Nice Marantz Score! (LOTS of pics)

Teleking36, saw you popped in for a look, how's it going? married life treating you well? And of course, how's the Marantz gear treating your ears.

Bump for a great thread, now 6 years old and counting.

Hey guys!!! Happy to be back! I also can't believe it's been 6 years. Time flies! I'm a grown ass man now! 32 with a 15 month old baby, but still loving the hell out of vintage hifi.

I recently had my 8B looked over by a great MA shop, and they cleaned it up, gave it some TLC, and I'm happily cranking away! I still have the original 7T Preamp from the original score. I see no reason to really change it at this point. It works great for my needs! Scored a 6300 TT last year from my little bro who pulled it out of the garbage, but it needs a couple feet and a new cart/stylus before I can get that integrated into my setup.

I did recently sell off some Focal bookshelf speakers I was using in this system for the better part of 3-4 years. I just didn't feel like they were a good match for the system. So, I'm back here to inquire about some recommendations! I don't wanna break the bank, but I want something that can complement the 8B and perhaps help achieve a slightly "bigger" sound. I know it's tough with smaller speakers, but with some compromise, it can be done!

Any recommendations?

Hey TK, thanks for the update. You got pics of the little one? We have a similar 16 month old grandson running around our house too.

Whatever happened to the MC30s you mentioned? Another sweet pair of tube amps.

As for speakers, well, Crooner and many other love the combo of Marantz tube power and the BBC LS3/5a, if you can find some for decent money. Otherwise, smaller units like the JBL4301B L19 L40 or 4406/L20T work pretty well, as do the 4408 or 4410/4411. Depends on how much space you have. Are you in Maine now?

Last edited:
Sure do! I'll definitely get one posted! I'm still in Massachusetts!

I still have the MC30s. Great amps! Just rotating them out and back to the 8B for now.

I've heard a lot about the LS3/5a speakers. It seems there are so many incarnations. Are there ones to stay away from?

Yes, I definitely recommend the LS3/5a, specially the 15 ohm version as great match for the 8B. I own Chartwells from 1978, and I am in heaven. They sing equally well with either the 8B or 9's when connected to the 16 ohm tap. You are utilizing the complete secondary winding of the output transformer, which is ideal for the best sound possible.

One interesting thing I noticed with these speakers coupled to these classic Marantz tube amps: you don't have to play them loud to get satisfying sound. You get full bodied sound, super wide soundstaging, killer midrange and delicate rendering of high frequency instruments even at lower output levels!

Last edited:
...what's your budget? Falcon's new LS3/5a is the first 15 ohm version made in 30 years. Cheaper than a pair of original Chartwells or early Rogers. Haven't heard them but the reviews have been very good...

...what's your budget? Falcon's new LS3/5a is the first 15 ohm version made in 30 years. Cheaper than a pair of original Chartwells or early Rogers. Haven't heard them but the reviews have been very good...

The Kits are also pretty good value, especially if you have someone who can do nice veneer work. With the good $ to £ ratio, prices are pretty good, use the Excl. VAT prices. And because they are small, shipping isn't terribly bad.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/fa...-t27-fl6-23-bbc-design-crossover-15-ohms.html

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/ls3-5a/ls3-5a-cabinets-kits.html

I've heard a lot about the LS3/5a speakers. It seems there are so many incarnations. Are there ones to stay away from?

IMO, stay away from all of the Far East sourced LS3/5a wannabees, save for the Rogers 60th Anniversary LS3/5a which is very good. If you're going to spend the money, get something that has the provenance, engineering, and experience of the British builders, specifically Stirling Broadcast and Falcon Acoustics. They truly know what the LS3/5a is supposed to sound like and how to make it that way. I don't say the other copies and variants don't sound like good speakers, but a true LS3/5a is a very very good speaker. IMO, the money spent on a true LS3/5a is like money in the bank, assuming you don't go crazy overboard.

The LS3/5's are a great recommendation for you.

A bookshelf I recently got is the Legacy Studio HD (around 1600). This speaker is really working it's way into my heart. My 8b and 9's play nice with them.

Are these famed speakers capable of handling some rock at all? Not talking heavy stuff. Topping out at Black Crowes, really. Mostly Americana, Soul, Roots, Bluegrass, Singer-Songwriter, Folk Rock.

I listen to a lot of Ryan Adams, Dawes, Neil Young, The Band, Jason Isbell, etc etc.

Are these famed speakers capable of handling some rock at all? Not talking heavy stuff. Topping out at Black Crowes, really. Mostly Americana, Soul, Roots, Bluegrass, Singer-Songwriter, Folk Rock.

I listen to a lot of Ryan Adams, Dawes, Neil Young, The Band, Jason Isbell, etc etc.

I find they handle rock well, plus the other genres you mention. The music, if well recorded, has surprising weight and dynamics despite their tiny size. They don't play super loud, but then I again as I get older I tend to play my music at more moderate levels. The Marantz tube amps tend to compress slightly as they are pushed to clipping and I find this beneficial to the speakers. Woofer bottoming is rare, even with bass heavy music, as long as you keep the SPL's in a reasonable range.

These speakers will mercilessly reveal poor quality recordings but will throw a huge soundstage with excellent detail and clarity with the right ones.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to save up some extra $$ and shoot for some Falcon Acoustics LS3/5As. I don't really like the idea of rolling speakers for years and years, and based on the system I already have, I feel like if I just invest in a great pair that can work well with my existing equipment, I'll be set long-term. I also like the idea of buying newer when it comes to these, so I don't have to worry about parts failing, etc.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Now the saving begins!

Late night AK binging! I just reread the entire thread from my first post to my most recent. 7 years since the audiophile score of a lifetime! It's still talked about among my friends and family! i can't bring myself to change my avatar either. such a cool shot!

I'm already nostalgic, and long for the days when the bottom drops out of the hifi market and I can score another pair! haha!

@mech986 here's the much delayed picture of my little lady from this past easter!

8xIUdVB.jpg

Wow, lovely little lady! Teleking, you absolutely had your priorities set correctly. You have been blessed multiple times already! :bigok::bigok::jump:

Hey guys! Specifically @mech986 and @crooner ...

Theres a very clean pair of JBL L20T3's for sale on Craigslist close by. Guy is asking $150 for them. I desperately need something to get me by while I save up for the Falcon LS3/5a's, as I'm currently speakerless with an 8B > 7T > 6300 (newly installed cart) setup that is just sitting here staring at me, questioning my sanity. What say ye?

Back
Top Bottom