[Newbie] PL-12 tonearm lifter not rising enough

D7029

Firstly, greetings to all - long-time lurker, first time poster here. Very impressed with some of your setups but don't have the kind of money to stretch to a vintage Garrard or Thorens let alone some of what you guys have...

Anyway, I picked up a really cheap Pioneer PL-12 off That Auction Website. It has no cartridge or headshell but just to prove the seller's claim that it was in good working order I temporarily installed the Audio Technica ATN 71 cart and shell from my regular deck (Technics SL-Q3), pending delivery of a new cart for the Pioneer. The PL-12 spins and plays vinyl well but I noticed that the tonearm lift mechanism didn't work very well and was barely lifting the arm and stylus clear of the record.

Is there a easy solution to this problem; just adjusting some linkage for example? I downloaded the service manual from VinylEngine but couldn't see anything obvious. Or is this problem maybe just because I didn't bother rebalancing the arm for the AT cart and shell which is heavier than that fitted previously? I really want to get this deck working well for possible use on a secondary system (I love the Technics too much to displace it!)

Also, out of curiosity, what's the difference between the PL-12 and the mk 2 version of this deck?

There is a setscrew on the right side of the arm lift shaft. Loosen it and adjust the lifter to where you want it to be then tighten.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom