Nightwisher's Systems

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Nightwisher, Jan 19, 2016.

1. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Here's the RPi used in the garage-here you want a computer with a small RFI footprint (quad core ARM10) in the listening space driven by a linear power supply connected via BNC. It also employs a 600 MB buffer so that playback is essentially from memory:

[​IMG]

Better exists (like the uRendu in the main system), but this is a phenomenally cost effective platform!

Johnny_Law and Nightwisher like this.
  2. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

Beam me up Scotty! :thumbsup:

Nightwisher likes this.
  3. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

Testing out a new set of speakers that I picked up yesterday. DCM CX-17s. Wow they sound awesome. The imaging is concise and the transmission line puts out some monster bass for the size (down to 45 Hz at -3 dB!).

20170913_143141.jpg

Ds2000 and Audioraven like this.
  4. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

You're hearing the benefits of coaxial radiation - very much contrary to the Marantz Imperials where the widely spaced midranges are subject to comb filter effects.

Nightwisher and asilker like this.
  5. Nightwisher

Be that as it may, they still don't have the realism of the Imperials.

Ds2000 likes this.
  6. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

TL loading or not, a 6.5" woofer is not going to provide truly full range response.

In some cases, bigger really is better. :)

7. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

8" definitely sounds bigger than 5". 15" you really get to feel though

Nightwisher and Ds2000 like this.
  8. Nightwisher

I picked up a pair of Polk SDA 2s today. The price was too low to pass on and they were on my dream speaker short list, especially after getting my Monitor 10s.

They sound amazing of course. Rich and musical is the best way I can describe them. I hate switching out the Marantz Imperials so soon (I was happy with those too), but the SDAs will be there to stay.

Unfortunately one of the tweeters is dead so I don't have the tweeters going in the SDA array. Luckily, I still have a spare one from fixing my Monitor 10s, just gotta go get it. The grilles also aren't in the best shape because the owner had a cat (declawed luckily), but not bad. Otherwise they're in great shape.

Eventually I'll pair my Nakamichi PA-5 with them to really make them happy, but for now the Toshiba works just fine for this space.

It was definitely the weirdest deal I've ever done getting these. He'd had them on FB Marketplace for a month or so, and now I finally had some money to actually get them. He got injured a while back which is why he was selling them. Long story short, he pawned them and we had to go buy them back from the pawn shop before I could get my hands on them. Worked out great though and he was very appreciative of the extra cash.

20170916_193226.jpg

20170916_195309.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    bigx5murf, Ds2000 and Audioraven like this.