Nikko Gamma V arrived today

Danamc

I'd been looking at the Nikko Gamma V for years to auditon. It's rep was that it was a great sounding tuner, and built like a brick. But it was digital. A skinny rack-mount like the Sanyo T-55. Analog was the mantra. Analog. Analog. I never cared for the digital sound in the past. Tried a bunch. In a weak moment I picked it off the Bay.

Connected to the APS-9B on the roof, this little guy can really pull them in. As selective and sensitive as the mod'd 600T it's replacing on the tuner rack. Six presets. Nice. :)

Now to the sound. Let me tell you, this is an excellent sounding tuner. :music: Nice wide deep soundstage with just the right amount of sibilance to female voices and cymbals. Soundstage slightly forward and distinct. Deep rich bass. A real surprise. :yes: The total package? Can this really be digital?

My tech informs me he just completed modding two of these units for a guy in New York. Scares me to think this tuner could sound any better but I'm willing to risk it. Definitely a keeper.

Attachments

• Nikko 014.jpg
    Nikko 014.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Danamc said:
I'd been looking at the Nikko Gamma V for years to auditon. It's rep was that it was a great sounding tuner, and built like a brick. But it was digital. A skinny rack-mount like the Sanyo T-55. Analog was the mantra. Analog. Analog. I never cared for the digital sound in the past.

The Nikko is analog under the hood. Only the tuning circuitry is digital. The rest is analog. Nikko took the expensive and rare step of designing the tuner with 2 separate transformers and supply circuitry for each section. That and some great shielding, help to make it a very low noise tuner. I think the gamma 1 is a quality tuner too,with similar shielding but don't know if it nikko separated the sections with individual transformer haven't seen one. Stay away from the cheaper gamma's though.

I remember reading this on audigon awhile back:

12-23-05: Bdscott (Don Scott)
I recently upgraded a Nikko Gamma 5: additional IF filter, swapping out one linear-phase IF modules in favor of two standard ceramic IF filters, improved audio output IC, better audio output caps, improved high blend. It is hard to believe it gets much better -- WOW! 35-40dB adjacent-channel selectivity in Narrow with no ill effects.

Good Luck, it's a keeper and definitely worth putting some work into.

Danamc said:
I'd been looking at the Nikko Gamma V for years to auditon. It's rep was that it was a great sounding tuner, and built like a brick. But it was digital.

I suppose I should have been clearer in my description of the Gamma V as "digital" by saying that it is digitally synthesized. :) But isn't that what we usually mean by the descriptive "digital tuner"? :scratch2:

Last edited:
i've never heard that one, but i am not surprised you like it - many herald its wirtues, & the analog gamma 1 i have heard is also a great tuna.

re: digital tunas, you can get excellent sound outta them. some i have heard that are fantastic include hitachi ft-8000, jvc fx1100, sumo charlie, sumo aurora, sony st-s730es, pioneer f-91, roksan caspian, accuphase t109, meridian 204, audiolab 8000t, revox b261, revox b760. i am likely forgetting a couple. ;)

doug s.

Danamc said:
I suppose I should have been clearer in my description of the Gamma V as "digital" by saying that it is digitally synthesized. :) But isn't that what we usually mean by the descriptive "digital tuner"? :scratch2:

I agree, for the most part. I was just pointing out the obvious. I think your initial post mentioned digital in reference to sound quality and that's why I replied. Bad sounding tuners sound remarkably the same whether they're vintage or current; cold, thin and one dimensional. There's a bunch of really outstanding 'digital' tuners out there from the 80's and 90's (and some even have remotes :D ). Most recent tuners are more 'digital' by design primarily to cut cost and thus sound quality suffers- but the output is essentially analog what matters is how you deliver it.

Regardless of how its done it works when its well designed, well constructed and good quality parts are used. The Gamma V is a fine example of that and Tandberg is another.

edit- Jeez, just saw your avatar; no more digital tuners for you!!

Last edited:
In my original post I mentioned the Sanyo T-55 as an example only in terms of its size and configuration.

I've had the pleasure of sampling a number of digital tuners through the years, and although very nice in their own regard, I found most not particularly appealing to my ears. Digital tuners I've owned include the Hitachi Ft-8000 (not impressed), Sony ST-S730ES (nice ergonomics but somewhat thin diffuse soundstage, not much imaging), Accuphase T-106, T-108 (aside from the T100, I just haven't found an accuphase that delivers that "pull you in" rich sound; haven't tried the T-109), and the Sanyo T-55 (Not bad, but not a keeper), Meridian 504 (Nice sound but poor selectivity), Luxman T-117 (OK, but doesn't get the toes tappin'), and the Technics ST-9038 (really don't remember why I sold it, only that I sold it for something else). :scratch2:

Aside from the newly acquired Nikko Gamma V, the only digital I've kept for the past few years is the Audiolab 8000T. Nice ergonomics (though no remote), and a pleasant diffuse sound, with decent imaging and a fairly deep soundstage.

When compared to the likes of the 600T, TU-X1, TU-919, and 3001A, the digitals, in my opinion, just haven't measured up when it comes to sonics. This, of course, is to my ears only, when played through vintage SS components (700M, 700C (both rebuilt by EW), and AR-3A speakers with APS-9b antenna).

My preference is a more forward midrange and highs, with oodles of imaging, with rich deep bassline. This Nikko Gamma V really surprised me. Not particulary pretty but she sure can sing. YMMV. :)

. :D

Last edited:
hi dana,

interesting you consider the 3001a analog. most technical types consaider it to be digital, as it's varactor based.

best,

doug s.

influx said:
. There's a bunch of really outstanding 'digital' tuners out there from the 80's and 90's (and some even have remotes :D ). !

Influx, curious to know which 80s and 90s "digitally synthesized" tuners you happen to like. :scratch2:

Last edited:
The Gamma V I just picked up was modded by Bill Ammons, the RF Guru, but don't know what he may have done...I'll have to email him with SN to find out. I did get a manual with mine Dana if you need one...then we'll be even for the Sanyo Plus T55.

L'wood

L'wood said:
The Gamma V I just picked up was modded by Bill Ammons, the RF Guru, but don't know what he may have done...I'll have to email him with SN to find out. I did get a manual with mine Dana if you need one...then we'll be even for the Sanyo Plus T55.

L'wood

That'd be great! You have my address? Hope your son is enjoying the T-55. :)

Danamc said:
Influx, curious to know which 80s and 90s "digitally synthesized" tuners you happen to like. :scratch2:

Well you now have two of my favorites! Unfortunately I don't own either one :no: yet! I know the nikko very well though and get a listen to the tandberg every now and then when visiting friends (i'm working on them :) ) I do own a Onkyo 9090II and a Pioneer F-91. The Onkyo gets played quite a bit. It's in the basement/rec room. The computer and my bench are down there as well so it get lots of play! Nothing else I own pulls in stations as well as the Onkyo does from the basement.

Back
Top Bottom