Nightwisher's Systems In "Luxman's Room" And Beyond: Some New And Lots of Vintage

You should really consider finding a suitable preamp.
Yeah, I plan on getting a nicer preamp in the future, however I've spent just about as much as I'm going to spend for now on my system (at least as far as the money I've planned on spending). The Cybernet preamp is doing a fine job and seems to mate well with the system, however I'm sure a better preamp will improve it further. At least for now, the system does not leave me wanting for more and sounds quite a bit better than what it's replacing.

Last edited:
I mentioned on my "Amazon Prime Day" thread that all I found was an AmoVee headphone stand. I got it for half price at $10. I don't know if the stand is worth $20 since there isn't much to it, but it was worth the $10 for sure and it does look really nice. It looks better with my headphones on it than it did in the listing. :p

20160715_175457.jpg

^^^That's Pretty Cool, I was thinking of just getting a mannequin head.........I saw some green glass Heads that were cool too.

,Mike

Yeah, I plan on getting a nicer preamp in the future, however I've spent just about as much as I'm going to spend for now on my system (at least as far as the money I've planned on spending). The Cybernet preamp is doing a fine job and seems to mate well with the system, however I'm sure a better preamp will improve it further. At least for now, the system does not leave me wanting for more and sounds quite a bit better than what it's replacing.
You really need to lose the Pioneer EQ as preamp. Perhaps a set of DIY attenuators would work in your system. I used that approach for more than a decade with my CD source since the player (GamuT CD-1) had high gain and low output impedance. You can literally build one for about $20 and it would sound noticeably better than the Pioneer if your digital source has enough gain.

As a point of reference, I had an Audio Research SP9 MKIII at the time. While I had to use it for the vinyl source, my Radio Shack sourced attenuators sounded better than the ARC with the CD source. I later built a nicer version using DACT stepped attenuators, JPS Labs wire and Cardas connectors and put it in a prettier aluminum box which I still have on the shelf somewhere.

se1.jpg
se2.jpg

You really need to lose the Pioneer EQ as preamp. Perhaps a set of DIY attenuators would work in your system. I used that approach for more than a decade with my CD source since the player (GamuT CD-1) had high gain and low output impedance. You can literally build one for about $20 and it would sound noticeably better than the Pioneer if your digital source has enough gain.

As a point of reference, I had an Audio Research SP9 MKIII at the time. While I had to use it for the vinyl source, my Radio Shack sourced attenuators sounded better than the ARC with the CD source. I later built a nicer version using DACT stepped attenuators, JPS Labs wire and Cardas connectors and put it in a prettier aluminum box which I still have on the shelf somewhere.

se1.jpg
se2.jpg
The Pioneer is out and the Cybernet is in as preamp. The EQ is just an EQ now in this temporary setup. Once the new system is setup in the apartment, my MiniDSP will be taking over EQ (and crossover/delay) duty. The Pioneer won't even be traveling with me as I have other plans for it in a less critical system.

The Cybernet will hold me over until I can experiment with a passive preamp and/or a better preamp. I have a bit too much on my plate right now to research and buy/build a passive pre at the moment. I needed a good separate tuner first, which was one main reason I bought the Cybernet set as well as for the rarity and nice silver face (beyond actually needing a preamp). I also would prefer to keep a tape loop in the system for now as I have enough badly mastered music that I prefer to give help from my processors as well as a bunch of very noisy records.

That black model does look very nice :thumbsup:, but out of my price range at the moment. I'll do more research when I have the time; perhaps over winter break.

^^^That's Pretty Cool, I was thinking of just getting a mannequin head.........I saw some green glass Heads that were cool too.

,Mike
I was thinking of using a skull originally but I haven't been able to find one with good reviews. They all seem to have issues with the paint and decorations coming off, which would be awful if it came off on the headphones. Plus, I can't seem to find a low cost plain one. I really like the simple elegance of this stand and it'll look nice sitting out in the open next to a vintage receiver when I get my systems moved to the apartment.

A few updates:

I got more things moved into the apartment yesterday. Got all 6 of the surround speakers I'm going to be using along with all their stands in there. Also got the TV and my Rock Band Ottoman in there. (The bookshelf speakers are still in the Ottoman and the rest of the stands are hiding at the foot of the bed). The Ottoman is fully licensed by the Rock Band video game and includes velcro straps on the inside to mount the guitars and other game components. My dad bought my brother and I each one for Christmas not long after the first game came out. That thing is fairly hefty, even without the speakers in it (I believe it's made of real wood, not just cheap particle board).

20160716_163229.jpg

20160716_163243.jpg

Since the TV moved out of my room back home, I shifted some stuff to make a Kenwood system (two really). It's still a work in progress and mainly just a way to use all my equipment and some of my dad's. When the rest of my main system is moved out, that blue chair will be put in the sweet spot.

20160717_165251.jpg

Also got the Sanyo cabinet done. Since it's too small to hold normal-sized equipment, I'm using it for vinyl, 45s, and my CD "queue".

20160717_165259.jpg

Last edited:
Added more stuff to the Kenwood setup. It'll be great once I can slide the chair back.

20160718_201122.jpg

New speakers in today...Eosone RSF 200s. I got them on EBay for $70 (actually $57 after an EBay bucks certificate earned from buying my other gear :p). I saw them on there and figured I would buy them to use in my computer setup, especially since I had just gotten all 7 of my Onkyo speakers, the 4 satellite stands, and the Onkyo sub sold and out of the house (for a good chunk of change). Currently, they're in the Kenwood system for testing.

This was the first time I was able to A/B the Eosones against a pair of Boston Acoustics (VR20s directly and CR8s indirectly). Man, the Eosones really do beat the Bostons (at least the VR20s and CR8s). The Eosones are crystal clear and smooth and have nice full bass. They sound like their big brother RSF 600s, just a bit less bass. The Bostons sound a bit muddy, lacking in bass (7" vs. 8", so understandable, but the Bostons have the advantage of tower vs. bookshelf), a bit harsh, and slightly muddy (especially in the midrange - voices sounded muffled) in comparison. It's not bad enough to make the Bostons sound bad, but it's still noticeable and they don't sound as good as the Eosones. Certainly noticeable enough that I found myself switching back to the Eosones as fast as possible, feeling very pleased when I did. Turning down the treble a tick helped the Bostons along, but the Eosones were still smoother. Imagining, soundstage, and depth were excellent with both speakers, but the Eosones edged out the Bostons there as well. Everything sounded more real on the Eosones, which meant they have better timbre, and this (along with the rest of the tonal qualities) led to a more gripping and powerful sound that was a lot more enjoyable to listen to. The height of the VR20s probably contributes to a bit of this problem as they are only 32" tall, however that's not something I would be able to change very easily so they are what they are. Even the CR8s, which were in the same position as the Eosones, were bested by the VR20s in a direct comparison so were really bested by the Eosones.The positions of both speakers are not ideal, but they are not ideal in about the same way for both speakers so that eliminates that variable at least partially.

I did find the Bostons to be more revealing than the Eosones of bad recordings, however the Eosones still shined more than the Bostons on good recordings. For what I listen to, having both of those traits is definitely a good thing. I just want the best sound for my music.

The Eosones are heavy for their size, around 20 pounds apiece (shipping weight was 41 pounds for the pair). I expected nothing less, considering the heft of their big brothers. The VR20s weigh around 30 apiece and the CR8s are about 16. That definitely speaks volumes about their build quality, because they weigh around 20 without grills.

For $57, I have an amazing set of speakers. The Boston VR20s, while they still sound nice in comparison, are clearly beaten by them. It's interesting that the Eosones bested them so handily considering they both cost pretty much the same in the mid-90s (~$600 for the RSF 200s vs. ~$550 for the VR20s). That just goes to show that price isn't everything, and design and build quality can make a huge difference.

My dad and I are probably going to try to make some new grills for them. The vinyl is cracked on the top front of left speaker, but I might just leave it because that looks to be a pain to fix. There are some surface scratches, mainly on the top of the right speaker. Those three issues (plus the lack of brand recognition) brought the price down, which was fine by me. I can deal with some minor cosmetic issues for that price :banana:, especially since the grills can be replaced (except for the logo, which will sadly be missing).

20160720_173243.jpg

Last edited:
Somehow I ended up with another pair of speakers today ;)...It's a good thing all my Onkyo are gone.

I found a pair of Polk R20s into GW today for $10. I've always wanted to try some Polks, so I figured why not. One of the woofers needed a regluing anyway, so I figured at the very least I could fix them and then pass them along to someone else (the woofer would have looked pretty bad to someone who didn't know how to fix it, such as it was). All that took was a bit of super glue and 10 minutes to dry (much easier than the refoaming jobs I've done).

These speakers sound good for their retail price ($130). They sound muffled and muddy in comparison to my nicer speakers, but they were much more listenable than I expected. They're not harsh and they pump out some really solid bass, albeit kind of muddy. They compared favorably to my dad's Scott S166s, having better bass and smoother highs. Midrange was clearer on the Scotts, but unnaturally so. Everything sounded more real on the R20s than the Scotts. That's no small feat, considering the S166s weren't cheap in their day. For budget speakers, one could do a lot worse. I think these would do excellent in a garage system, even without a sub. Now I'm really interested to hear high end Polks.

I don't really know what I'm going to do with them, now that they're fixed and I've listened to them. I'll figure something out; probably pass them along to a budding enthusiast or something.

20160721_195109.jpg

A couple more updates.

I got more of my audio stuff moved into the apartment on Saturday. The main thing was my audio stand, but also got all my processors, dbx DAV-600, my CD player, the big JVC receiver, and the Nak RE-2 in there as well. Unfortunately, the floor is a little uneven so I need to get some leveling feet on the stand before I can load it up. (Sorry for the dark pic. Those curtains really do their job even though we haven't finished getting them up.) It's definitely shaping up nicely.

20160723_161048.jpg

Back at home, I put my separates system and some other essential gear into my old TV stand for the next week. While it definitely sounds better than my RE-2, the imaging is not optimal at this distance (voices are centered in or behind my head). I'll mess with stuff a little more to see if I can do something about that (I may take the towers out sooner). When I was moving the PA-5, I realized there was a sticker on one of the back heatsinks from the place where it was checked out and bench-tested by a professional - so the seller wasn't lying. :jump:

20160725_165149.jpg

Last edited:
I have been gone for about a month and it seems like your system has double in size! I must say I am impressed, and also a little envious haha

I have been gone for about a month and it seems like your system has double in size! I must say I am impressed, and also a little envious haha
Thanks! I decided to go the separates route, since I got such a good deal on the PA-5, so that's led to an influx of a new core of the system (and some computer noise I'm still ironing out :rant:). And getting the RSF 600s led me to get the RSF 200s for my computer system as they were almost a steal as well. I sold my Onkyo surround set of 2 towers, 5 satellites, and passive sub for a good chunk of cash, so that has helped bankroll some of this new gear. From a speakers standpoint, I've gotten more out than in lately, which is good as I had no use for the Onkyos anymore.

The thrift stores have been unusually well stocked lately - I've actually passed on more gear than I've bought, which shocks me. The local Habitat For Humanity alone (today) had a complete Magnavox system in the cabinet with large speakers (unfortunately one of those all-in-one attached systems and speakers with non-removable grills), a new-model Sony turntable, a Technics DVD changer, a Sharp mini system, and a pair of Advent A1101s. Imagine all that crammed into a single aisle about 4 feet wide and 10 feet long, along with several printers, DVD players, small boomboxes, etc. Between the 2 Goodwills, there were 2 Onkyo multi-disc players (neither worked), as well as one complete and one nearly complete Sony surround system. People must not be having much luck getting rid of this stuff at yard sales or just donating it or something. I've had to enforce pretty strict standards on what I buy because there's so much right now. I try not to buy anything I can't find a use for and/or repair to pass along to someone else. If this continues, someone else will be getting their pick of the wealth as I'm moving down to the apartment in a few days. But then there's the stores down there in our state capital...:idea:

You are in the garden or eden for vintage audio nirvana! I have never heard of the company that makes that power amp. In your opinion how does it stack up to other amps?

Haha I feel your pain. I am making a move about 1400 miles away so I am having to pass on some deals as well. My wallet will be spared because I am moving to a small town area where there is really nothing that I have found on the local craigslists. Any purchases will more than likely have to be online.

Whatever happens with your system I am sure it will be bumping :banana::music:

You are in the garden or eden for vintage audio nirvana! I have never heard of the company that makes that power amp. In your opinion how does it stack up to other amps?

Haha I feel your pain. I am making a move about 1400 miles away so I am having to pass on some deals as well. My wallet will be spared because I am moving to a small town area where there is really nothing that I have found on the local craigslists. Any purchases will more than likely have to be online.

Whatever happens with your system I am sure it will be bumping :banana::music:
Well, the PA-5 is the only power amp I have ever listened to critically (besides power amps built into receivers). According to the reviews, it is overwhelmingly among some of the best amps out there. The designs were licensed from Nelson Pass, who makes even higher end amps under the company names of Threshold and now Pass Labs. It sounds better than everything else I have on hand at the moment, even with the computer noise (which is covered by most music).

Nakamichi was mainly known for their cassette decks. Their Dragon and 1000ZXL are universally considered the best cassette decks out there. Their Dragon CD player and turntable were at the ultra high end at the time as well. They made other equipment that wasn't quite as well known, but was very high end stuff and very well-regarded. After the 80s, they started to slide and were out of the high end business by about 2001; they still exist, but don't make anything high end (the only thing I consider buying from them now is their banana plugs). That is why many people haven't heard of them.

It's going to be awesome when I can get it fine-tuned and all setup. :thumbsup:

Hmm interesting, I think I may keep my eye out for some of their stuff in future! Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing how things progress in the future! Good luck with the move!

Hmm interesting, I think I may keep my eye out for some of their stuff in future! Thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing how things progress in the future! Good luck with the move!
You definitely should. Seeing their stuff out in the "wild" is pretty rare, but it could happen, just like it happened for my Eosone RSF 600s (which are much rarer). Online, there's a healthy selection, albeit at a fairly high cost for a lot of it.

Thanks again. Wrestling 50-65 pound speakers (4 of them) plus two 30 pound subwoofers is on the list for the final move. But at least it's good exercise. I'll post more pictures of the apartment systems either this weekend or the beginning of next week when they're up and running. It's going to be awesome.

I started preparing for the final move today by removing my VR40s, VR12 and CR85s from the system (systems, since 3 of those speakers were attached to the surround system only). Now I'm just using the Eosone RSF 200s and the Mirage sub (everything still attached to the Nakamichi PA-5/Cybernet combo). It sounds awesome, even despite the fact that positioning is hardly optimal in this space. I wouldn't want to put anything bigger than the RSF 200s on those stands... (I need to look for some shorter stands at some point.) I believe this system will only be setup until Thusday night or Friday morning before I move it. I wanted to see how the RSF 200s would sound in the computer setup before I moved them (although they're getting spoiled right now versus the JVC receiver I'll be using with them).

20160727_231056.jpg

Last edited:
The final move of stuff is happening tomorrow (I'll move in permanently on Tuesday). In the meantime, I got a lot of my stuff (mainly speakers and subwoofers) into the apartment yesterday. I don't have much hooked up yet, but that will happen later. Curtains are still being reworked. The main equipment hurdle yesterday was getting cable and Internet hooked up. Even though I have all my music offline, I need my Netflix and AudioKarma at least (not to mention school stuff).

20160729_170258.jpg

On my last trip to the thrift stores for a while, I scored a Pioneer CT-W205R cassette deck. The thrift store, the small one I got the Eosones, Sanyo cabinet, and JVC from, had had it for a while (like 2 months), but it was $15. This time, it was marked down to $5 as-is. I figured I would buy it and keep it in reserve if it worked or pass it on for parts if it didn't. It had a sticky note on it while it was $15 that stated it "works fine", so I figured there was a strong chance it would at least partially work, even though the sticky note was gone when I bought it.

Turns out it does work, however the right door is currently jammed. The motor seemed a little wobbly but I think the whole case needs to be tightened. This is the first deck I've found at a thrift store that has been able to actually play a tape with both channels outputting sound. The others have had a channel out or wouldn't play or do some major function.

20160728_163434.jpg

My Kenwood KA-32 and Boston CR8s (the walnut woodgrain ones) have taken over as the desk system that will stay at the house once I leave. (Edit: added pic.)

20160801_222506.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom