Newbie here looking for advice jbl 250ti

Some folks here are recommending the Howards restore-a-finish, how do you feel about trying that first? Seems like a lot less work and less time consuming... would a light sanding and wipe down with this stuff maybe be a good option? If it fails them get more invasive?

Could you just give me a quick rundown of what the next steps would be with your process? I appreciate your previous detailed response, but i just want to know how much more involved it's going to get after the first few steps of your process.
I'll post that tonight,the finishing steps will be just as easy as trying to use Howard's however if you just did that it would be just polishing a turd.

Thank you
Ok my speakers started out like this and they are walnut, you'll see fading and a few chips on the bottom.

IMG_1387_zpsb988a6e1.jpg IMG_1403_zps9661b335.jpg

Here they are with all the oil washed off and a light sanding. This is where I left off with instructions on the first page.

IMG_1406_zpsb23a6944.jpg IMG_1407_zps587a7412.jpg

I then stained with Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain, they can be bought in quarts.
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=178

I actually mixed two colors and you thin it down with lacquer thinner. You saturate a rag and wipe it on trying to get it on fast and even. You don't want to move slow here and not have your rag wet enough. It evaporates fast and if areas start drying and you keep hitting them again it can get darker and darker.

IMG_1408_zpsf99186a8.jpg IMG_1409_zpsc35e133a.jpg IMG_1410_zps8aaf9ebe.jpg IMG_1411_zpsa2f7069f.jpg

You'll see that the faded sides are gone, the staining evens out the color of the cabinets. I also didn't bother filling the chips on the bottom, they stained darker also and you really don't notice them.

BTW, on my speakers you can see a dark area where the speaker grills are. Wall nut can be very dark purplely had I sanded with a machine they would have started to look blotchy, and I would of had to sand all the fading out to new looking wood. Well most people like the orange amber look the walnut changed to over many years. If you sand wood a lot you'll make it look new again.

The finish step is as easy as all the others, it's a wipe on polly, but doesn't look like a marine varnish or anything like that.

Mohawk Pour-n-Wipe
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=215
All these stains and finishes are more than you need for these speakers buying quarts, but you can finish other thing with them as well.

As the name implies you just pour and wipe, being vertical you need to pour it on a rag. You wipe it on like an oil forcing it into the grain, cross grain and with the grain your final wipe. It starts to get tacky in around 10-15 minutes so make sure your done wipping before that with the wet rage.

First coat

IMG_1415_zpsdf9bf29d.jpg IMG_1416_zpse08246c7.jpg IMG_1418_zps7679b642.jpg

Let dry at least 4 hours before another coat.

Red scotch bright padding and the second coat.

IMG_1427_zpscad66dcf.jpg IMG_1428_zps244a28a9.jpg IMG_1431_zps957df573.jpg

Really this finish is so easy and fast. The speakers landed on my porch Monday evening, my woofer surounds came Tuesday. With just a few hours after work each night I had the speakers back together and listening to them on Friday evening.

Monday took them apart
Tuesday washed the oil off and light sanding, fixed the woofers.
Wednesday die staining and first coat
Thursday second coat
Friday put them back together and pushed them in my system.

Wow! Thanks for detailed instructions. Looking at yours, mine look like they might be walnut also. It's so difficult to distinguish between the teak and walnut, ugh! I'm going to do it your way, I'll keep you posted on how it's going!

Wow! Thanks for detailed instructions. Looking at yours, mine look like they might be walnut also. It's so difficult to distinguish between the teak and walnut, ugh! I'm going to do it your way, I'll keep you posted on how it's going!
And ask for help along the way, you can send me a message for my phone number.

Back
Top Bottom