NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs are approaching!

Hawks finally show up to play again...can't believe it took so long to move Byfuglein off the line on which he faced Pronger..looking good for Chicago now at 3 nil early

Not being much of a hockey fan, I can't say I've ever seen the opening ceremonies at a game. I did tonight.

Seems hockey fans don't have much respect for the singing of a national anthem.

Pretty disgraceful. And it was a good rendition.

Smackdowns lose viewers. Even this one.

The first period was the best I've seen the Hawks play in a long time, perhaps all season. Things evened up after that, although the Hawks were able to ultimately keep that 3 goal lead. It'll be very interesting to see if they can show up in Philly with the same intensity and focus they had tonight.

About the anthem; it has been a tradition for over 30 years that the roar of the crowd increases during the singing. It started with the fine Wayne Messmer and continues to this day with Jim Corneilson (sic). No one here feels it shows any disrespect to our country and veterans are invited to stand next to the singer at each game. In fact, a tape of this very tradition was sent to be played for our soldiers in the first gulf war.

I think you have the wrong impression

Pretty disgraceful. And it was a good rendition.

Smackdowns lose viewers. Even this one.

If you've ever been to a Hawks game you would know that it’s been a long tradition in Chicago to cheer the real soldiers that get invited free to every game that accompanies the National Anthem’s singing (you know the guys in uniform standing next to the singer). The soldiers are cheered when they are mention at every game before the Anthem starts and the cheering for our soldiers does not stop until the Anthem is over. If this is not the greatest tribute to our soldiers and country I don’t know what is… I have never heard the real Nation Anthem sung once in Philadelphia…

While “God Bless America” is a great tribute to our country it is not the National Anthem…even when Kate Smith is singing it…

Last edited:
About the anthem; it has been a tradition for over 30 years that the roar of the crowd increases during the singing. It started with the fine Wayne Messmer and continues to this day with Jim Corneilson (sic). No one here feels it shows any disrespect to our country and veterans are invited to stand next to the singer at each game. In fact, a tape of this very tradition was sent to be played for our soldiers in the first gulf war.

I was expecting someone to chime in with an explanation like that. I didn't sound like "normal" noise - sometimes it even seemd to keep a beat with the tempo.

I had just never heard of it. (not a hockey fan.) Thanks.:thmbsp:

I was expecting someone to chime in with an explanation like that. I didn't sound like "normal" noise - sometimes it even seemd to keep a beat with the tempo.

I had just never heard of it. (not a hockey fan.) Thanks.:thmbsp:

One more thing, I've experianced it in person many, many times. I've NEVER been able to hold back the tears.

…I think you have the wrong impression. I have never heard the real Nation Anthem sung once in Philadelphia…

While “God Bless America” is a great tribute to our country it is not the National Anthem…even when Kate Smith is singing it…

Thanks to all for straightening me out...
Pencils' take, now that I think back on it, is right. Usually is.

This Kate Smith thing goes back 40 years.I dunno...They play it, because they often win when they do. Lauren Hart is no Kate Smith.

I don't see the Flyers winning 2. Chicago ought to get their parade.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for straightening me out...
Pencils' take, now that I think back on it, is right. Usually is.

This Kate Smith thing goes back 40 years.I dunno...They play it, because they often win when they do. Lauren Hart is no Kate Smith.

I don't see the Flyers winning 2. Chicago ought to get their parade.

Don’t speak too soon…Chicago teams are noted for blowing it in the playoffs. Outside of the “Jordan years” the Cubs, Sox, Hawks, and Bears have given me ulcers…don’t even bring up (on the Southside) that the Cardinals use to be a Chicago football team back in the day… It’s not over till’ the fat lady sings!

I do really like the way Philly does “God bless America” in their opening ceremony. Seeing Kate Smith brings back memories of my youth and a sense of American pride.

I wonder if tonight will be the final game of the NHL season..should be an intense affair, as it's all on the line for both

justice is served...Sharp ties it up at two all...how in the world did they call goalie interference on Hossa? horrible call

...how in the world did they call goalie interference on Hossa? horrible call

You obviously don't understand the rules.

If you're skating toward the opponent's net with the puck in your possession and you intend to take a shot, you're not allowed to fall down.

:wtf:

Back
Top Bottom