Nightwisher's Systems In "Luxman's Room" And Beyond: Some New And Lots of Vintage

Testing out a new set of speakers that I picked up yesterday. DCM CX-17s. Wow they sound awesome. The imaging is concise and the transmission line puts out some monster bass for the size (down to 45 Hz at -3 dB!).

20170913_143141.jpg

You're hearing the benefits of coaxial radiation - very much contrary to the Marantz Imperials where the widely spaced midranges are subject to comb filter effects.
Be that as it may, they still don't have the realism of the Imperials.

I picked up a pair of Polk SDA 2s today. The price was too low to pass on and they were on my dream speaker short list, especially after getting my Monitor 10s.

They sound amazing of course. Rich and musical is the best way I can describe them. I hate switching out the Marantz Imperials so soon (I was happy with those too), but the SDAs will be there to stay.

Unfortunately one of the tweeters is dead so I don't have the tweeters going in the SDA array. Luckily, I still have a spare one from fixing my Monitor 10s, just gotta go get it. The grilles also aren't in the best shape because the owner had a cat (declawed luckily), but not bad. Otherwise they're in great shape.

Eventually I'll pair my Nakamichi PA-5 with them to really make them happy, but for now the Toshiba works just fine for this space.

It was definitely the weirdest deal I've ever done getting these. He'd had them on FB Marketplace for a month or so, and now I finally had some money to actually get them. He got injured a while back which is why he was selling them. Long story short, he pawned them and we had to go buy them back from the pawn shop before I could get my hands on them. Worked out great though and he was very appreciative of the extra cash.

20170916_193226.jpg

20170916_195309.jpg

Last edited:
A new toy to play with: a Tascam DA-30 MK II DAT Player/Recorder

The top has some blemishes but the face plate is immaculate. It's definitely a well-built piece of equipment. I really like the feel of the buttons.

EDIT: After ordering a tape to try it out, it doesn't work :(

20171103_195847.jpg

Last edited:
New gear:

Realistic SA-150 Integrated Amplifier (a whole 1.8 wpc!): Works great. I'm thinking of using it for travel.

Pioneer SX-939 Receiver: Works but the sound keeps cutting out (I can hear it clicking on and off). Probably a bad relay or something. Surprisingly all the lights work except a couple input lights. If we can get it fixed, I think my dad will use it.

Sonance Sonamp 260: Works great. Nice sized torroidal transformer :biggrin: I'll keep it in reserve.

20171111_182808.jpg

20171111_182836.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to try the Sonamp in place of the Toshiba about 2 weeks ago and the Sonamp has stayed in. The Sonamp sounds better with the SDA-2s, which is nice because it has 100 watts/ch RMS and 190 watts/ch dynamic power available for the 4 ohm SDA-2s. I loved the Toshiba but it was strained with these speakers. The Sonamp also has a bit lower sensitivity (and it's adjustable) compared to the Toshiba.

I loved the looks of the Toshiba, but the Sonamp is simple. I do love the gold-colored feet, which match with my Luxman gear.

Not bad for an amp that cost me less than a Starbucks coffee :D

20171130_191442.jpg

Also picked up a new ornament for the left speaker.

20171130_193959.jpg

Last edited:
Starting the upgrade process on the SDA-2s from the SL2000 tweeter to the improved RDO-194. Got one pair in, still got to order the other pair. Definitely a noticeable improvement right off: smoother and more defined, imaging is sharper.

20171206_175812.jpg

Last edited:
In pursuit of my sound curiousity, I traded my EPIs and Realistic STA-42 Receiever (stuff that has been on the chopping block anyway) for a pair of Bose 901 Series 1s. To get 901s for about $50 worth of stuff makes me very happy.

I got them sounding pretty good just with EQing by ear (they didn't come with the EQ, grilles and stands). I can see where they would sound nice with the proper curve. I could also see where I needed my sub to fill out their bottom end to my satisfaction.

They're not going to replace my SDA-2s but will find a spot in a secondary system.

20171214_171253.jpg

Some updates:

No pics, but I have Klipsch KG3s and Cerwin-Vega D-2s awaiting repair and resale.

My dad found me a Yamaha R-8 receiver. Works but needs a cleaning.

20171229_164414.jpg

My grandfather gave me his Kyocera record clamp.

20180103_230133.jpg

And the final pair of RDO-194 tweeters are installed in my SDA-2s.

20180109_002450.jpg

How do you like the new tweeters?
They definitely sound smoother than the old ones. Replacing the main pair made a bigger difference but replacing the others smoothed out the sound even further. I love the SDA-2s even more now.

I picked up a Denon AVR-1611 yesterday to use in my computer surround system (a ~2010 model).
I flipped the Yamaha RX-V1300 it replaced this morning.
I'm still messing around with Audyssey. I like having the flexibility it gives unlike the primitive Yamaha system (which was about 15 years old now).

20180120_150808.jpg

Also got a new computer gaming chair a few weeks ago. It's very ergonomic and good for my back. I'm trying to get more into computer games again, starting with Tomb Raider: Underworld.

20171209_204850.jpg

Keep in mind those SDA's sound better the more power and current you give them. I have a couple sets 1's and 1c's.
Indeed they do, which is why I've got the high power/current Sonance in use. Unfortunately, I can't open them up too much in the apartment. Eventually my Nakamichi PA-5 will be paired with them but that's overkill for the apartment and my TV causes a ground loop.

Back
Top Bottom