newbie need advice!

oldscratch

excuse my ignorance, but...... i have some speakers that are from the fifties but there is no rating info on them. how can i tell what ohms they're good for or they're wattage ? BTW there are 3 input connections (screws) in back. thanks in advance. -art

Can you give us some more information?

Any labels or tags? How many drivers? Sizes? Size of the speaker cabinets? Woodgrain vinyl or real wood veneer?

Pictures would help!

In the meantime, if you connect them to the 8-ohm outputs on your amp you should be fine. Keep the volume reasonable until you find out more information and you won't hurt anything.

more info on muntz speakers

ok, first of all, i'm not nuts. these speakers are "muntz stereo pac" wall mount speakers circa 1950. for their date they are very thin, about 2". they are walnut cased and measure 3' by 1.5' approx. i can't get the covers off, maybe glued or stapled. no one seem to know anything about them, and one guy already told me he doesn't believe they exist, but i have one mint in box. i just want to run these on a mild system for "wow" factor. thanks

MUNTZ update

posting this 'cause now i have pics and more info on these speakers. they are very early examples of the first "slim" wall-mount speakers. they were probably not produced until about the early sixties with the invention of the 4-track tape by Earl "Mad Man" Muntz. this was apparently an available option for the muntz stereo pak, which was made for cars, but could be used indoors with the proper (transformer? is that right?). pics attached with shoe (size 10.5) and phone book for reference. thanks

Welcome Aboard!

You could always measure the resistance across the terminals, that will give you a pretty close value for their resistance. As far as power rating, I don't know what they would handle, but you would be better off hooking them up to a receiver with more power than they need than less to prevent clipping and possibly damaging the speakers. Hope this helps!

This is based on a fading (OK, faded) memory, but ... three terminals? Didn't "70-volt" distribution systems have 3 terminals (2 primaries and a "common")? Might these be from such a system? I remember something like this from a friend's father's "whole house" sound system back in the 60's. If I'm hallucinating, feel free to tell me so ...

Back
Top Bottom