Nice vintage antenna for a Mac system

cblu2005

Hi,

I have the following Mac components:

C32
MC2205
MR78
MCD7009

Does anyone know of a nice antenna that can match the era and style of this system? I have a Terk antenna and it's pretty dull compared to my system.

Thanks -- chris

Indoor or outdoor?

Perhaps check out ...
www.antennaperformance.com

I don't think antennas ever were a "vintage" item.

Back in the '70s, the popular indoor item were the "BIC Beam box" antennas which come up for sale often on eBay, but these were not all that great at all (I used to own one). If you can get an outdoor antenna, you will be way better off.

Outdoor = Yes!

Chalk up another vote for outdoor antenna. It's the only way to fly.

Murray

Antennae are made to be used outside, not looked at inside, if you're trying to feed a better quality signal into your MR78 tuner.

As Ed Hanlon of APS is fond of saying, "There's no such thing as an ugly antenna!" :banana:

Antenna?

My main system:

C33
MC2255
MR78
MCD7005

And I've always used a big VHF/UHF/FM antenna with a rotator. And I just got a new antenna & rotator to try to get these elusive HDTV over-the-air signals. What a scam HDTV is, but that's another story. The antenna pegs the meters on my tuners all over the house.

Anyway, I was just looking at the booklet I got from McIntosh in 1984 when I got the amp/preamp new. On the list of FM stations I had checked all the ones I could pick up. Amazing, from four states.

I've never had good luck with indoor antennas (but I understand the Godar is pretty good).

System speakers?

BTW, since your mac system is so similar to mine, I was wondering what kind of speakers you're using.

I vote for a Godar. I've got one of those in the linving room and found it better than an Magnum Dynalab whip. Not by much, but given they cost less, pretty good value for the money.

If you've got the cash, go to antennaperformance.com and look at Ed Hanlon's indoor antenna. Looks ugly, but maybe you can stick it in a window. Sure to give you better performance than those whips.

antenna

i use an outdoor antenna these days with my mr78, used a terk for a while it seemed to add noise. I live far out in the hills and only can get a few stations here, community stations far left of the radio dial. There is a dipole antenna in the c.crane co. that costs like $29 I believe, I used it after the terk it worked great, of course, not as good as an outdoor one. I loan this antenna to those on my mountain to pull in our local station, and all seem to end up getting one.

cblu2005 said:
Hi,

I have the following Mac components:

C32
MC2205
MR78
MCD7009

Does anyone know of a nice antenna that can match the era and style of this system? I have a Terk antenna and it's pretty dull compared to my system.

Thanks -- chris

I have been using my MR78 for over 15 years. I have tried different indoor antennas over the years with luke warm results. Finally, I bought an APS outdoor antenna and I couldn't be happier. Really, with any tuner as good as your MR78 you need a good outdoor antenna. The MR78 without a good antenna is like a Porshe without tires.

If you have a small balcony, you can plant the antenna performance out there, you can also put a PVC tube over it to protect it (should not impact its perfromance). Not as good as an outdoor, but ...

[
intennasml-1.jpg

Or IMO, the other choice is the Godar if you don't have the balcony option ...

[
GODFM1A_000.jpg

Final choice, a BIC Beam Box placed near a window. They come up on eBay all the time. Do a google, a lot of people have owned these, and there are a lot of suggestions on how to get the best of it.

If you have money to burn, there used to be the AudioPrism indoor antenna, which comes up for sale time to time on eBay, but this is 2X more expensive than an outdoor antenna.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom