Night And Day Differences. Perhaps They Are Defined Within Context Of The System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
I find it interesting to read threads, where someone claims a component, or change they made creates a significant difference in their system. Then someone comes along and said they used the same component, or something similar and their experiences were nowhere near as dramatic, or even a non-event. I have always found it interesting that people can have differing experiences with the same or similar pieces.

But perhaps this recent event sheds a bit of light on it for me. I have had positive experiences with power cords from a certain company on my source components. I decided to order one for my integrated amp, however it takes a 20A end, so I could just not move a previous cord over for a comparative experience. So the new cord arrives, and I begin the break in process, which has its own set of detractors here, but never the less I do this. The results were positive in some aspects, and less than stellar in others. The manufacturer claims a longer break in time due to materials, and since this is a power amp its quite easy to put hours on it. So I get around the 100 hour mark and am not into this whole hog.

Now a friend of a friend calls up and wants to hear the system, and could he come over in the afternoon. Sure I said. So in preparation I pull this cord, and install the stock power cord. I really don't listen to the system, but start playing music in preparation. Once this fellow gets hear, he gets the chair time. We go through a lot of music, and he likes the system a lot. Got feedback confirmation that this fellow was just not being polite, but did like it. So that evening I finally sit down to listen to music, thinking this power cord isn't going to work and I am going to exercise my 30 day return option. I start a reference song, and I am taken aback. This sounds absolutely terrible, like its broken. I listen for awhile, but cannot take it any longer. Drop the new cord back in and things improve dramatically, however the parts where I have issues still exist. But in spite of them, I will take this sound any day of the week!

Now for me the differences were indeed dramatic. Yet for the other person the system sounded superb the way it existed without the power cord. I listen to it, and it sounds wretched in comparison. Different perspectives with the same system, based on different experiences.

Now, what I suspect is happening is that the revised system is showing issues with the interconnects. When I bought these interconnects I used different gear, SET and British sounding speakers. I preferred the lively presentation these cables had over some Cardas Golden Cross I was considering. But within the context of these JBL monitors and the hybrid Musical Fidelity amp, I suspect it has gone just too far. So I am looking to make an incremental change, and get a slightly less forward set of interconnects. What I originally suspected to be a flaw in the new power cord may very well be a different issue, but unable to be heard due to the grey and atonal nature, the limits per say of the stock power cord. I could easily see a scenario where a product might make significant differences in one system, yet have minimal effects in another. And then whose take on it is right? Or really are both listeners correct, and have a different ratio of cost versus performance ratio?

Now I know this is going to be a topic that is difficult to discuss rationally. However, there are a few on AK who know that capabilities of this system, and heard the effects of cabling in it. So, I am going to place a great deal of credence in what I hear and shared experience.

Regards
Mister Pig

Interesting, definitely, and the differences might indeed be a result of changes to interconnects, etc.

However, without blind tests it's impossible to identify what changes caused acoustic differences, and what changes caused purely psychoacoustic differences. In other words, it's impossible to tell what caused physical changes in sound, vs what caused perceived changes in hearing resulting from awareness of a change, but no physical change in sound.

Interesting, definitely, and the differences might indeed be a result of changes to interconnects, etc.

However, without blind tests it's impossible to identify what changes caused acoustic differences, and what changes caused purely psychoacoustic differences. In other words, it's impossible to tell what caused physical changes in sound, vs what caused perceived changes in hearing resulting from awareness of a change, but no physical change in sound.

And the invite is always out for you to come over and participate. I even have a guest bedroom that I can offer.

Regards
Mister Pig

So as you audition other interconnects, you intend to use the new power cord, or the old? Or compare both? Do you think the power cord can influence the sound enough to affect your choice of IC?

So as you audition other interconnects, you intend to use the new power cord, or the old? Or compare both? Do you think the power cord can influence the sound enough to affect your choice of IC?

It is an interesting question. As there is a variation of this power cord I could send it back and get it reconfigured to. But is that the solution that will optimize things to work with these current interconnects? I really do not know.

Or is it a characteristic of these specific interconnects I am hearing now, due to the raise in system performance due to the power cord? I do believe this is the case, as the differences between the stock power cord and this one are significant in my book, within the context of this system. Is it perfect? No quite yet, the results have moved in the right direction, but its not quite there. This is not the first power cord I have put in here, I have a Shuntaya Diamondback I tried before this, and the results were less favorable than the stock cord. These 20A ends make finding candidates a bit problematic.

What I need to do is listen a bit more, and decide if it is indeed present on both analog and digital. If this is the case, it would point to the interconnects. If it only resides on the digital side, then I start to investigate this particular digital cable, and as a tertiary cause perhaps that pair of interconnects.

The solution is within my grasp, but its not just an A then B decision. But the system id indeed sounding very good, there is just a bit more upside to be coaxed out of it.

Regards
Mister Pig

You could A/B the power cords for the friend that liked the original.

Maybe you already did that (?)

Last edited:
The question I have is, if one does not believe in cable sound, will the listener not hear a difference even if a very slight one is actually there?

Indeed, this thread has been interesting in many respects (thus far). @Mister Pig --I think what you may be hearing are the effects of "synergy"--certain combinations work exceptionally well together, and others do not play well with others at all. I have read (and appreciated) many of your threads, so I know you are very much into TTs, so I'll use them as a basis for discussion. Swapping out a cart, tonearm, stylus, or even just "tweaking" alignment factors can make a huge difference in the sound/performance of pretty much any TT set-up.

I also agree with your process of changing one thing at a time to see/hear what (if any) difference occurs--that is the only way to determine what change made the difference (again, if any)--and "different" is just that--different--you may or may not like the change--but that is up to your own perception/preference.

Let's please not let this interesting thread devolve into the all-too-frequent Less Filling/Tastes Great shout-match.

But then again, a pig knows where it is posting. Its not the dbt free zone here.

So the thread closure is imminent anyhow.

A power cable sound thread? Really? These threads even go sideways over at headfi, where cable bs is "normal" nowadays. Sad.

I shall not take part in any shenanigans, but will make sure to represent the science side.

You know, the science that made this thread and the cable discussion within, possible.

I kid you not. I can hear differences in some cables, even USB cables.

Deciding which is better, which is worse is a drag though.

It's like you have to swap cables for every recording.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom