Nice Review of the D1100 at Computer Audiophile.

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JimBob, Aug 20, 2017.

1. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

2. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I wish they would stop feeling obligated to put meters on preamps.:thumbsdown: Clean and simple is where it's at for me.

Johnny 007 likes this.
  3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Agreed. They should sell two standard width accessories in a D150 sized chassis:

Twin meter module
    Octave Equalizer

4. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

The reviewer likes the blue meters and so do I! To each his own! I"m about to order one to go with my c1100

5. cajunpepe

cajunpepe New Member

But no MQA...for $7k, it should have it.

Johnny 007 likes this.
  6. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

7. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

We do. See model C47 or D150.
    Ron-C

cajunpepe likes this.
  8. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The C47 looks great....I own one.:D One option I wish it had is an option to turn off the display after a certain time of inactivity.

9. ron-c

The meters on D1100 will show two things depending on how it is used. As a straight preamp the meters will show output levels in Db.

If the D1100 is connected to C1100 through the dedicated control cable interface, all 8 of the C1100 digital inputs will show up in the C1100 source menu and the C1100 will switch the inputs of the D1100. Since the output of this combination, C1100 + D1100 is controlled by the C1100 the meters on D1100 will now show bit level. If the 16 bit recording is placed at the top of the 24 bit delivery package the meters will show maximum level. If the recording is more thoughtfully made this level will be somewhat lower as a bit cushion is placed above and below the actual file size. Since the maximum resolution of digital music files is in the 20 to 21 bit range this should leave room for space above and below the file size.
    D1100 sounds really good by the way.
    Ron-C

10. leftside

leftside AK Member Subscriber

If the D1100 is used purely as a DAC and connected to a preamp other than the C1100, then what do the meters show/do then? I like the meters :)

11. ron-c

The meters will show audio level in that use.
    Ron-C

leftside likes this.
  12. vignotra

vignotra Member

I just got confirmation that, to resolve compatibility issues with some pc running Windows 8.1 and 10, the D1100 will need to be upgraded as both hardware and firmware. And here we go again ... after 7 years we are in exactly the same situation of MCD1100. Now I wonder, since with this update resolves a crash of Windows pc, it's not that then you are creating problems with machines that use other operating systems like Linux? I'm finding it very well with the Cocktail Audio X 50 and am very puzzled and dubious if you bring the D1100 in assistance for this update. Ron, can you tell me something about it? Thank you.

13. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Who cares about MQA except for streaming Tidal? What is coming out in MQA format that I can't get any other format? MQA is just a money grab....

14. MurrayLives

MurrayLives Born to lose, live to win Subscriber

People who stream Tidal.

Said about a $7,000 DAC.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for someone to expect a newly released DAC, at this price point, to be able to hardware decode MQA.

joeinid likes this.
  15. joeinid

joeinid Well-Known Member

Streaming MQA content for no other cost other than being a Tidal subscriber with an MQA compatible dac is a wonderful thing. I absolutely love MQA and look forward to seeing/hearing new releases. I still stream Pandora and Spotify when appropriate but there's no comparison in my mind. MQA always sounds better and certainly no worse to me.

16. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

WOW - 7K to stream mediocre sound......

MQA is a flash in the pan and there is plenty of reasons why - it is a answer looking for a question. It would have made sense when HD space was expensive - it doesn't any more. Same with Streaming.

I have heard Tidal MQA streaming and couldn't hear any difference, same with actual MQA high res files (actually sounded worse to me). Not going to pay extra for files if I can't hear anything different.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  17. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

18. ron-c

Good review. To do home theater pass through the D1100 would need an analog stereo input and a built in ADC. Since D1100 is part of the McIntosh 1100 'System" consisting of C1100, MP1100 and D1100 it was never envisioned to be used in HT pass through. If the D1100 is connected to its' matching C1100 preamp then yes pass through will work.
    The MP1100 phono section does have a stereo analog input with ultra high performance ADC since it can digitize records at 24/192 or the C1100 analog preamp control center has the actual pass through feature built in.
    Ron-C

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  19. ron-c

Only early D1100 need the cap change and only with some systems.
    Ron-C

20. ron-c

in this case you would use the stereo Fixed outputs of the D1100 into your preamp. The meters will show the volume level you set on the D1100. this level will go up and down with the volume setting which is often used with the superb Headphone section of D1100. This 'high drive' headphone section also has the option for HXD crossfeed if you like speaker type imaging with your headphones.

Ron-C