Newbie to forum

Blue Meanie

Scratch 'n' Sniff
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, and just thought I'd say hi. And I hope you won't mind if I relate an incident that occurred about a month ago.
In my line of work, I do a lot of driving. One morning I was heading to a particular place when my cell phone rang. It was my boss relaying some instructions to me. Needing to pull over to write down the important bits, I hung a right onto a short dead end street and parked my truck. When finished writing, I proceeded to the end of the dead end street and pulled into a driveway to turn around. As I was pulling into the driveway, on my left I noticed a pile of 3 or 4 Onkyo and Toshiba boxes (new home theater stuff, I guess). Nothing special about those. But I noticed, sitting on top of the pile, what appeared to be an older stereo receiver. Now I'm not normally a garbage picker, and it had been misting earlier in the morning, so everything was damp.
But for some reason, I jumped out of the truck, grabbed the receiver (and nearly got a hernia), and zoomed off, embarrassed about taking someone's garbage. The receiver sat in the back of the truck all day and I never even got to look at it until 12 hours later when I got home. So I take it in the house, and let it dry out for 3 days before plugging it in ( and crossing my fingers ).
The thing was in near mint condition, with only a few scratches to the wood case, and 3 knobs missing from 3 of the switches. So I hooked it up to an old pair of Pioneer speakers that were collecting dust. Powered it up and it worked perfectly except for the pots needing to be cleaned and lubed. Once that task was accomplished, I had a perfectly functioning Sansui 9090! Even all the lights are working, much to my surprise...
I love the sound of this thing, even hooked up to those old pioneer speakers. One of these days, when I'm feeling ambitious, I'm gonna haul the thing out to the living room and hook it up to my Paradigm Reference Studio 100s, and see if I can blow the windows out!
Anyway, I get the impression that the Sansui 9090 is a fairly well thought of receiver. Is that just among Sansui fans? Is it one of the better pieces manufactured by Sansui? Did I get a good deal(grin)? Also, are the amps in the 9090 considered fairly high current (need a fair amount of current to drive the Studio 100s)?
Anybody got some knobs for sale?
Well, thanks for letting me tell my story. Sorry I was so long winded.

Jeff
P.S. Only problem, the damn thing is too big for any of my stereo cabinets!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome!

A 9090 for free? I would say thats a pretty good deal :D What you have is a very nice, solid receiver that puts out 110 real watts per channel. I'm pretty sure they are 4 ohm stable, and would drive most speakers easily. Its generally regarded as one of Sansui's best, and one of the better receivers of the '70s.

Hello Blue Meanie

Welcome to AudioKarma

Great score!!!! Free is about the best price you can get for anything :D

You shoudn't have any trouble with the 9090 driving ANY speakers - it's got 110 W of cojones :)

The 9090 and 9090db are among Sansui's most desired components, just ask Moondog, Fred, Night Wolf, Buzz, Kamakiri... :huge:

Chris

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. It's nice to be here.

I am glad to hear that the 9090 is one of Sansui's better pieces.
At the price I paid for it (free), I couldn't be happier.

My first receiver back in the seventies was a Pioneer SX-780, and I know I shouldn't be saying what I'm going to say in THIS forum,
but I've always had the impression that the Pioneer receivers from the mid to late seventies were of slightly better build quality than similar units from Sansui of the same period (as I don my asbestos suit). Here in Wisconsin, way back when, MOST of the folks I knew had either Pioneer or Marantz receivers, with the Marantz being considered a step above the Pioneers. Only the "poor" kids had Sansui or JVC receivers. Whether these impressions are true or not, I don't know, and will leave to the electronics experts to argue.

That being said, with all the tinkering I've done with the 9090 the last couple of weeks, I have a new found respect for Sansui vintage receivers. I STILL prefer the "looks" of the Pioneers (personal choice), but I have given up the idea of getting a vintage Pioneer receiver because of the stellar performance of the Sansui...

By the way, I finally dragged the 9090 out of the bedroom and hooked it up to my Paradigm Studio 100s last night. Perhaps it is merely my imagination, but I SWEAR I can hear a major improvement using the 9090 instead of my punk-ass Sony HT receiver (which I loathe). It makes me wish there were vintage DD/DTS receivers. So now I'm in a state of quandary. I like the sound of the Sony for home theater, but I prefer the Sansui for music. What's a poor boy to do?

Jeff

Last edited:
Hey Meanie,

Where are ya located ?? I`m here in Janesville WI.

Nice find on the 9090, you lucky dog !!

John

Originally posted by Johnny
Hey Meanie,

Where are ya located ?? I`m here in Janesville WI.

Nice find on the 9090, you lucky dog !!

John

Hey Johnny,

Does it really matter WHERE I'm from in Wisconsin? It's FREEZING EVERYWHERE IN WISCONSIN!! I HATE this friggin' state!!!

But seriously, I'm from a suburb of Milwaukee called Franklin, about 2 miles west of Lake Michigan.

So you're from Janesville, huh? Never been there. I Did have a girlfriend named Jane at one time. Does that count? She wasn't ignorant, but she WAS a slut...:puke:

And yes, I consider myself lucky finding the 9090. I was also lucky getting rid of Jane also. But I digress...

