Newbie not sure he's in the right place...

jmdocs

Hello all,

My name is Jeff and I'm in Chicago, with a problem I'm not sure where (or if) to post here. This is definitely not the high-end realm. I have a great old Webcor Musicale tabletop phonograph that has been putting out wonderful warm woody sound for years but is due for some service (speed issues lead me to believe a belt needs replaced, for one thing.) It seems like the kind of thing I could handle myself but without guidance, I'll make it worse rather than better, I suspect. Anyhow, looking through the threads I'm not sure I'm in the right league here, but any thoughts would be welcome. I would love to keep this old gal going (and for the record I do at least know how damaging that heavy tone arm can be, so it's reserved for non-valuable discs. Mono Capitol-era Sinatra...)

Any advice welcome--including someone in the area whom I might hire to do this. I've been in Videokarma for a while and always found it a very welcoming forum, and assume this one is too. Sorry for the longwinded post.

Jeff M.
Chicago, IL

Hi Jeff and welcome. You should post about this with some pics over in the Turntables forum. People will help you find and replace that belt and do whatever else needs to be done on that beastie - probably needs bearings lubed and such.

I assume it has a tube amp and speaker built in? Has that ever been serviced? It may be in need of capacitor replacement. You can find out all about that either here in the Tube forum, or at VK.

Welcome
As mentioned above, the turntable forum is the place to post. Don't be shy, there are lots of good folks here with a variety of gear and skill levels. Dig in.
And thanks for your intro!

It seems strange to say welcome to someone who has been here four years longer than me, but welcome nonetheless.

Post some pics of that beauty through the restoration please, if anyone does a web search for one, they will find a good wealth of knowledge from your contributions.

Hi Jeff, this is the right site and the best place to make an introduction!!

Welcome from a fellow Midwesterner. I'm over the river and through the woods, just to the left of you, on the map.

Hi5

Welcome to the land of AK sound.

As already mentioned, questions are not appreciated in this "Intro" forum, but should be directed to the appropriate one, wherein you may get help.

And indeed, you could get some direction or help with your "Webcore Musicale" from the 50's'60's.

There's a sub section forum, "Vintage Television & Radio" wherein the pre 60's gear is dealt with. You probably would/could find some answers for your... "tabletop Coronet"?

Good luck on your quest for maintenance,

Q

Back
Top Bottom