Newly Acquried Executive III W-1000-2A

PaulWC

Hi everyone. I've been following the posts and it's about time I introduce myself and my newly acquired 1959 Executive III in walnut modern. Plan on restoring the electronics and enjoying this beauty. I currently have a '61 800 TA.
I do have one question regarding the Garrard 88/4 turntable that it came with. It is the stereo version but the literature states to set it to track at 10 grams, which is heavy for LP longevity. I'm considering an early 60's Dual unit. Can the Garrard be modified to track lighter?

Front Executive III.jpg
picture.php

IMG_20140405_105454_765.jpg
picture.php

Last edited:
WOW! You'll love it. What else can you share about how you found it? I was just in your area last week. It's been some time since a "new" Exec has been added to the roster.

CONGRATULATIONS!

WELCOME to the club PAULWC. :banana: WOW! :banana: That is a BEAUT! Serial 10105A-P or 10185A-P.
If you put
tags before and after your links they will come up as pics like below.

I'll BET The RED1 will want to DOCUMENT it thoroughly!

The Garrard can be set to a lighter weight, but it depends on the cartridge you have in it. Most carts back then weighted from 5-10gr. If your cart can track @ 4-5gr go ahead and adjust it and see. This is from the rc98/4 and should be similar to the 99 (which I've not heard of).

attachment.php

Damn that is just so.....:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_95 Apr. 07 13.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_95 Apr. 07 13.10.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 384
WOW! You'll love it. What else can you share about how you found it? I was just in your area last week. It's been some time since a "new" Exec has been added to the roster.

CONGRATULATIONS!
I've been scanning the local craigslist, eBay, and estate sales ads for many years for a President console. This past Friday a photo of "a vintage stereo in cabinet" showed up on an online ad for an estate sale down in Waldrof, MD, starting on Saturday. I knew exactly what the photo was of (thanks to the fisher console site)! I got up at 6 a.m. to be the first in line, and I was. A super bargain at $150. Been on cloud nine every since.
Still looking for the President model but know I'm lucky to have found an Executive.

WELCOME to the club PAULWC. :banana: WOW! :banana: That is a BEAUT! Serial 10105A-P or 10185A-P.
If you put
tags before and after your links they will come up as pics like below.

The Garrard can be set to a lighter weight, but it depends on the cartridge you have in it. Most carts back then weighted from 5-10gr. If your cart can track @ 4-5gr go ahead and adjust it and see. This is from the rc98/4 and should be similar to the 99 (which I've not heard of).

attachment.php

Damn that is just so.....:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
Thanks for the tips on posting the pictures in the thread. The serial number is 10185A-P. It's funny the "A-P" is written in ink. Also the "A" in "2A" in the model number is inked in. Looks like a factory correction at the time of build. The cabinet stamping on the bottom is 1/59. The Garrard model is RC88/4 - sorry for the typo. Thanks for the Garrard info.

Hiya,

Really nice find :)

Glad its going to live in a nice home whole and hale.

Frannie

The 88/4 and 98/4 are similar. Both have instruction manuals @ vinylengine.com.
This is from th 88/4 manual
attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_96 Apr. 07 13.42.jpg
    ScreenHunter_96 Apr. 07 13.42.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 376
Congratulations, Paul! That's a beauty. I believe yours is the first Executive III thus far here at AK's Fisher forum. I'll be sure to add it to the Roster when I get around to updating - hopefully sometime soon. Were you able to learn any of its history at the estate sale?

After reviewing the literature I have on that model, the only thing I can add to what's been said and what's on the website is that the cabinet for the Executive III was specifically advertised as being manufactured by Widdicomb-Mueller. The chassis are fairly well documented here at AK. Interesting that Fisher was using the alternate console model numbers in 1959 - though I believe that was also revealed in this recent thread on hhibrownsbac's '59 Futura II which has the same chassis.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=582680

Seems like Paul's doing a good job of that himself. But, of course, we will want to see and hear more as the project progresses. Perhaps when you're finished you might invite some of us MAFCRS (Mid Atlantic Fisher Console Rescue Squad) over for a listen.

Does yours also have the tape recorder?

I contacted Widdicomb regarding a Fisher connection but the company was merged with Stickley and I don't believe they have an archive going back to the era. The Fisher cabinets are truly remarkable regardless of who made them. The lacquer finish and woods are TOTL. Even the cane work on the speakers screams quality. Add superior Fisher electronics, what was considered one of the finest record changers of the time and throw in a 2 and 4-track r2r and you can see the value in the initial investment. These were considered show pieces when new, but they have the "legs" to run the distance against any competitor of the era. To me, there is nothing better than a Fisher console.

These were built to last. Thankfully, many have survived in excellent condition to be enjoyed by a new generation.

While the amp says it's an X-1000, the proper schematic will be the X-101 (ST).

Even I could learn to love that console.

I saw thecabinet manufacturer name printed on the bottom of the cabinet. I don't recall it now but will take a look this evening and post it. This unit, being a "2A", does not contain the reel to reel. I guess you can't have everything.

Love your Avatar Paul. One of the very few chrysler products that I actually like. 59 or 60?

If you'd like a lighter tracking changer that has similar cosmetics to the RC88, shop around for a Type A, or better yet, an A70. Both are side pusher mechanisms derived from the RC88, but they run lighter. The A70 is the last of the side pusher Garrards, and will happily track at a gram and a half. A Type A will do 2-3 grams.

That is one fine machine you got there. The cabinet is beautiful.

That is a keeper

If you'd like a lighter tracking changer that has similar cosmetics to the RC88, shop around for a Type A, or better yet, an A70. Both are side pusher mechanisms derived from the RC88, but they run lighter. The A70 is the last of the side pusher Garrards, and will happily track at a gram and a half. A Type A will do 2-3 grams.
Good advice. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom