Nice Review of the D1100 at Computer Audiophile.

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by JimBob, Aug 20, 2017.

1. MonstaChuck

MonstaChuck Member

I'm considering the D1100, the plan would be to use it as the preamp instead of a c47 through the men220. I have a couple concerns though before pulling the trigger:

a) Would the men220 actually reduce the audio quality coming out of the D1100? Would I not notice an improvement over the C47? When playing vinyl I thought the music lost a little magic, but the gains for digital in my funky room made the MEN220 worth it, and i can do without vinyl in this system.
    b) Would it sound better than a C47 + MDA1000? I have an MDA1000 in storage (upcoming move), which when paired with the C47 it sounded better than the C47 alone, which sounded fuller than the MDA1000 alone. I'm splitting hairs here.
    c) The MQA format. It seems a tad early to get hung up on the D1100 not supporting the extra folds through hardware, but it is a talking point. I do listen to a LOT of Tidal, but strangely I just heard of MQA yesterday. I always listened to Tidal through Audirvana and haven't had upgraditis in awhile, so I missed the buzz.

2. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this for the price tag it should cover pretty much every format and many people love Tidal.

joeinid likes this.
  3. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

4. leftside

leftside AK Member Subscriber

You can also play DSD files with the D100...

5. MonstaChuck

MonstaChuck Member

Well, yes and no. Which is why I said it doesn't support the extra folds through hardware decoding. That article states software decoding gets about 90% of the MQA benefits (first fold). Which is pretty qualitative. I'd love to be wrong, but from my very early paper only research it's hard to say if ~90% of MQA through the D1100 is better than 100% of MQA through a lesser dac. That's all. Is it a deal breaker? Maybe not. But worth a question or two before a large purchase.

6. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC Review - Part Two

The sound quality of a wide range of music played through the D1100 was rich, vibrant and lush, yet incredibly detailed given the right recording. My favorite rock and roll was reproduced in all its grungy glory, with power and fullness. At the same time, more traditional audiophile recordings, played through the McIntosh D1100 DAC, still displayed extreme detail and provided x-ray like information about each performance.

I recommend the McIntosh D1100 very highly, as it deserves all the praise it will receive in the coming months and years.
    "

These statements are as true as ever, especially since the USB issue has been resolved. I'm happy to place the McIntosh D1100 Digital Preamplifier DAC on the Computer Audiophile Suggested Hardware (CASH) List.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...gital-preamplifier-dac-review-part- two-r667/

leftside and joeinid like this.
  7. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

Well Computer Audiophile gives it 5 stars. And he's about as tough of a reviewer you'll find out there. He doesn't cut anyone slack.

8. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

A readers comments afterward roast McIntosh support. Does sound like reviewers issue was fixed.

9. JimBob

JimBob Active Member

I know who you're talking about. Couple months ago on another forum he claimed Mcintosh didn't design and build its Dacs. They were Wadia Dacs with Mcintosh label.

10. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

And he miss quotes some guy named Ron at McIntosh. Sad,

Ron-C

4-2-7 likes this.
  11. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

unheard of!

12. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Active Member

13. vignotra

vignotra Member

As I was told by the factory, for the D1100, in addition to the hardware upgrade, there is a firmware update that solves three small problems. But I did not know or want to answer the question: is there an update to make the D1100 read DSD512 and MQA files streams?

14. vignotra

vignotra Member

This morning I brought my D1100 to hardware and software upgrade. Let's hope that all go well.

MurrayLives likes this.
  15. joeinid

joeinid Well-Known Member

Good luck with everything.

16. jmslaw

jmslaw Member

Question for Ron C: I have the D1100 connected via the fixed outputs to my C1100. The C1100 has NOT taken over the input control of the D1100. I am told that I need a software upgrade. (Why, considering they are both essentially brand new is puzzling, but...) Frankly, I don't care about controlling the D1100 via the C1100. My only concern is that I am not utilizing TWO preamplifiers in the circuit. I only want to use the D1100 as a DAC. My ASSUMPTION (yes, dangerous word) is that the fixed output connection renders the D1100 a DAC only. Is that correct? Thanks, Jeff

17. ron-c

Your C1100 came with the custom interconnect cable that runs between the C1100 and D1100. When connected the D1100 will be a pure DAC with 8 digital inputs.
    Thanks,
    Ron-C

18. jmslaw

jmslaw Member

Ron, thank you for your response. Yes, I connected the cable between my D1100 and C1100 AND I have a pair of XLR cables connected from the fixed outputs of my D1100 to the Balanced Input no. 6 of my C1100. Are you saying I don't need the XLR interconnects? My understanding is that the cable which came with the C1100 was to pass data re control of inputs, and it is NOT an interconnect cable like the DIN cable which connects my D1100 and MCT450. Please advise. Thanks, Jeff

19. 'cisco

'cisco Well-Known Member

This thread and that review is dangerous...I may have to consider making a change from my MDA1K. :idea:

joeinid likes this.
  20. ron-c

The C1100 was developed before the D1100 as they fell out of sync. So yes you need a SW update which is how control functions are changed.
    Thanks,
    Ron-C