Nightwisher's Systems In "Luxman's Room" And Beyond: Some New And Lots of Vintage

Nightwisher

Farer In The Goldilocks Zone
Subscriber
January 19, 2016: The Original Systems

Hi everyone, I'm Nightwisher (TheNightwisher on other forums) and these are my systems. Before you judge the way my setups are configured, it must be noted that I am a college student and space is limited. I'll be a college student for another 3+ years as I'm attending law school in the fall, which will keep the space limited as well.

This will be pretty long, so I apologize for that, but I want it to be as clear as possible.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1 DAC, MiniDSP 2x4 (shared with other 2.1), Pioneer EX-9000 Dynamic Range Expander, Pioneer SG-90 Graphic EQ, Kenwood KD-5066 Turntable, DBX 120 Subharmonic Synthesizer, Luxman DZ-92 CD Player and JVC Dual Tape Deck
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663, Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
Second 2.1 Setup: Kenwood KR-5030, Boston Acoustics VR20, Klipsch Sub12HG (Shared with 7.1), MiniDSP 2x4, Toshiba CD Player, Asus Xonar U3 Soundcard
Reserve Equipment: Kenwood KR-5600 (probably for an office or bedroom setup soon), Boston Acoustics CR85s and CR75s (For Atmos later), Kenwood KC-105 (this will probably run an amp in the garage someday as I really no longer have a need for its phono input)

I've bought the majority of my equipment used on EBay over the past few years (perhaps from members of this forum). I absolutely love the Boston Acoustics speakers in both stereo and surround; for my price point, they offer no compromises for either.

As you can see in my descriptions, I share components with the different systems. The 2.1 setups are technically dedicated as they are run by dedicated stereo receivers and not my surround receivers, but share speakers and subwoofers. The MiniDSP is easy to switch between the systems as I have settings for each setup that I load on there.

The Toshiba "CD" player is actually a DVD player. This is really a stand-in currently for a better CD player when I can find one at a price I like. Preferably, I'd like to pick one up cheap from Goodwill.

The computer is my custom-built model. Also, there is a monitor missing in the first picture as it is in my dorm room (picture 4).

My pictures aren't the best in the world because the camera on my phone is difficult to work with, so I apologize for that. I've been changing a lot of stuff around lately so I haven't been able to get updated pictures taken with an actual camera. The last image of the space is an older one; I've moved my surrounds out recently and it improved their impact. I have tons more images, but those are the best ones.

20160117_150318.jpg 20160117_150110.jpg
20160117_192004.jpg 20160119_171727.jpg
20151018_134859.jpg 20160103_001118.jpg
Enjoy,
Nightwisher

Last edited:
Very nice space sir! Welcome to AK.

And keep your eyes open at Goodwill. I've found a Technics SL-PG100 and an NEC CD-730 for $4 each.

Wish I had all that when I was in college lol , good for you looks great.
Thanks. Yeah I'm one of the lucky people that has a good deal of scholarship money (SC offers excellent in-state scholarships) and earn enough money working to be able to afford to buy audio equipment with what I make. Now once law school debt starts coming in that's another story...

Thats good that you enjoy spending your hard earned dollars on something that you enjoy and will give you a lifetime of pleasure.

Got a new component in today for my secondary system: a JVC XL-V211 CD player. This came from a very generous Audiokarma member and I feel even more a part of the family now. Not a very high end unit, but a solid late 80's player that certainly beats out my Toshiba. It even has a pause button on the front! Toshiba graciously left a pause button off their unit, so I had to use the remote all the time. Tonight I'm rocking out to the new Drowning Pool CD. :rockon:

20160206_220833.jpg

Upgraded all my cables in my primary setup to shielded cables this weekend to fix a noise issue from my unshielded cables (they were just cables we had lying around the house; some were even from old VCRs). They eliminated that issue 100%. The cables I bought were Monoprice premium shielded 6ft RCA cables for about $3.30 apiece. They're nice-looking and sturdy too. I'm definitely pleased with that purchase. :cool:

Looks like fun! I'm a grad student too, I feel the financial squeeze. I've able to go up the audio chain a bit my flipping gear, and doing lots of reforms locally. Gets me some fun experience and exposure

Very nice, I love my Boston Acousitic CR8's and CR6's - - - For the price they sound FANTASTIC and like a very very very much higher priced speaker. I will never part with my BA's - ENJOY---

Very nice, I love my Boston Acousitic CR8's and CR6's - - - For the price they sound FANTASTIC and like a very very very much higher priced speaker. I will never part with my BA's - ENJOY---
Thanks. I love mine as well and I certainly won't be parting with them either.

Just passed through this thread again. I started collecting stereo gear while I was living in a dorm setting. When you move to an apartment with a little bit more room, you'll love the sonic improvements :) (Hopefully that doesn't sound patronizing; I just mean I can sympathize with space constraints)

Just passed through this thread again. I started collecting stereo gear while I was living in a dorm setting. When you move to an apartment with a little bit more room, you'll love the sonic improvements :) (Hopefully that doesn't sound patronizing; I just mean I can sympathize with space constraints)
Thanks. I'm truly looking forward to getting an apartment in the fall with an actual living room.

Back
Top Bottom