Newbe here, with a problem with SG 9500

Happy Chappy

I am new to posting also, bare with me. Re-ferbing the 9500 (my first repair attempt also) I thought I de-sod the var resistors and de-tox them and check the resistors on the board. At point R11 and R12 (left ch), R31 and R32 (right ch) the schmac says that these resistors on board AWX 092-A are 1.1 omh but I get a reading of 910 and the color code reads: white, brown, brown, gold - 910 w/ 5% tolerance. Now my queston. Was this a factory mod and I'm looking at an old schmac or has someone made their own "up grade"? All other resistors are spot on as they say across the pond. Should I leave them alone or replace with same spec moderen resistors?

We frequently find differences between the scat and the unit. If the unit has not been repaired before or if it worked we stick with what is in the unit. Always possible that there were changes along the way and the manual was not updated. A working unmolested unit trumps any schematic.

Thanks for the info, Blue Shadow. You think I should up grade or just leave the old resistors in there and just re-cap the unit?

The service manual schematic shows R11/R12/R31/R32 as 1.1K ohms but the owners manual schematic indicates 910 ohms.

Les.

20180127_181651A.jpg

Well LesE, that is good to know, sets my mind at ease. Looks as if I need to get an onwers manual. Thanks for the info and the photo to boot!

I don't know if I would even recap it. Those caps have led a very easy life not amp heat. If the unit works and sounds good after a serious cleaning, all is good. Fix something else.

You know I thought about that, but with me being a rookie at refurbishing electronics I thought that this would be a good project for me to start with. Not much going on under the hood, so to speak, lots of room, lots of resistors and not that many caps. I don't even know how to order parts yet, but I'm reading info on the net and joining forums like this to gain knowledge. I would like to gain some confidence before I try to tackle a tuner and then an amp.
What do you think, would that be a SOUND aproch? Pun intened.:rflmao:

Last edited:
You know I thought about that, but with me being a rookie at refurbishing electronics I thought that this would be a good project for me to start with. Not much going on under the hood, so to speak, lots of room, lots of resistors and not that many caps. I don't even know how to order parts yet, but I'm reading info on the net and joining forums like this to gain knowledge. I would like to gain some confidence before I try to tackle a tuner and then an amp.
What do you think, would that be a SOUND aproch? Pun intened.:rflmao:

So do tell, did you end you re-capping the 9500?
I’m curious cause I own one as well. Mine seems to function fine but curious how things turned out.

Smokey

Back
Top Bottom