NFL wants Superbowl halftime performers to pay them for the privilege

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by finnbow, Aug 20, 2014.

1. finnbow

finnbow The Dude Abides

The short list of performers for the halftime show at Super Bowl XLIX reportedly consists of Rihanna, Katy Perry and Coldplay, but there’s an interesting wrinkle to the talk surrounding this year’s extravaganza.

The NFL is asking artists to pay it to play, the Wall Street Journal reports. Citing sources familiar with the matter, the league, in notifying acts, “also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...to-pay-to-play-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show/

WTF???

Please register to disable this ad.

2. robgmn

robgmn Super Member

They make billions and want every city to pay for stadiums they play in.
    Why should another opportunity to make money be missed?

Yet radio DJs got in trouble for taking money to provide preferential play of certain music...

3. HalfKidding

HalfKidding Active Member

all roger goodell cares about is money. he doesnt give a shit about the game

4. stabby

stabby Active Member

Pay to play is evil.

On the other hand, I'd like some money back for my time during that fiasco with the Black Eyed Peas a few years ago.

5. hi*ball

hi*ball Records & Coffee

I'd pay to not have to listen to any of those 3.

6. trhee

trhee ㅇtㅈyㅅr

What a joke. What's next? The national anthem singer will have to pay as well? Then the MVP winner will have to pay to receive his trophy? Super Bowl rings will have to be purchased?

Goodell needs to be cast out.

7. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I always hit MUTE.

8. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

Arrogance and greed at its very best.

9. Decatur Greg

Decatur Greg Super Member

You know the NFL is a non-profit, right?!?!?

I still can't believe this but YES, they are a non-profit.

They take in approx $9.5 BILLION annually... no taxes to pay tho :thumbsdn:

Yes... the pay to play is total BS... first I heard that they wanted them to "donate" some of their tour too... takes some ca-hones!!

10. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras Sponsor

Love the players and the game, but fuck the NFL (and MLB while we're at it). Greedy overbearing bastards if ever there was one.

How can the NFL possibly think this is good for their image?

11. trhee

trhee ㅇtㅈyㅅr

I wish the music community and industry as a whole, would get together and ban the NFL. Maybe put out an advertisement on the NFL's greed and let the masses know about it. Only way to make this kind of silliness go away.

12. finnbow

finnbow The Dude Abides

Add the NCAA and FIFA to your list. Actually, FIFA makes them all look like pikers.

13. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I quit giving a shit about professional sports when I realized that simply taking Alex Rodriguez salary alone would feed and clothe every single homeless person in America.

Professional athletes are paid enormous sums to play a sport.
    Placing a ball in a hole.
    Hitting a ball.
    Running with a pigskin.

Sorry sports fans, I got better things to do.

My heroes made very modest salaries in the '70's. It is so far out of hand, the only option is to ignore it.

14. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

The most important and best loved button on the remote!

15. stabby

stabby Active Member

Here in Arizona they advertise for 3000 volunteers to help out with the Super Bowl.

Who the bleep "volunteers" to help millionaires and billionaires? How long have these people been out in the sun?

I have no problem with people being wealthy, but I'm not going to pitch in to help them get wealthier.

16. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

I heard they're planning to go with Synchronized Flag Tossing as the main event ...

Penalties in NFL preseason games up 44 percent from last year

They ARE getting a lot more accurate with the extra practice. I saw one toss where the ref hit the receiver with the beanbag while the QB missed by a mile ...

17. trhee

trhee ㅇtㅈyㅅr

I get what you're saying but it's the nature of our society. And it's not just sports. You could say that about the whole entertainment industry.

Even the food industry with all of the celebrity chefs and food show hosts that have been popping out in the past 15-20 years. Rachel Ray, the cooking show host, has a net worth of over $60 million. Jamie Oliver is worth $400 million and the richest chef in the world. The witless wonder, Sandra Lee is worth $20 million. Absolutely mind boggling numbers.

18. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Agreed wholeheartedly, trhee.

What did Cohen write in "Everybody Knows" ??

"The poor stay poor and the rich get rich, that's how it goes...and Everybody Knows...."

19. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

I've always said that all they are playing are Kid's Games and getting rich doing it! How come then that all these "PRO" Players don't have to pay to be on their Teams in any Sport instead of making all that big Moola?Is that next!It oughta be!:scratch2:

20. jsisk

jsisk Not 2 Old 2 Rock & Roll

I hope the artists all tell them to pound sand.

There would be nothing better than to have NO half-time performers as a result of this jackass's arogance.