Nikon Battery and Charger Question

The one best thing to give yourself for your D3200 - a prime lens that is sharper and faster (low light capability) than either of the kits lenses (18-55mm or 55-200mm).

Buy either the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g or Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX lens. I paid $175 and $150 respectively. They take very sharp photos, the larger aperture will really enhance your low light/indoor shooting without flash.

I have the 35mm DX and 50 primes. Yeah, they are really sharp and a great deal for the money, but both of those kit lenses are really impressive performers too and very sharp especially if you stop them down a click or two.
Nikon does cheap lenses really well.

With regard to batteries. Camera should come with one. They last a really long time (usually) and they Nikon ones really aren't that expensive.
I was playing around with a D3300 yesterday. I am not nuts about the layout of the camera (I use a D7000) but in the grand scheme of things it's a darn good little camera. If those are the lenses the op got, with it that would be a nice little light weight outfit.
Happy shooting.

I have the 35mm DX and 50 primes. Yeah, they are really sharp and a great deal for the money, but both of those kit lenses are really impressive performers too and very sharp especially if you stop them down a click or two.
Nikon does cheap lenses really well.

With regard to batteries. Camera should come with one. They last a really long time (usually) and they Nikon ones really aren't that expensive.
I was playing around with a D3300 yesterday. I am not nuts about the layout of the camera (I use a D7000) but in the grand scheme of things it's a darn good little camera. If those are the lenses the op got, with it that would be a nice little light weight outfit.
Happy shooting.
I wasn't knocking kit lenses. In adequate light they do well. I'm amazed what I get in daylight with my 55-200mm DX VR kit.

I like shooting lower light with the faster primes.

Last edited:
I wasn't lnocking kit lenses. In adequate light they do well. I'm amazed what I get in daylight with my 55-200mm DX VR kit.

I like shooting lower light with the faster primes.
They work great for portraits and both the 35 and 50 are tack sharp at 2.8. Nice blown out backgrounds too.
My buddy is a pro and let me borrow his 85mm f1.4. Wow what a pretty chunk of glass. I used it primarily on my film camera with Ilford Pan F. Haven't developed it yet.

Thanks for the replies on the battery and lens. The camera kit did come with battery, charger, the 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I'm enjoying using it. I can see in the little I've learned and used it that a faster, sharper lens would be desired. Maybe sometime soon.:biggrin: Preston

Ive had my d3100 since 2010 or so and the battery is still going strong.Nikon battery and charger.

I recently sold a Nikon D200 that I bought new in 2006. The original battery still showed as new (0) on the scale in the menu. It rates the "age" of the battery from zero to 4. The camera had over 40k shutter clicks, but I also used the battery alternately with the battery in my D300. The D300 has almost 90k shutter clicks. The original battery from the D300, purchased in 2008, also shows a zero on the age scale.

I bought a D500 about 5 months ago. It uses a different battery than the earlier models. I bought an extra (Nikon). I sold the D200 because I don't need 3 bodies.

Thanks for the replies on the battery and lens. The camera kit did come with battery, charger, the 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I'm enjoying using it. I can see in the little I've learned and used it that a faster, sharper lens would be desired. Maybe sometime soon.:biggrin: Preston

When you are ready to upgrade your lenses, don't be afraid to buy used from the established photography vendors on the web. I just ordered a Nikon AF 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye for my D500 and D300. It's like new and I paid $435 instead of $772 for a brand new one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom