Newbie Needs Advice on Finishing First Setup

Ccannon1023

Hello all. If there is a better thread for this, just say the word and I'll move it...

So, my past experience has been solely around loudspeakers and dj turntable setups. But as of this moment, I am attempting to put together an everyday lowish budget set up in the living room and I need some advice.

I have an SL-D2 w/ ATN95E and an art DJPRE2 preamp (which were running to a pair of studio monitors which just died-hence the upgrade). So, I am looking at buying a pair of Klipsch R-15M to fill my average size living room without driving my cranky neighbor crazy. And I have two questions: One, will these speakers provide a well-rounded sound (I have read some reviews that they focus on the highs) for various music types (soul, ambient, disco)? If no, please suggest some bookshelf speakers that are small in size like the R-15M's because I am low on shelf space. And two, what kind of amp would go best with this set up that won't break my budget by needlessly surpassing the other equipment in quality, and would enable me to use bluetooth (I am okay w/ adapters)?

Many thanks for your opinions.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the klisch speakers but I've had good luck with q acoustics on a budget. For an amp I've found the pioneer a 20 to be a good budget amp. Might want to look into an onkyo a9010 as well. I love it's bigger brother the a9050 but I believe it has been discontinued. Good luck!

My Jamo towers are "foreward" in the treble, but ive tamed them a bit by going with tube buffers and preamps. Brings the mids up and rolls off the highs a bit, while still maintaining clarity.

Hello all. If there is a better thread for this, just say the word and I'll move it...

So, my past experience has been solely around loudspeakers and dj turntable setups. But as of this moment, I am attempting to put together an everyday lowish budget set up in the living room and I need some advice.

I have an SL-D2 w/ ATN95E and an art DJPRE2 preamp (which were running to a pair of studio monitors which just died-hence the upgrade). So, I am looking at buying a pair of Klipsch R-15M to fill my average size living room without driving my cranky neighbor crazy. And I have two questions: One, will these speakers provide a well-rounded sound (I have read some reviews that they focus on the highs) for various music types (soul, ambient, disco)? If no, please suggest some bookshelf speakers that are small in size like the R-15M's because I am low on shelf space. And two, what kind of amp would go best with this set up that won't break my budget by needlessly surpassing the other equipment in quality, and would enable me to use bluetooth (I am okay w/ adapters)?

Many thanks for your opinions.

The key point in your question is "FIRST SETUP". If you're like most of us, it will only be the start of a sickness.
I'm not familiar with the R-15Ms but they look similar to my RB-61IIs (discontinued) but without the Bass-port. I like the 61s but found them a bit too bright and paired them with a pair of old BA HD5s and the combination gave a very lovely sound.
Good luck with your new found hobby and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom