Nikko NR 1415 vs?

1StopVintage

Hello all,

So I just picked a near mint Nikko 1415 for a very good price. I won't say what I paid, but I will say that I've paid more for a pair of non expensive tennis shoes! I was considering reselling it but after listening to it, I am having second thoughts. It sounds VERY good through a pair of Pioneer HPM 100s. It is in near perfect condition cosmetically, and everything including all functions, bulbs and meters work flawlessly! I mean this thing is crispy! My question is how does this compare to other receivers from that era? Not just power but sound quality etc. I have a Pioneer sx 750 that sounds very good as well but it's obviously nowhere near as powerful. A google search of Nikko vs Pioneer lead me to another forum, and everybody that commented was pretty much bashing the Nikko brand altogether. I'm not sure why because I'm very impressed so far.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've never heard a NR1415 but I'm quite sure it would be an awesome unit! All Nikko gear I have come across have been very good through and through. I'm sure a few peeps that own one will confirm... I would love to find one!

Thank you!

Yes it is a "Monster receiver" from the late 70's rated at 175 wpc. I'll work on getting some pics later.

Hello all,

So I just picked a near mint Nikko 1415 for a very good price. I won't say what I paid, but I will say that I've paid more for a pair of non expensive tennis shoes! I was considering reselling it but after listening to it, I am having second thoughts. It sounds VERY good through a pair of Pioneer HPM 100s. It is in near perfect condition cosmetically, and everything including all functions, bulbs and meters work flawlessly! I mean this thing is crispy! My question is how does this compare to other receivers from that era? Not just power but sound quality etc. I have a Pioneer sx 750 that sounds very good as well but it's obviously nowhere near as powerful. A google search of Nikko vs Pioneer lead me to another forum, and everybody that commented was pretty much bashing the Nikko brand altogether. I'm not sure why because I'm very impressed so far.

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks
Ive been a fan of Nikko for over 30 yrs. My Dad brought the product home in the 80's and i was 10 yrs old. He has the pre amp tuner cassette and amp. Its the Alpha series. Its still solid! He bought the system along with a pair of Cerwin-Vega HED u321. I have them now.
I Dad tells the story that the salesman hooked the CV up to the Nikko system and he bought it all off the showroom floor! Ive sinced collected Nikko receivers and trying to grip a NR1415. Sure, built in Japan to compete with Pioneer Marantz Kenwood and the likes but was overlooked in my opinion due to it been a late bloomer in name. Sorta like MB vs Lexus. Well we all know how Lexus is doing!

I have a NR-1415 that I bought new 1979. Today I have 10 other monster receivers and I have compared it with a Pioneer SX-1250. I can't here any direct diffferens between them. And if you look inside you can see that most of the components are the same. The Nikko has also even better values than the Pioneer.

I had one and sold it. :(.... I found another one and bought it. :) I missed it.
Unfortunately, I payed a lot more than 40.00.

I have an Nikko NR-819 sitting in a box because I have no use for it. I completely rebuilt it in 2016, and had the tuner aligned by AK advertiser Wargo Electronics. Not that I've seriously listened to hundreds of amps and receivers, but it sounds as good as anything I have ever owned or seriously listened to.

My current system is all Nikko: NT-850 tuner, TRM-750 amp, which has pretty much relegated my Sansui AU-555a to backup duty.

Great receiver I have a Marant 2385, Pioneer sx-1250 and sx-1059 and Kenwood KR9600, Scott 390R) i would say I feel the Nikko is on par with any of them id be Leary to say better and start fights but i love the sound, and it is great looking big statement in the room (wider and taller than the SX-1250) great conversation starter and sounds awesome .. the outputs are the same T03s as the Pioneer SX-1250 and across the board including the nice walnut box its a great product .. I am always on the look out for another, Jackson is not far away ;-) lucky i didn't see it first!!!! Id like another if you want it redone hit me up the guy I used did a great job on mine and is not all that far from you, send me a PM and i will clue you in on the details

Oi!! I have a nr1415 and i am looking for a reputable location to have it restored. Anyone know of a good location around NH? I'm willing to travel a bit.

I absolutely love this receiver!!

Oi!! I have a nr1415 and i am looking for a reputable location to have it restored. Anyone know of a good location around NH? I'm willing to travel a bit.

I absolutely love this receiver!!
Congrats! its a real find, I love mine and was fortunate to have a guy nearby that has been doing this kind of thing as his primary job since the late 70s hopefully someone will chime in.. welcome to the club. I have a restoration thread of sorts.. really jsut an excited moment. there is a small enhancement he made to the protection circuit to allow the 4 pole omron relay to have double redundancy and off loads the protection LED to a small tiny relay triggered by the same transistor and cap that engages the main 4 pole relay.... i don't remember the details but given my left channel contacts had vaporized on a hot start .. if you are going down that road might be worth it ..

Back
Top Bottom