Nice Marantz Score! (LOTS of pics)

teleking36

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I've recently become extremely lucky enough to take possession of a few high end vintage Marantz pieces, which include the following:

(2) Model 9 Power Amps
(1) 10B FM Tuner
(1) 7T Preamp

I'm a guitarist, and have extensive experience with guitar tube amps, but I don't really know the in and outs of the high end home audio market. I'd love to gain some insight as to how I should approach servicing these pieces, as well as marketing them for sale. I understand that they fetch quite a bit of money, so I want to make sure I'm as educated as possible on these items. Here are a few pictures:

DSCN9906.jpg

DSCN9922.jpg

DSCN9951.jpg

DSCN9958.jpg

you'd hate me more if you found out how i actually came to own these....:yes:

FWIW, the 9s and the 10B appear to have the original glass, with the former being loaded with Philips EL34s and the latter loaded with a mix of Amperex, Mullard, Sylvania pres. The hammercoat finish on the 9s is in excellent shape, as well as all the brushed stainless steel front panels on each piece.

Last edited:
I was doing some work for a contractor friend at a vacant home that is scheduled to be demolished within the next week or so. The only thing left in this house was the shaggy carpet, fireplace cover, and the stereo system. That's it. At the time (and this is somewhat embarrassing), I didn't even know the name, but the worksmanship and the build quality seemed to be top notch. The 9s are some heavy bastards too! With all that weight, I didn't think they were junk. I called the contractor before snagging them, just to make sure they weren't spoken for. He thanked me for checking, and told me I could take them. This stuff would've honestly gone down with the house!!!

Whoa!! I wouldn't even consider selling them unless I was in dire straights. Those would be a permanent fixture.

If I were really into this end of pro audio, I'd keep them without a doubt. But I'd honestly be too worried about owning them. I'm only 25 and I live in an apartment where I wouldn't be able to really open these guys up. It wouldn't be fair for me to keep them for the sake of keeping them when I'm sure there are Marantz nuts out there that would want and use these. However, I'm not so quick to sell them in this market. I might wait until things pick up a little and just keep an eye out. I already spoke to a guy that's really familiar with the Marantz stuff, and he knows a guy that's been looking for a single 9 and will pay cash, but I don't want to split the pair just yet.

From what I'm told, standard servicing for these pieces can run me anywhere from $100-300 per item, with the tuner being most expensive to service. Does that seem legitimate? The 9s may need new power tubes as well. I'm so nervous to take these out now, knowing what I've got.

I don't know the cost of servicing but you stated you are a guitarist... would you part with a vintage Martin that needed a little work, or a 1939 Gibson J-35?

Nice........

I'm a little surprised you didn't find a JBL Paragon with the Marantz gear. :D

The law of audiokarma commands that when you are ready to pass them on, you sell them for what you paid. DIBS! :D

I don't know the cost of servicing but you stated you are a guitarist... would you part with a vintage Martin that needed a little work, or a 1939 Gibson J-35?

Well if I found a vintage Martin in the basement, chances are that I'd probably keep it, because I'd be likely to use it every day for a number of applications, unless of course it were a 1942 OM-42 or some ridiculously rare and highly valued instrument. The difference here is that (unfortunately) I'm not involved with this end of audio, and it would be a shame for me to keep them, when I could use the money to get a nice vintage piece that I would use and keep.

Nice........

I'm a little surprised you didn't find a JBL Paragon with the Marantz gear. :D

I should probably go back to the house and do one more walk-through!! There looked to have been a turntable with the rest of the rack, but that was gone by the time I got there.

You have the HOLEY GRAIL of audio equipment. Sit on it. WAIT. This is the one you will regret getting rid of later. You'll be able to use it someday but just know that you will NEVER see anything like this again! You won the audio lottery! Sell something else instead but keep that. Got a Marshall JCM9000, sell that instead. There's plenty of those, a lot of us here haven't even seen or touched what you have there before.
AWESOME audio karma has come to you, don't blow it!

Fair enough... Good luck selling them. You should have no problem and I could bet that someone here will take them off your hands. I cannot afford them as these will fetch a hefty price.

I'm taking it very slow right now, with everything. I'm actually trying to avoid thinking about the 9s because of the sheer value, and focusing my thoughts on the 10B. I'll likely get it serviced and look to sell it, along with the 7T. As I mentioned before, I'll probably sit on the 9s for a bit.

This is some true karma. I could've easily just taken the stereo and no one would've known. But I called the builder, asked permission, and he was gracious for that. That was the best move I made.

I already have people contacting me about it from the forum. Just gonna try and take it all in and educate myself as best I can. Thanks for all the help so far.

Back
Top Bottom