I was working as a maintenance man at a local hotel a few years back, and they were nice enough to give me one of their Technics SL-1800mk2 turntables for free when they upgraded at the nightclub in the hotel. Nothing fancy, but it works perfectly (except for the target light which I still haven't replaced), and the price was right. It looks kind of out of place with my newer home theater setup, but will fit perfectly with the 9090. Here's a blurry pic of one of my equipment cabinets. You can kinda see the turntable on the top shelf... Which has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Sansui, now that I think about it. Sorry guys...

Do you have any vintage equipment?

Jeff

Last edited:
Hey Jeff

Neat, I could throw a rock at ya from here !! Nice to have someone from the forum near by. We get up to Milwaukee area every once in a while for a concert or just to get away. Do you hit any of the shows up there ??

I have a few pieces of vintage gear, Kenwood KR-9600, Sansui G9700, a really nice old Sherwood, couple of pairs of vintage speakers, and other odds and ends. Not alot compared with some of the nuts here ;) but always looking to expand my collection.

Nice to have you on board.

John

Hmmmm ... I prefer to have completely separate systems. My HT setup is just for the TV (comprising the Pioneer Elite VSX-99, a pair of Yamaha NS-A838 for L & R, another pair for center (powered by a Kenwood KM-206), and a pair of NS-A638 for surrounds). The vintage-based stereos are too numerous to mention here, but there are about 9 systems right now, as I sometimes mix and match.

No more Sansui, I've just sent off the G-9700.

I would like a 9090, though, or mebbe an AU-919 or 719.

pete, a crazed vintage fanatic
(oh, for the HT, I forgot the other pair of AAL D-5550 on the center channel)
(stuff IS stacked high around here, it's not a very big place)

Originally posted by Johnny
Hey Jeff

Neat, I could throw a rock at ya from here !! Nice to have someone from the forum near by. We get up to Milwaukee area every once in a while for a concert or just to get away. Do you hit any of the shows up there ??

I have a few pieces of vintage gear, Kenwood KR-9600, Sansui G9700, a really nice old Sherwood, couple of pairs of vintage speakers, and other odds and ends. Not alot compared with some of the nuts here ;) but always looking to expand my collection.

Nice to have you on board.

John

I don't get to any concerts any more. I'm in my 40s, so most of the concerts I have seen happened in the 70s and 80s. In Milwaukee, have seen Boston, Aerosmith, Huey Lewis, Doobie Brothers, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, etc. Saw most of my concerts at Alpine Valley though, about halfway to you, right? Boston, Todd Rundgren, Doobies(4 times), Kansas, Styx, Cheap Trick, etc.

Sounds like you've got a nice start on a vintage collection. All I got is my Sansui 9090 and my Technics turntable. My collecting passion isn't really vintage electronics, it's Major Matt Mason stuff from the 60s. My favorite toys when I was a kid. So call me weird... :rolleyes:

And thanks for the welcome. It's nice to be on board...

Last edited:
Originally posted by bully
Hmmmm ... I prefer to have completely separate systems. My HT setup is just for the TV (comprising the Pioneer Elite VSX-99, a pair of Yamaha NS-A838 for L & R, another pair for center (powered by a Kenwood KM-206), and a pair of NS-A638 for surrounds). The vintage-based stereos are too numerous to mention here, but there are about 9 systems right now, as I sometimes mix and match.

No more Sansui, I've just sent off the G-9700.

I would like a 9090, though, or mebbe an AU-919 or 719.

pete, a crazed vintage fanatic
(oh, for the HT, I forgot the other pair of AAL D-5550 on the center channel)
(stuff IS stacked high around here, it's not a very big place)

I too would prefer separate systems. But I only have one pair of really good speakers. My other 3 pairs are Cerwin Vega DX9s, Realistic Mach2s, And a pair of Pioneer 3 ways I can't remember the model # of.

9 systems? You ARE a crazed vintage fanatic! I guess I come from a different school of thought. Being a poor person, I'd rather have one or two KILLER systems (whether vintage or brand new), rather than spread the same amount of cash out on lots of lesser systems. But hey, to each his own!

Jeff

That is 9 KILLER stereo systems, with a lot of gear left over 'cause I haven't the room to get 'em set up.
Mach Two's are a great old speaker system, I have been running a pair with the Denon POA-2200/Kenwood Basic C-2 system! I'd forgot just how nice they do sound.
With a couple exceptions, everything I have was TOTL.

pete, crazed but not stoopid :cool:
My BIG stereo runs out at a minimum 600 wpc into 8 ohms, 900 wpc into 4 ohms, stable AND rated for 775 wpc into 2 ohms. Big JBLs are efficient, too. That system WILL physically abuse not only eardrums but slam you and make it seem difficult to breath.

200 wpc component systems are no more than like #5 & #6 in the pecking order here ...

Bully,
Sounds like you've got some ass-kicking stuff. I guess my point is: why have SO MANY systems? Must drive your wife/significant other crazy.:D

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom