Nikon USA Repair

cason

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm wondering if any one here can share their experience using Nikon repair services. I have a Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-200G ED VR lens and the vibration reduction function has begun misbehaving. I need to have it repaired, but am curious about others experiences.
Thanks,
Bob

Many years ago I sent them my D70 which developed a problem and not only they fixed the problem but they also changed the card holder. They said many card holders in the D70s had a tendency to develop problems so they changed it as a preventive measure. There was no charge since it was under warranty. I was satisfied.
Many, many years before that, about 30 or 40 years ago (ancient history) I sent them the F2AS I had at the time to change the felts that sealed the backplate, they called me and told me the Photomic Finder (or whatever they called it) needed to recalibrated, I OKd it and was satisfied with the work. They charged me around $100 which was a lot of money at the time but if you want good work you have to pay good money.
But as you can see, those repairs were a long time ago, who knows how they are now.

Last edited:
Odelj48,
Thanks for the info. I sent my lens last week, repair estimate is $175. A nice piece of change, but not nearly the cost of a new lens. I'm hoping I'll be pleased with the repair when I get it back.
I'll post a follow up to let people know.
Bob

Just a follow up to let folks know how things turned out. UPS delivered my lens today just before noon. It looks and functions just like new. I am very well pleased. Cost was right at the $175. estimate, plus shipping & insurance of course.
Bob

I'm a Nikon person myself. Though I have not had any issues yet, it's good to know that Nikon USA offers good service. Given the amount that Nikon charges for bodies, and lenses, etc., they would not be in business very long, if their service was less than stellar...

Glad to hear it worked well for you at a reasonable price. That 18-200 is a very nice all around lens, I know, I have one.

For me it's been my basic "do everything" lens for seven or eight years. I've been very well pleased with it.

I'm wondering if any one here can share their experience using Nikon repair services. I have a Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-200G ED VR lens and the vibration reduction function has begun misbehaving. I need to have it repaired, but am curious about others experiences.
Thanks,
Bob

I've dealt with Nikon service on 4 occasions. I sent them a Coolpix camera, and D200 and D300 bodies. Two of them were under warranty, the other was not and cost me $150. I also sent them a 70-200 mm f/2.8 VR lens under warranty and was pleased with everything they did. All came back like new. Turnaround was about 2 weeks each time. They send an estimate on the out of warranty work and wait for confirmation before doing anything.

I'm ordering a D500 body from B&H today. It's the last day to get a $200 rebate plus a free battery grip, 64G SD card and a backpack. It's a $2,500 deal for $1,800.

As I was moving my car to better light, my brand new D7200 slid off my dashboard and hit my knee just as a caught it. The LCD screen broke. 100% my fault! Doh!
The Nikon service center quoted me a repair price up front, ($275) so I paid and sent the camera off to them. About 2 weeks later I received an E-mail confirming the quote and letting me know the repair was being completed. The camera arrived about 6 days later. The repair was fine, the camera was good as new and the charges were exactly what was quoted. Fair enough! I was pleased.

I used Nikon USA a long time ago when my 995 on/off switch quit working. I was able to hand deliver the camera to their El Segundo facility since I'm in SoCal.
When I got it back it was hard to tell it from a new one as it was cleaned (not that it was that dirty to begin with) and adjusted too. Worked out great as it wasn't all that much to get it repaired. At the time it was my only camera.

I wonder if they still repair the original 35-70 2.8 autofocus lens that has the delamination issue. I've had one since about 1995 and it's basically become unusable over the last three years.

I've been putting off sending it in as I assume it will be $300-wish to repair and would be more likely to just buy a used Tamron 24-70 VC lens.

Last edited:
As I was moving my car to better light, my brand new D7200 slid off my dashboard and hit my knee just as a caught it. The LCD screen broke. 100% my fault! Doh!
The Nikon service center quoted me a repair price up front, ($275) so I paid and sent the camera off to them. About 2 weeks later I received an E-mail confirming the quote and letting me know the repair was being completed. The camera arrived about 6 days later. The repair was fine, the camera was good as new and the charges were exactly what was quoted. Fair enough! I was pleased.

This sounds like a move that Cerebral Palsied me makes and can't often help. As my muscles have a mind of their own, and don't have an off switch. I feel your frustration when a beloved camera and/or lens takes an unplanned bounce. I also feel your pain when this happens. Some empathy when Tish Happens. Thank you for the superb recommendation on the quality of Nikon service. My photography tagline is "The Spastic Image"

That would be worth a phone call to them. I used the El Segundo office a long long time ago. Not even sure if they're still there or not.

Back
Top Bottom