Newbie...first DIY turntable project

jaaani

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is John. This has got to be the most proper electronics forum on the net. Nice people here. I know how to use a solder gun but I know nothing about circuit electronics. Here's my project...

I've got a BSR turntable pulled from an old console system and was thinking of turning it into a stand alone TT. I don't have a digitall camera or a scanner so I'll be as detailed as possible i my description.

First of all my budget is $50 max. I don't think the TT is worth anymore than that to setup. I can get the wood for my base free so my budget would be for electronics and connectors of such. The needle is one that you can flip the stylis for 78's and then over for 33's. It is old probably original (early 70's).

Electronic parts I figure I'll need are: power cord, rca jack board and power supply?

Welp, without seeing the turntable, I would say that since the turntable has a ceramic type flip-over cartridge that it won't make a good candidate for conversion. On the BSR models that weren't magnetic from the factory, they did not use the standard 1/2" mounting for magnetic cartridges and they also used tension springs rather than counterweights to control the tracking force. They almost always had two-pole motors, lightweight platters and idler drives too. I'd suggest you look for a used Dual, Thorens or similar belt-driven TT. Good luck!

Originally posted by CELT
Welp, without seeing the turntable, I would say that since the turntable has a ceramic type flip-over cartridge that it won't make a good candidate for conversion. On the BSR models that weren't magnetic from the factory, they did not use the standard 1/2" mounting for magnetic cartridges and they also used tension springs rather than counterweights to control the tracking force. They almost always had two-pole motors, lightweight platters and idler drives too. I'd suggest you look for a used Dual, Thorens or similar belt-driven TT. Good luck!

Wow, I'm impressed CELT! You are correct about it having a tension spring in lieu of a counterweight. And it is not a belt drive that I can see. The motor is slightly off-center of the spindle.

So you're saying if this TT was a couple classes better it would be and could be done? Is there any link you can provide that goes through the step-by-step process of coverting one of these?

Anyways, this TT was one I found on a junk pile so no loss. It was part of a Sears console I'm guessing cause the bottom of the TT has a Sears label along with a BSR (made in Great Britain) label.

Yeah, it's an idler pulley type turntable. I wouldn't mess with it. Real noisy. The ceramic cartridges track anywhere from 3 to 10 grams (the average BSR tracks around 5 to 6) whereas a good magnetic cartridge will track between 1.25 to 2.5 grams. Even if you get a magnetic cartridge to fit it, the arm would never be able to pull it off. Vertical tracking angle, pickup height, lack of anti-skate all factor in to that. Also a ceramic cartridge's output level is much higher than that of a magnetic and are not compatible with most phono pre-amps, although many of the cheaper receivers (Magnavox, Realistic) gave you a choice between XTAL or MAG phono input levels.

why not try for fun?

Ok , so the turntable isn't great.

But many swear by idler wheel turntables. Yep the arm is crap for sure, so consider for a moment some ideas...

Make a new plinth. $0 as per your post.

Make a new arm ($50 or less for the DIY air bearing type).

Or look for a better table to start with. Old Duals can be had very inexpensively. Spend some money on a cartridge and your in business

Back
Top Bottom