NHT 3.3's

Retro Stereo

Subscriber
Sold for $4000+ a pair back in 1993. Anybody heard a pair of these? What are they worth today? Any info you have would be great. Thanks!

Retro

Yes, I have heard the 3.3. They were too expensive for me so I spent more time auditioning the smaller version (? 2.5i cannot remember model exactly). Quite large - they are very deep - and with that side mounted LF driver, you have to watch out on placement. They have the angled baffle that was trademark of NHT at the time, also putting some restricitons on placement but if you have the spot, they were pretty good at imaging and the FR seemed quite good. Sweet spot was wide enough (or off axis dispersion controlled enough) that you could walk around the room and have pretty good sound all over. Maybe a little hot or harsh on high end, but that is a dim recollection now, and I had spent more time with the smaller one. I think they did use the same components in many of the models, however.

Nht

Retro Stereo said:
Sold for $4000+ a pair back in 1993. Anybody heard a pair of these? What are they worth today? Any info you have would be great. Thanks!

Retro

Typical NHT sound with a strong bottom. . . Huge footprint as they are so deep. . . They like to be out about 2 feet from the back wall. . . I knew a guy who sold Marantz and NHT. . . His demo room was a Marantz CRT projector with NHT 3.3s in front along with NHT rears and center (2 Super Ones) we used to go over after hours just to watch movies. . . Wavelength Audio in Dallas, TX.

I can't say what they're worth, but as I recall, they don't go for nearly as much I they should. Watch Audiogon, I've seen them there on a few occasions. I think I've seen them go for between $1000 and $1500 or so.

My dad bought NHT speakers for HT, told me some story about Bob Carver having a hand in the design, or the company, something.

The Russman had some towers with side firing woofs built with the front and backs at an angle, sides perpindicular, black laquer finish and they sounded quite good. First NHT I ever listened to and they sounded better than Definitive Technologies which have a simular design but with active woofers I believe.

Back
Top Bottom