Nice Marantz find. (Pics)

rocdad

I received a call from my brother-in-law last week. He mentioned to his fiance's father, that he had this crazy brother-in-law(me) that collected and restored old audio equipment. The father said that he had a couple old Marantz receivers, and would he(me) be interested (no charge). No need to tell my response. I had to wait a week to get them, as they were in another state. He said that one was just a cheap one, but the other was "high dollar".

I did not get my hopes up, but I gave my brother-in-law special instructions on handling them. Well, the cheap one was just that, and not worth the time to fix up. But, the other was a 2330B. I checked it all out and everything is in order. It works great. Just a couple lights burned out. It is in great cosmetic condition. Heavy, about 50lbs

I will be asking a few questions on this. There are some controls that are new to me, and I will attempt to replace some lamps. Thanks for looking.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 182
Look beautiful man, and the price was right :thmbsp:

You should have alot of fun with that beasty!

Can't beat FREE :no:. Don't know what the other model was, but you might want to save it anyway, and part it out. There is probably someone here that could use a knob, etc. Enjoy.

The other model is a SR-225. Pretty light weight. Not sure of its Mfr. date, or specs yet, but I don't expect much.

I have not cleaned anything on the 2330B yet, and it still performs very good. Only the slightest static in the controls. Sound is wonderful

What is the best option for an owners manual? I need to figure out some of these strange(to me) tone settings. There are some good recent thread trails about lights for Marantz, so I will probably pursue that pretty soon.

Thanks for the interest.

Dan

If you haven't searched here yet for info on the owners manual, you might want to. There are many threads on manuals, and someone probably has posted a link to one, or has one they would be happy to share.

That's what's nice about AK, so many folks who will help/share what they know or have. :yes:

That's a great find with a nice audio karma story. Hope it settles in nicely to your listening schedule!

Nice one, I've had the pleasure of enjoying one of those a while back. Great sound.

Cheers

So, can anyone shed some light on the Tone Mode? It is the third large knob from the left. It is calibrated with the settings: Out, In, 100Hz, 10KHz, 100Hz/10KHz. I have no idea what it does.

You can see the top of this knob in the second picture.

Also, on the input selector, there is a setting for FM and FM 25 µS. Never seen this before.

Thanks,

Dan

rocdad said:
So, can anyone shed some light on the Tone Mode? It is the third large knob from the left. It is calibrated with the settings: Out, In, 100Hz, 10KHz, 100Hz/10KHz. I have no idea what it does.

You can see the top of this knob in the second picture.

Also, on the input selector, there is a setting for FM and FM 25 µS. Never seen this before.

Thanks,

Dan

you can select tone-defeat, all tone controls active, only bass (100Hz), only treble(10KHz), or only treble and bass(no mid).

BTW, High Dollar pretty much describes it. That is a score and a half! lucky you :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Man, that is SWEET! Very cool. Ya can't beat the price either, I love these tanks.

Congrats on a GREAT deal!

The 2339B is arguably the best sounding of the Marantz receivers. Some will say the 2285B.
Free you say is even better! :thmbsp:

Thanks for all the great info and comments. I am glad to have this baby. I had all but given up on the hunt when this came up. Really good Karma is the only explanation.

It is so nice to experience the greatness of this old gear. I just returned from Florida, and my cousins there are into big-time audio stuff. The are running $16K speakers and $6K amps and you can fill in the rest. It made me really appreciate both, the equipment I have, and the community here at AK that shares in my excitement.

Their stuff sounded great, but so does mine. We had a great time listening to their stuff with music that I brought. I introduced them to a few new things and I have them excited about finding some vintage gear to mix in with their stuff. They were listening almost exclusively to Rock music. I popped some Miles Davis and Coltrane in the $6k CD player and they never heard that system sound so good. They are hooked.

Thanks,

Dan

Nice pickup on the 2330B. Great receiver! Try using someDexoit on the control. It should remove any staic and make them operate smooth as butter. Enjoy the listeing!

Carl

Excellent find, what a treasure, I still have all the exact lamps for these old units, Dave. :yes:

marantz_lamps_03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom