Nikon vs Canon

So I was a Canon person for 40 odd years - all through the film generation. I also shoot 2.25 SQ with Bronica. I guess at one time I had 50 odd pieces including bodies and lenses, flashes and all.

Shot friends Nikons and had issues with each one. The FM3 and EG's would eat batteries. The FE's had small viewfinders, etc. But they had good lenses and made good pictures.

Come the digital age and Canon abandoned their old FD/FL lens mount and made all my stuff obsolete. Pissed me off. Sold it all and moved to Minolta so I had common lenses for both film and digital and never looked back.

Try a Sony Alpha and see how that works for you? They accept all Sony/Minolta A mount glass. Minolta glass has VERY good color saturation. On second thought, don't - you'll just start competing with me for lenses, and prices will go up :(

I shoot Nikon film and digital at work as that is what my bosses buy. Still find annoying quirks with Nikon, but the glass is still good and at least my D2h will accept older manual focus Nikon glass like the microscope adapted lenses and such. So that's nice :)

What really matters to the composition, to the artistic and technical quality of a photo is the glass in front and the person behind the of the camera body.

Enjoy the hobby and see if you can make it into an art.

"dolph"

So lets see some pics.

How about a shot of your bike in the rain? What do you ride? :thmbsp:

What a surprise.

Personally I find it distracting to pull my wiener and type at the same time.

:thmbsp:

You go ahead and pull your wiener while I drive my BMW F800GS, my Ducati 900SS and my Alfa Romeo 159 SW.

And for the photos.........
Your level of comunication would never make me show you my photos.

That's a fair explanation.

"dolph"

You go ahead and pull your wiener while I drive my BMW F800GS, my Ducati 900SS and my Alfa Romeo 159 SW.

And for the photos.........
Your level of comunication would never make me show you my photos.

That's a fair explanation.

"dolph"

since you got nothin'...

Last edited:
I hate pressure like that.
:thumbsdn:

I hate being put in a light of being filled with crap and usually the guy putting one in that light is in fact the person filled with crap.

I will only show a few of my photos from last summer as I don't usually put my photos online.

But now HandyHamlet has to show some photos and they gotta be a lot better than mine just to prove that my Pentax is a bad camera and just to show that he has a camera at all and just to show that he can shoot photos while pulling his wiener.

For the photo size matter, you just go ahead and figure out.
You're so skilled.

strawling-green

index.php

index.php

In-my-kitchen_1245840253.jpg

Facade-in-a-Danish-village_1245272858.jpg

11121-20100114145558.jpg

11121-20100114145030.jpg

11121-20100111172853.jpg

Now let's see what your up to, HandyHamlet.

"dolph"

Last edited:
Nikon D700 is nice. But what do I know? I prefer film. Pinhole is my favorite.

Last edited:
Sorry, finally got a few minutes. Some nice images here. I cleaned them up a bit since you wanted them resized.

Are you sure you won't post a pic of the Beemer or Duc? Lots of bike enthusiasts here.

Cleaned them up?

You changed some of them completely to the worse.

"dolph"

Nikon vs. Canon? NO. Photography classes, or better yet: learn to paint. I am serious. I've owned models from both brands in addition to Leica/Rollei/LF/blahblahboring. Learning to see artistically trumps all that equipment babble. I love equipment as much as the next guy (usually guys, it seems). But it's what gets put up on walls that matters.

Sorry for the blowhard b.s. rant. I see so many people with cameras that look at the cameras and lenses and accessories so obsessively and never make images that are worth a damn.

I think a lot of people would find more satisfaction with pinhole rather than Nikon/Canon/Minolta/Pentax/infinitum.

Oh, I agree. The eye of a good photographer is better than the finest Hasselblad/Leica/Rollei/Canon/Nikon et cetera, no doubt about it. But arguing is so much fun, though! :D :bash:

I like the photos Dolph, which I appreciate regardless of the equipment used. As long as it yields you the results you want, there is no issue (IMO).

I like the photos Dolph, which I appreciate regardless of the equipment used. As long as it yields you the results you want, there is no issue (IMO).

Thank you very much.

It just puzzles me that so many people go around thinking that only Canon or Nikon cameras will do the job??

"dolph"

For the photo size matter, you just go ahead and figure out.
You're so skilled.

None of these 3 images show up, you have to log into the forum to be able to view the images :-(

In-my-kitchen_1245840253.jpg

Interesting shot, nice colours. My only criticism is that you can see some harsh areas of lighting that are slightly distracting, but not overly so. This is critique for the sake of improving ones images, not for stirring. Take it as you will.

Facade-in-a-Danish-village_1245272858.jpg

Intersting, and simple shot, cleverly use White, Green and Red. Composition is a bit awkward, but not bad. I like it.

11121-20100114145558.jpg

Wonderful shot, nice lighting. Perhaps the softening effect has been a bit overdone, it's a tough call to make.

11121-20100114145030.jpg

Sorry, doesn't do anything for me. Bland lighting, and a bit too busy. I can see what you were trying though.

11121-20100111172853.jpg

Interesting lighting, nicely done. My only comment would have been some light via a reflector onto the stamen. Other than that, very very nice.

Dave

Nikon vs. Canon? NO. Photography classes, or better yet: learn to paint. I am serious. I've owned models from both brands in addition to Leica/Rollei/LF/blahblahboring. Learning to see artistically trumps all that equipment babble. I love equipment as much as the next guy (usually guys, it seems). But it's what gets put up on walls that matters.

Sorry for the blowhard b.s. rant. I see so many people with cameras that look at the cameras and lenses and accessories so obsessively and never make images that are worth a damn.

I think a lot of people would find more satisfaction with pinhole rather than Nikon/Canon/Minolta/Pentax/infinitum.

A pinhole camera would have some serious limitations. Try taking shots at a F1 race with a pinhole camera - you won't get very far!

Yes, learning to see artistically helps, but it also depends on what genre of photography you are shooting. Nature photography tends to rely less on creative seeing, than say portraiture etc. The modus operandi of the genre plays a large part in determining how you approach the shot.

One doesn't have to be an artist to be a photographer - it's not a strict necessity. It can be handy, yes, I agree, but it's not a necessity. FYI, I can paint in acrylics, oils, sketch in a variety of media too. I get frustrated with drawing and impatient, so photography is a better medium for me to express my artistic talents (if we can call them that lol).

Dave

Thank you very much.

It just puzzles me that so many people go around thinking that only Canon or Nikon cameras will do the job??

"dolph"

OK. Let's stop for a moment. Firstly, this thread is titled "Canon vs Nikon". The OP expressly asked in his first post, and I'll quote:

.....comparing the two leading brands of DSLRs, I see the pictures of Nikon as if I were watching the Sony, and pictures posted here by Canon Users, the Mitsubishi........all I know is, I saw magic on that Sony....aaand, your opinion on Nikon vs Canon?.....

Then you came into the thread, trashed the names of Nikon & Canon and said that Pentax was the best, a claim that is not substantiated either by sales records, uptake amongst working professionals, or the average amateur for that matter. I listed key areas where the Pentax was inferior to Canon or Nikon cameras but you've yet to address my earlier reply.

If you're going to go into another lion pack's den and roar, then be prepared for the other lions in that pack to pounce on you.

I get your point that in the hands of an experienced, and good photographer, any camera is capable of winning shots. That includes Nikon, Canon, Pentax & Sony. It includes both DSLRs and P&S units too. Knowing what you're doing from a technical point of view, and having a good idea for light, colour, composition really can, and does help. The better cameras offer more features to help capture that image (no pun intended). At a sporting event, having inferior (i.e. slow and inaccurate) AF won't help you get keepers. At a performance event, where flashguns are not allowed, having crappy high ISO performance won't help you get the shot(s). No matter how good a photographer you are. Sometimes, the camera is vital, when added to the photographer's skills, in capturing the image. The camera is a tool, nothing more and nothing less, but like any tool, the better the tool, the better the chance of accomplishing the job @ hand.

Stop treating Canon & Nikon users as 2nd rate users with your comments. No one even criticised Pentax gear and yet you came into the thread and let rip as us Aussies say.

Dave

A collection of some my images from the past year with my Mark IIn. I don't do as much imaging as I used to, since my parent's garden doesn't seem to have a good selection of Insects & Arachnids. I don't usually do sports or portraits, but that doesn't mean that I won't have a crack at it. The usual 'practice makes perfect' springs to mind here.

4421607161_b7283baf1b_o.jpg

Local school, taken around 11pm or so @ night. Both myself, and Nick (a friend of mine) decided to try some night photography for the fun of it. Something like a 2 minute exposure, and we used a flashgun held in our hands to illuminate the cross. Processed in CS2 and using a Nik B/W plugin (which now that the trial has finished, I really miss!).

4417132532_ba4eb4c037_b.jpg

The moon, taken with my Mark IIn @ prime focus on my SkyWatcher Equinox ED100 refractor. My first attempt at this, was stoked with the way that it came out. General reception from far more expeirenced astro imagers was that I nailed it. Pretty chuffed am I!

4422375892_3e747593c0_o.jpg

A young lady from Supanova 2009 Brisbane (anime/sci-fi convention). This is a 100% crop which I took a fancy to.

4417131828_679e4d3340_o.jpg

My normal genre, macro. A resin bee (native Australian bee) caught by a Thomsiidae aka flower spider/crab spider. This is a splice of 2 shots, manually combined in Photoshop CS2 (easier said than done I might add).

4416367703_fb129f88da_o.jpg

Resting Dragonfly. I don't usually shoot them due to a variety of reasons, but it's always nice to get a good shot of a smiling Dragonfly!

4510335861_6a3f8b322d_o.jpg

My friend Meg cosplaying Asuka Langley Soryu from Neon Genesis Evangelion @ SupaNova 2010 Brisbane. One of my favourite shots of Meg, taken at an impromptu moment.

Finally:

4485585625_46a54e67d4_o.jpg

Cuckoo wasp. Pretty things, quite small (this was taken near 2:1).

Dave

Back
Top Bottom