Nice Photos

Very nice indeed!!:D

Should have hired him to shoot the shots of my restored QRX-9001! I'm a lot better engineer than a photographer!:dunno:

Also, I'm curious as to why Sansui put a Toroidal transformer in the QRX-9001 but not in the 9090DB?:dunno: Most likely due to the combination of space constraints along with the increased power filter caps (40,000uf total). The amp driver board looks virtually identical, except the QRX-9001 has two of them (four channels worth). :D :D

But, they are beautiful aren't they!:cool:

Yes, the torodial X-former not being in the 9090DB is noteworthy. Score 1 point for the 120W G-8000 which does have it. The G-9000 does also, but the G-9000 is 160W. The G-8000's lower wattage is a more fair comparison to the 9090DB. Let it also be noted, the 120W G-7700 also does not have a toroidal.

B/F

Ah...., what the hell- I might as well live-it-up before I hit 40 in approximately 2 months + a few days (Dec 7) and it all goes friggin' downhill from there, Lets have a toast to toroidal transformers! :beer:

Toroidal transformers

That is an awesome picture B/F........G-9000 or G-9000 "DB"?

It's why I still drool over my G-9000.........I've got absolutely no use for it, but I can't imagine giving it up!! Aren't we all that way?

My only hope is to pick up another to make my QRX-9000 to tide me over 'till I find the elusive QRX-33000...............or is that the beer talking!:dunno:

And, I think I'd need more than my measly 2 1/2 acres to keep from annoying the neighbors if I was running 160wpc X 4 channels into my Klipsch LaScallas!:uzi:

Here's my G-8000, from '78

I noticed that all the G-8000s I've seen don't have the cool toroidal sticker on the transformer, unlike the G-9000 pics.

I want a cool sticker!!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pic, Jeff. Bob- about the photo that I posted above, the page it comes from in the Sansui catalog can be confusing because there is another photo right below it of a G-7000 (with its cover on) and so, someone might incorrectly assume that the pic above it of the toroidal is an inside shot of the G-7000. However, I dont think there is a toroidal in the G-7000. And since Jeff posted his photo, it rules out that its a G-8000, since there's no markings PLUS the fact that the G-8000 doesnt have the dynamic oval capacitors, so the answer is...... its a G-9000 photo. (For whatever reason, the G-9000DB or overseas G-901DB is not shown in the catalog)

B/F :king:

Just got my g-7000 fixed today at Rockville Center Hi Fi, and he did a great job.......it sounds incredible. Just a point about the torodial transformer......the G 7000 definitely does have one, we had it open and were checking it out. Just thought id get that in! Thanks

Hi Vince- Thanks for the clarification on that. I am glad that things worked out well over at Rockville. It seems like he took care of the problem right away but please tell us more details- exactly what was the cause of the problem and what did Rockville do to fix it?

B/F

I bought the G-7000 on audiogon.com for a steal, about $200 including shipping. Well, the unit came from canada and was wrapped and packed so poorly,and it seems the unit was dropped repeatedly during shipping. Fortunately no cosmetic damage resulted, as it is still virtually mint. Well it seems when it was dropped, the bottom metal plate was pushed in so hard it split a circuit board right down the middle knocking out the right channel. This circuit board is called the pre amp board. The tuning needle also came off during shipping and that was repaired by removing the face plate..... it seems the needle is very loosely held in place on the G series. All the bulbs were burnt out and replaced and are now working beautifully, and the unit was cleaned. I dropped the unit off at like noon, and it was done at around 3:30 the same day...cant beat that. And boy what a sound this thing puts out...so rich and warm, im really very impressed. I dont even have it hooked up to great speakers and it sounds incredible, so i can just imagine what it would sound like when hooked up to first class speakers. Any why anbody would need more power is beyond me......it has ear splitting volume, I cant even turn it up beyond the 30 setting on the volume knob. Well, Im totally sold on vintage sansui receivers....they need to be heard to be believed! Thanks for the help...especially the lead that led me to rockville hi fi...the guy really knows his stuff. Thanks again!

Hi Vince:

Ok gotcha, I have a better understanding now of your situation. I'm glad to hear the person in Rockville is good. I might keep him in mind if I need to have any work done on any of my hi fi equipment.

In fact, I can think of an extremely challenging assignment for him- bring my Sansui AU-X1 integrated amp to him and have him attempt to correct the Oscillation problem it has which causes the amp to self destruct. Its a task that not many hi fi shops are keen to deal with.

How does the inside of his place look like? Does he work on his own or does he have a staff of people? I wonder if he's good with Teac/Tascam open reel machines in terms of calibrating them.

B/F

As far as the inside of the shop, I can say this. It is a true mom and pop operation.....Charlie does all of the work himself, no staff. The walls are lined with all kinds of speaker parts, and the shelves are packed with vintage and modern receivers, tape decks and cd players. There is alot of stuff in there...very fun to look around. Hes got a sansui 9090Db hooked up for his listening....not a bad idea. As far as fixing reel to reel goes, I did see 3 or 4 reel to reel's sitting on the shelves, so I would definitely give him a try on fixing yours. He REALLY seems like he knows his stuff, and gives a 6 month warranty on all his fixes. Check it out. Vince

Being able to drop off your receiver and have it fixed and returned the same day is pretty impressive, most other places have you drop it off and it'll take a week or two before anything gets done. Perhaps you picked a good day and he wasnt busy with other people's stuff that he could work on yours right away. When I'm in the area I'll be sure and stop in for a visit and say Hello to him.

B/F

Back
Top Bottom