Newest member of family...SX-3900

Texas42

Well, I can't say I 'stole' it, as I paid a fair price for it. But it is in excellent shape and has just been gone over by a certified tech with all bulbs replaced and no scratchy controls. I go pick it up tomorrow. I guess this was at the end of Pioneer's Silver era and probably the last decent 'monter' receiver they made. While I'm sure it won't stack up againt an SX-1980, 1250, etc...any thoughts, comments about this particular unit? I've always liked the flouroscan meters and digital readout for the tuner much like in the Sansui G-8700DB I once had.

Very nice looking, and very fast amplifier. The only one I worked on was Wardsweb's, and the plastic connectors on the output transistors has disintegrated. I had to custom build new ends (the originals are NLA), but once that was done everything was fine.

Very detailed sounding. No disappointments. I'd pop the bottom off and check the condition of those plastic connectors on the output transistors though... :scratch2:

Actually, it was looking at Wardsweb's SX-3900 when I was visiting with him months ago that the seed of getting one was planted. I just wanted to find one in better than average condition and one that tested out good. You did a great job on his Echo-Wars. It looked and sounded great!

I looked at Sansui Louie's 3900 last night (we concluded the tuner issue was a job for Punker)...very nice unit. Jam-packed in there though! A 3700 he had followed me home, got that on the bench for a cleaning now. Nice unit...I'm impressed with it.

This series isn't as stout chassis-wise as the xx50 and previous, but they're still fine units. I'd love to find a good 3900.

TP

I was looking for a 3900 when I found a beat up 3700 and just felt sorry for it.
It's about to mate with another 3700 that looks much better. Then the offspring
will be added to my shop system.
Still love those 3900's though.

Texas42 said:
Well, I can't say I 'stole' it, as I paid a fair price for it.

Paying a fair price is nothing to be ashamed of. :yes: Why would you want to say you "stole" it? That's nothing to be proud of in my book.

The SX-3900 is a nice Reciever. Not as well built as the "classic" units that preceded it (SX-1980, SX-1250 and SX-1010), since the dollar/yen ratio was already taking its toll, but a nice piece none the less.

CONGRATULATIONS! :banana:

vintagestereo said:
Paying a fair price is nothing to be ashamed of. :yes: Why would you want to say you "stole" it? That's nothing to be proud of in my book.

Obviously the term "stole it" means to obtain for FAR less than market value. I never mind buying at what I consider a 'fair' price. By the same token, I never try to 'inflate' what I sell my gear for either. My wishes are always that both parties are content with the transaction. I doubt anyone goes into this hobby to make money, although I'm sure there are a few that treat it like the stock market-- buy low, sell hi. Nothing wrong with that either, I guess, just not my approach to it.

Regards,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom