NHT 2.5i

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by scoloheros, Sep 11, 2017.

1. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

I found old threads but I'm just kind of excited about finding these for $19.99. Definitely not totl but I've read they sound pretty good, I don't even know if they work yet but the woofers and mids are not locked up in any way. I bought a fixer-up, something like a big cabin that is 120 miles from where I live now that I plan to go to later and cash this bigger house out. I put a Denon AVR 3805 there at the fixer upper with Klipsch F2 speakers and the sub the pair came with. I'm assuming these NHT speakers sound better than the FS speakers. Should I replace the F2s with the NHTs? They are missing the stabilizer bars at the base, I couldn't find them in the thrift store.
    [​IMG]

StimpyWan likes this.
  2. absolve2525

absolve2525 Super Member

$19.99!? Those were like 1200 dollars new. Yes, they are very good :).

3. bhunter

bhunter The Spherical Cow

4. HTWillie

HTWillie Well-Known Member

That's a great speaker at an unbelievable price. They're usually in the $200-300 range. As long as the floor is solid and smooth, and you don't have young children, house critters, or drunken visitors, they should be fine without the stabilizer bars. It'd be worth getting some made though.

I have a pair of 2.5 (not the i version) at the vacation house and thoroughly enjoy them.

5. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

They are well regarded. They are known for having good bass. I think you'll find they sound very good. Even though I'm not into "monkey coffins", for the asking price I'd have bought them.

6. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

NHT has been known for high-end quality without the high-end price, especially the 1.5i, 2.5i, 2.9i and 3.3i (all of which have long since been discontinued, I believe since the Rockford takeover in 2003)

7. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

I just tested them but to do that had to unhook a pair of Snell speakers. Everything works yet I was a little disappointed, but they started sounding better the more time was making me forget what the Snells sounded like. They are a little sharp/edgy on the treble and missing some midrange, compared to what I'm used to. The bass is good for sure. Now I will have to take them to that little Aframe house and compare them to the Klipsch F2 speakers that I also got for almost free. The NHTs would save some room, ...no subwoofer needed. What materials to the totl speakers use today to make their diaphram cones? So far I'm not a big fan of the poly cones.

8. bimasta

bimasta Well-Known Member

I have the NHT 2.9 — also a thrift shop score ($175), not the insane bargain you got, but mint. I agree the treble can be hot — I put some open-cell foam over the tweets and it helps. I have some other tweeters I'd like to try, but none are drop-ins and I don't want to modify the cabinets just to experiment. HTWillie is right about the stablizers — I've had them without the bars for 3 years and no problems. But I live in LA and one small quake could be catastrophic — not only will the beautiful finish get messed up, but they're tall and heavy, so they'll probably hit something on the way down and crush it. I keep meaning to add stabilizers and your post reminds me: do it now. It's easy — two strips of wood, 1" X 1" or 2" will work, and painting them black will make them aesthetically acceptable.

Congrats on your score, hope everything works when you finally test them. You'll be a happy audiophile.

9. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

Depending on the caps used in the NHT's they might need recapped. Question what Snells do you have? Great score on those speakers at that price.

10. Roboturner91

Roboturner91 AK Subscriber Subscriber

What a friggin' steal

11. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

I found some Snell EII speakers at a thrift store also, $12.99 but the tweeter domes needed recovering and needed new surrounds on the woofers. I enjoyed fixing those. It took a couple of days to get used to them also but now they are one of my favorite pair of speakers, keepers. The keepers I have here are Altec Monterrey Jrs my dad bought new in 1960, EPI 150, Snell E2 , tiny Canton speakers and 2 different pair of Warfedale speakers. Oh yeah I have 3 pair of Dynacos I've never even hooked up before, I don't even know what those sound like. Actually I have 7 of those but I know one is blown. I confess to having a pair of the bullet proof Realistic Minimus speakers haha, I like to use those to test receivers, porch speakers, doorstops, weapon, they're real handy.

Yeah the strips of wood crossed my mind also, or something else simple, drilling holes in strips of metal, should be easy.

12. bimasta

bimasta Well-Known Member

"Strips" of metal implies "thin" and "thin" can bend — and there goes the "stability". I'd want at least 4mm thickness if using metal, and I'd prefer steel. For that, I'd want a drill-press, which I no longer have. I think 1" or 2" wood would be better, and certainly easier to tool at home. Also, I plan to add metal furniture-glides at the ends, for two reasons: 1) my 2.9's weigh almost 90 pounds, they're hard to move, and "fine-tuning" the position is vital for imaging; glides will make it easier — and 2) I have polished hardwood floors: no spikes. Finally, 1" or 2" wood + glides will raise the tweeters to ear level — strips of metal would not.

But as I said before, it depends on definition of "strip". The stabilizers NHT supplied (hard to find now) did raise the speakers as I describe above.

13. Hyfi

Hyfi Super Member

Great score! Drive them with some good amps decent amplification to hear what they can do. I demo'd them when they were new driven by Parasound gear. I dropped Larry & Lee - L.A. Underground in the player and the guys at the store were blown away.

14. absolve2525

absolve2525 Super Member

I used mine with Parasound amps, back in the day. I liked the combo a lot.

Hyfi likes this.