blau

So this is a world of firsts! I've had many stereos but this is my first Hi-fi system so I thought it might be a good idea to join a forum (my first) in order to get some help. This is my first post (exciting)!:banana:

I currently have:
-Technics SL-1200 MKII with the Cardas tonearm rewire, KAB RCA Jack Plate and Grado Prestige Blue cartridge.
-I'm still experimenting with mats but currently just have a simple anti-static mat.
-A pair of Dynaco MKIV mono block tube amps.
-Bellari Rolls phono preamp.
-A pair of Polk RTi6 speakers

Coming soon:
Fluid Damper, Sorbothane feet, Z-Headshell from LP Gear and turntable stablizer weight. I'll probably go with DIY interconnects - solid copper core conductors with teflon tubing for insulation terminated with Cardas RCAs.

I obviously need a preamp and am thinking about speakers as well. I'm kind of on a budget. I can probably spend $200 on speakers and $300 on a preamp. Used is fine. Vintage is preferable but not at the expense of sound. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm fairly new here too, but I have a few suggestions for possible preamp ideas. My father-in-law uses a ps audio 4.5 pre that sounds damn good and I've seen them and the 4.6 model on ebay going for well below your budget. It also might be fun to stick with the dynaco theme and grab one of their preamps. While you're at it, you could probably pick up some dynaco a25 speakers at a decent price too. Well, just a few suggestions and welcome to the forum.

Eric, that looks like a great listening room! What do you think about the Dynaco Preamp. I was thinking about a PAS because they are among the more affordable tube preamps that I could find and it would match my amps. Not too fond of the looks but if it sounds good I might just do it. I was also thinking about vintage Marantz solid state. Maybe a 3300, 3250 or 1090 (just the preamp module via preamp outs.) They look great but I've never heard one.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Welcome!

Here's what I'd do -

1. Take $50 and buy an Alps Blue Velvet pot, some RCA jacks, a few resistors, a toggle switch and an aluminum enclosure.

2. Build a Redboy-style two input passive preamp (you can find it by searching "proof of concept passive").

3. Sell the Polks.

4. Take the remaining $450 plus the proceeds from your Polk sale and buy a pair of Cornwalls.

Just my opinion, of course. YMMV

BTW, some very nice gear you have there.

The "passive preamp" looks interesting. Especially since I'm totally down for some DIY. I run Tape Out to my computer's sound card for the purposes of recording my vinyl to digital so that I can put a copy in my car. I'll have to modify the design to have RCA outputs. The only problem is since my source is a turntable I'll still need a phono stage. This essentially just turns one box (a preamp) into two boxes (an attenuator and a phono stage) and I loose the advantage of removing components from my system. This might make things more complicated without giving much sound improvement.

Interesting idea though. I could definitely get some better speakers.

Eric, that looks like a great listening room! What do you think about the Dynaco Preamp. I was thinking about a PAS because they are among the more affordable tube preamps that I could find and it would match my amps. Not too fond of the looks but if it sounds good I might just do it. I was also thinking about vintage Marantz solid state. Maybe a 3300, 3250 or 1090 (just the preamp module via preamp outs.) They look great but I've never heard one.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

The Dynaco that I have was gifted to me from my step-father. He built it himself late-'60s, and did the 3X mod in the early-'70s. It had been sitting at the back of a cabinet for a couple decades until just recently. I'm was just happy that it still works. I have plans to do some upgrades (power supply, volume and balance controls), but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It sounds pretty good in comparison to the built-in phono section of my Pioneer receiver, and I've read comments from quite a few people that these units can be easily modded for excellent performance.

If you're buying one from the big auction site, shop carefully. It's going to be a crapshoot, but you might get a good one.

...The only problem is since my source is a turntable I'll still need a phono stage. This essentially just turns one box (a preamp) into two boxes (an attenuator and a phono stage) and I loose the advantage of removing components from my system. This might make things more complicated without giving much sound improvement.

Interesting idea though. I could definitely get some better speakers.

True, but the total footprint would be smaller than a regular preamp.

I used this exact setup (passive attenuator and Bellari VP129) with a Magnavox tube amp and it sounded excellent to my ears. You can see it here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3935449

And here (post 6963)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4128272

That looks cool! I've been thinking about it and think that might be the way I'm going to go. Do you have any gut shots? I'm kinda new to DIY. I know how to solder but haven't really done anything from scratch.

Thanks for the tips on the passive pre! I finished building it over the weekend and my system is officially on line. I did a couple of mods to the design though. I added a line level out to run to my computer sound card and I added a second input using a DPDT. The line level output is really just a switchable pass through. I put the whole thing in a metal Ratshack project enclosure. I actually bought everything from Ratshack and it cost about $20 but that included a two pack of knobs (I only needed one) and way more wire than I needed. The next one will be with premium parts and I'm stealing Redboy's idea of putting it in a cigar box but I'm going to put shielding inside (in the form of foil tape) and I'm going to add an on/off switch for the line level out.

If anyone has more suggestions on speakers I would greatly appreciate it. I've been finding that there are far more speaker manufacturers than I previously thought and the ones that I know of (KEF, B&W, Tannoy, etc.) come on sale far less frequently than I previously thought. Tips on where (other than eBay) to buy used stuff would be great too.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Another simple passive pre, eh? Pictures are almost required, when you get the time to post some. :)

Asking for speaker recommendations will get you buried in options. Why don't you give us an idea of what you'd like them to do?

Consider:
  • Size - floorstanders or bookshelf speakers?
  • New or vintage?
  • Room considerations? Can't put cornerhorns in a broom closet...
  • Listening style - late night quiet sessions, or frat house parties?
  • Music preference - Chamber orchestras or Metallica?

That said, for $200 I would be watching for a pair of Dynaco A25 or Boston Acoustics A150. Search your local Craigslist dilligently, hit the thrift shops, or become an AK Subscriber and post a Wanted ad in Barter Town.

:thmbsp:
Nate

Gut shots to come. (It's not very pretty so that is an especially fitting term in this case.)

Attachments

• ampL.jpg
    ampL.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ampL2.jpg
    ampL2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 33
  • ampR.jpg
    ampR.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 29
  • passivepre.jpg
    passivepre.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 42
  • system.jpg
    system.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 41
  1. As for speakers, I'm looking for bookshelf. I'm currently running the signal through my Polk sub (PSW110) via speaker level inputs and outs to filter out the super lows then on to the mains (Polk RTi6's.)
  2. Vintage or new is fine (although I like the look of vintage over new.)
  3. They are for a room that is about 20'Wx20'Dx15H' that has carpet and lots of furniture.
  4. I generally listen to my music at a moderate to low level so accuracy and depth of sound stage are more important to me than power.
  5. I listen to mostly indie rock and folk with a little oldies, jazz and classical for diversity.
I just read the thread on Dynaco A25's today. That might be the first direction I go. They will go well with my Dynaco amps. Other suggestions still welcome though. I'm sort of a burgeoning audiophile so I don't have much experience and don't have the money to start collecting pairs like some.

Also, the crossover on my sub is adjustable. Any thoughts on what I should set it at?

Gut Shots

Here it is. Gut shots!:uzi: It's a little messy because I had to wire the grounds. I also spliced the resistors into the wire running from the DPDT to the pot. I'm not sure if that's how I was supposed to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_9669.jpg
    IMG_9669.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9673.jpg
    IMG_9673.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom