Nice little Martel FAX-200C receiver... early Rotel!

Martel,Monacor

I love it when I see these store names show up on the same designed vintage equiptment, Its simalar to the lafayette lr800 which is sourced by Kenwood Trio, this looks like one of the kenwood units to me, where does the 6mb8 stand next to say a 6bq5 or a ecl82. thanks for the pics.

Same unit was made for and labeled as a Jonas Miller, who would later become the M in M&K.

Mine redplates a tube and hums. A project for sure, if it ever gets any attention around here.

I worked on the Monacor this weekend: replaced two 330 ohms (wrong values) with 3.3k and another burnt resistor with 3.3k (the pics aren't hi-res but I was able to see my mistake.

At first, the third 3.3k burned again so I've put an 1.8k and an 1.5k (5 or 10w each) in serie and all is fine. It is located in the PS string BTW.

No more redplating of the outputs and the sound was cool in my cheap headphones...

However, I'll need some big pics of the MPX subchassis as the FM stereo has something wrong for sure (almost no sound from the right side). It is ok in mono though.

As soon as you receive your Martel, give us your impressions.

Patrice

I worked on the Monacor this weekend: replaced two 330 ohms (wrong values) with 3.3k and another burnt resistor with 3.3k (the pics aren't hi-res but I was able to see my mistake.

At first, the third 3.3k burned again so I've put an 1.8k and an 1.5k (5 or 10w each) in serie and all is fine. It is located in the PS string BTW.

No more redplating of the outputs and the sound was cool in my cheap headphones...

However, I'll need some big pics of the MPX subchassis as the FM stereo has something wrong for sure (almost no sound from the right side). It is ok in mono though.

As soon as you receive your Martel, give us your impressions.

Patrice

Patrice, what output tubes does yours have,

Hi everyone! I have FAX-200 too, but not in that nice condition as I saw here, and besides it is not working. I bought it cheap as is about 2-3 years ago and since that time I can't start troubleshooting because i can't find schematic. Actually it does not have any smell and tubes are ligthing, but anyway, starting troubleshooting without schematic will be just wasting time and may be even damage it. So, if anybody has it may I ask you to share it with me? Or, any idea where i may find it? I searched many sites who sell service manuals and neither has anything from Martel. Actually I have good experience in electronics, so i hope i can manage to complete its restoration (with a time of course) and hopefully to help here too, though i don't have much experience with tube amps (except that i was hitted by 450 v dc when I tried to help friend to put life into new built amp many years ago).
So, back to schematic, any help?

Hi everyone! I have FAX-200 too, but not in that nice condition as I saw here, and besides it is not working. I bought it cheap as is about 2-3 years ago and since that time I can't start troubleshooting because i can't find schematic. Actually it does not have any smell and tubes are ligthing, but anyway, starting troubleshooting without schematic will be just wasting time and may be even damage it. So, if anybody has it may I ask you to share it with me? Or, any idea where i may find it? I searched many sites who sell service manuals and neither has anything from Martel. Actually I have good experience in electronics, so i hope i can manage to complete its restoration (with a time of course) and hopefully to help here too, though i don't have much experience with tube amps (except that i was hitted by 450 v dc when I tried to help friend to put life into new built amp many years ago).
So, back to schematic, any help?

Good luck... I haven't found any schematic yet and followed what was in there to replace the components. So far, it works except the fm stereo section.

Patrice

If there are places where it is obvious there have been changes, some hi-res photos might help?

If there are places where it is obvious there have been changes, some hi-res photos might help?

I'm waiting for hi-res pics from OP (as soon as the receiver will come back from repair) to compare his with mine...

Nice find :thmbsp:
I bought one of the FAX-150s listed in BT recently.
Very surprised at how nice it sounds :)

The schematic for it was included with OM but the print is tiny!

Roger

Hi Roger,

Have you done anything to it? I too thought it sounded very nice with a great FM section.

John

Thanks Patrice--sorry to keep on talking about the pics!

I actually thought maybe Electrist could be helped with a few pics of yours in the meantime?

Thanks Patrice--sorry to keep on talking about the pics!

I actually thought maybe Electrist could be helped with a few pics of yours in the meantime?

I'll try to get some pics this week-end (the amp is at our cottage presently...).

Good luck... I haven't found any schematic yet and followed what was in there to repl

Good luck... I haven't found any schematic yet and followed what was in there to replace the components. So far, it works except the fm stereo section.

Patrice

1. Yes, there will be always some unsolved problem until you will get schematic. Actually any owner can make its own schematic, just by following circuits and making notes of the components, but that will consume a lot of time... unless we can divide that job between, let us say, 10 persons, and then to combine each piece together. Only problem will be that we can't identify not labeled components like inductances, transformers, etc. But, at least we will have actual general schematic.
Anybody likes this idea?

2. And about pics of my receiver: it is not a problem, but like i said mine receiver is not in good shape. So, does anybody still need my pictures?

I actually thought maybe Electrist could be helped with a few pics of yours in the me

Dandy

So, again, if you still need pics it is not big problem, just tell me which specific part of receiver do you need, or how you want me to take pics (from top/far/side, close to some specific part, or whatever.

Here are a few shots of the receiver after it's hospital stay. Cute isn't it? :yes:

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5799a.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

Great pics, thanks. Interesting to see which of the high voltage caps have been changed, and that the big cans seem to be okay. It looks in beautiful shape now.

Very nice.

This thread reminds me that I should do something with my FAX 150. Either play it or sell as it's not being used.

Back
Top Bottom