Nice Price Drop on Floyd's Animals on Vinyl at Amazon $15.92

I will have mine in 2 days - hope it sounds ok!

Edit: I just received tonight but won't be able to listen until the weekend.

There is a sticker on the album that says "The Stereo Remastered Album On Heavyweight 180g Vinyl" then later says "Remastered from the original analogue tapes by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman"

I will report back after I've listened to it!

Last edited:
This is why I got off the PF vinyl crapshoot merry-go-round.Too much variation in the sound with different pressing -releases and so forth.I have op of DSOTM,Animals,WYWH and The Wall.They all sound pretty good.Good enough that I never looked for other copies.Now in looking for earlier clean quiet pressings of AHM,Meddle and OBC was almost impossible.I just stick to the remastered cds now.

I followed the '16 Pink Floyd remasters thread for quite a while at Steve Hoffman, and there was mostly positive feedback about these. I don't remember what people wre saying about Animals, but I bought Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH (UK pressing from Amazon UK), and The Wall based on people's feedback on the new pressings

Last edited:
This is why I got off the PF vinyl crapshoot merry-go-round.

Which specific reissues of PF did you get bad copies of? Were you able to return them, and did they come from Amazon? I guess I've been lucky because all of my purchases sound great so far. Have also grabbed almost the entire Zep catalogue and I'm very pleased with them as well. 82% of purchasers have left a 5 star rating on Animals. I'll chime in on Thursday with my impressions.

I had my local record store order me a copy of the remastered Animals and I am extremely happy with it.

Which specific reissues of PF did you get bad copies of? Were you able to return them, and did they come from Amazon? I guess I've been lucky because all of my purchases sound great so far. Have also grabbed almost the entire Zep catalogue and I'm very pleased with them as well. 82% of purchasers have left a 5 star rating on Animals. I'll chime in on Thursday with my impressions.
This was before the latest reissues.I'm talking a few years ago with ebay copies.I tried a few and said enough.I'll just deal with my cds.

Most Amazon and eBay copies are of low quality.....4-2-7 already put out a list of the better online vinyl retailers. You can't let yourself be fooled by the lower prices!

Fact is....you should jump over to a new thread "Best Audiophile LP's" !

Most Amazon and eBay copies are of low quality.....4-2-7 already put out a list of the better online vinyl retailers. You can't let yourself be fooled by the lower prices!

Fact is....you should jump over to a new thread "Best Audiophile LP's" !

Could you elaborate on that? I find it hard to believe that labels are grading vinyl to send to Amazon when they don't seem to be doing basic QC sometimes. I've only received a few new albums with QC problems, and none of them were from Amazon

Could you elaborate on that? I find it hard to believe that labels are grading vinyl to send to Amazon when they don't seem to be doing basic QC sometimes. I've only received a few new albums with QC problems, and none of them were from Amazon

Everything that I have found from eBay and amazon is the thin bad sounding vinyl......there are just so many more better places to find vinyl. Just read the rest of the thread, or ask 4-2-7 !

I'm listening to Small Faces from 5 record box set from Amazon. The first record sounds fine but not as good as the others, which to my ear are very good. I attribute that to the original master. Very happy with Amazon purchase on that box set.

I usually buy from import CD off ebay. Always been pleased. First two Big Star albums are very good vinyl. Bob Marley Exodus is very good, but the volume is a bit lower than my others.

I also am curious if the new stuff on Amazon and ebay is a different pressing than what Barnes and Noble sells.

Well I was with you on this until I just got on Discogs and looked up Big Star #1 Record. There have been over 20 pressings of this record since 1972. Five pressings since 2014. So I suppose that quality between those pressings can vary, and ebay could get certain pressings with others going elsewhere. But i am very pleased with my ebay version that is playing right now!

In other words, records may not be graded but with lots of new stock pressings, quality could vary.

But I'll take a shot at Amazon Animals if someone gives it a good review here.

Elusive Disc
Sundazed
Soundstage Direct
Juno
Red Eye Records

Thanks. Those may well carry better pressings in general. But that can be checked and from now on I'll be checking pressing number or upc of whatever I buy.

In he case of Pink Floyd Animals on vinyl, Sounstage direct version UPC and ebay importCDs UPC are identical. Ebay is seven dollars cheaper and has free shipping. Sundazed does not list UPC so I don't know what pressing they offer. Using barcode spider I convert the UPC to get ASIN (Amazon number) which is B01LTHN0DQ, and matches the Amazon product in the OP.

Thus, per discogs the ebay and soundstage and amazon versions are the same pressing based on the UPC number. Am I understanding this correctly?

Back
Top Bottom