1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Newly refurbished EPI 100's, they sound AMAZING!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by TaddNOhio, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Goggle1824

Goggle1824 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You bet!

Plus.. “O H!”

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TaddNOhio

TaddNOhio AK Subscriber Subscriber

I-O

Goggle1824 likes this.
  3. TaddNOhio

I am really surprised there is not much more talk about these vintage EPI speakers .. maybe alot of folks have never actually listened to them. They just seem the perfect match with my Marantz 2245 and Sony ps-x600 turntable, the sound to me is very very good and everyone who i've let listen to them is really impressed

4. Goggle1824

There is, do a search for them and you’ll find plenty. Also, in many, many ways those are very much “just the beginning...” so often times folks get curious and try the 110’s, or come across the 150’s, or the 201’s, 202’s and so forth...

The original 100’s are the base “module” from a wonderfully brilliant speaker designer with an strong pedigree, Winslow Burhoe.

A very knowledgeable former EPI/EPICURE employee is a member here, and at times is a frequent contributor (saea501), most who venture into EPI/EPICURE speakers who heed his advice are often very, very pleased that they did. He really knows how to get the absolute best of many of the orginal and many agree “best” EPI models.

Several other AK members have (or have had) several models, from the 100’s up through the M1000 towers. Enjoy the ride man, enjoy it! :music: :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    TaddNOhio likes this.
  5. ultumax

ultumax Super Member

Didn’t think about trying Pa woofers for replacements . In a speaker ! Haha.cool
    Looks higher end did it cost a lot?

6. Balrog2112

Balrog2112 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Found theses 30 years ago no speakers. Showed someone on here a picture of them, they pointed me to Huw . The rest is history . I love them.

satellite, TaddNOhio and Goggle1824 like this.

7. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those are exactly what I have. I liked them so much, they are going into a bedroom system I’m putting together featuring the EPI M100s, McIntosh MA-6200, a Dual 1019, and an Aiwa M700 Cassette Deck. I’ve already tested them together and really loved what I heard. More importantly, my wife does too! :naughty:

satellite, TaddNOhio and Goggle1824 like this.
  8. Goggle1824

202’s, nice, solid low frequency reproduction, beautiful high frequencies, directionally.

9. ultumax

ultumax Super Member

Looks like a bi or dipole design way before surrounds sound . Epic !!! So cool what’s the model #?

10. TaddNOhio

11. Balrog2112

Balrog2112 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg There are 202's or 250's they were empty so had nothing to go off of to really tell. I know am on the look out for their big brother.

12. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Congrats to you, Tadd. I have a pair of Epi Model 20's that I transplanted to a pair of 201 cabinets. I also used Huw's crossover.

The sound is exceptional, tho they're idle right now. I have too many speakers.

TaddNOhio likes this.
  13. Goggle1824

Yep, I have a picture very similar to that one... :hug: :thumbsup: :rockon:, though my son was a couple years older than the boy above.

42EE4616-38D3-4D55-88E0-D9191CEB961D.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    satellite65 and satellite like this.
  14. satellite

satellite AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice speakers Tadd. I bet they sound awesome. I'm always on the lookout for 100's, and I would like to try the human speakers in some cool looking cabinets
    that I have.

TaddNOhio likes this.
  15. satellite

satellite AK Subscriber Subscriber

I do have a set of M150's that I love the sound and looks of. However, all this talk of ferro-fluid has me slightly concerned.
    Mine have the masonite tweeters identical to those pictured in post #10. Does anyone know if these use ferro fluid?

16. Goggle1824

Nope, Masonite’s are Air-Spring tweeters, no fluid, all good! :thumbsup:

satellite likes this.