Nikon's Z Series Mirrorless Cameras

I'm not professional photographer, but I am serious when it comes to image quality and performance. Same with audio. Last year I was saving up for the Nikon D850. Then SONY seemingly came out of the blue and blew past Nikon and Canon. Nikon had to make a better foundation to stay competitive. SONY has a good head start. Not sure what Canon is doing. Technology and progress doesn't wait. If you wait long enough, there will always be something better. Wait to long and you'll loose the race.

I researched extensively and then invested quite a bit in SONY and I'm quite pleased. I won't be switching any time soon.

Sony cameras are good, no doubt. Can I ask why you chose them over the D850?

Hmm well I find it hard to believe that they don't now see the advantages of mirrorless. Maybe a while back that was the case.

Nikon does have an adapter to allow use of F mount lenses. Sounds like it works pretty well.

I think it's harder for Canon because they are the market leader. Its always hardest to make major changes when you are out in front like that.

Yeah it's bigger. People are saying that maybe one day we will get a Nikon Z mount camera with an almost MF size sensor. That would be cool.

If you call the last winter Olympics “a while ago” then fine. It was at the Olympics Nikon and Canon learned by getting their asses kicked just how far back they were. Both are trying to catch up.

Btw, I am talking about professional equipment. Most amateurs do not need all the attributes of mirrorless cameras.

If you are happy with the images you make, there is no reason to spend the money to change over.

Of course, most people need more than just a more expensive camera to make better photos.

Sony cameras are good, no doubt. Can I ask why you chose them over the D850?
The reviews had them neck and neck. Give and take on different areas in the specs. I checked actual image comparisons. ISO, overall image sharpness, speed, focus, etc. The SONY was a bit ahead for the things I was most interested in. Also the lens selection and image quality drastically improved the last couple of years with the G Master, G and Zeiss family of lenses.

What swayed me the most was the size. The SONY is nearly 35% smaller and lighter. I shoot fast and often one handed. It fits my style.

The reviews had them neck and neck. Give and take on different areas in the specs. I checked actual image comparisons. ISO, overall image sharpness, speed, focus, etc. The SONY was a bit ahead for the things I was most interested in. Also the lens selection and image quality drastically improved the last couple of years with the G Master, G and Zeiss family of lenses.

What swayed me the most was the size. The SONY is nearly 35% smaller and lighter. I shoot fast and often one handed. It fits my style.

Well I read the reviews as giving the Nikon a slight edge (especially with color rendition) but I'll admit to being a bit of a fanboy. But there's no denying that it's a beast sizewise.

Well I read the reviews as giving the Nikon a slight edge (especially with color rendition) but I'll admit to being a bit of a fanboy. But there's no denying that it's a beast sizewise.
I've been a fan of Nikon for along time. But Sony gave me something tangible to work with and slight edges can be easily erased in post processing. It will be interesting to see what kinds of lenses Nikon will put out and the evolution of mirrorless cameras and photography.

Cheers

I've been a fan of Nikon for along time. But Sony gave me something tangible to work with and slight edges can be easily erased in post processing. It will be interesting to see what kinds of lenses Nikon will put out and the evolution of mirrorless cameras and photography.

Cheers

Yes I am very curious to see how it plays out. I have seen some images from the Z7 that look very promising, and claims of high ISO performance from the Z7 and especially the Z6 that are almost unbelievable.

Yes I am very curious to see how it plays out. I have seen some images from the Z7 that look very promising, and claims of high ISO performance from the Z7 and especially the Z6 that are almost unbelievable.

Sony A7RIII and 16-35mm G Master. ISO goes up to a crazy 102,400. I've seen a couple samples and it doesn't look to bad. I haven't had the need to above ISO 12,800, yet.

ISO 12,800
1/25 sec @ f/2.8
19mm

_CMY0244_Under-Wailuku-Banyan-Tree-sm.jpg

Announcement was last night. Spec sheets don't say anything about IBIS, so I'm guessing it doesn't have it. And all appearances are single card slot, which again isn't mentioned anywere in Canon's spiel. No official prices from the big retailers, but I saw a figure of $2300 body / $3400(!!!) with 24-105. Anyway you can't really say which one is better based on the info we have now, but on paper I would say overall the Nikon system compares pretty well.

Announcement was last night. Spec sheets don't say anything about IBIS, so I'm guessing it doesn't have it. And all appearances are single card slot, which again isn't mentioned anywere in Canon's spiel. No official prices from the big retailers, but I saw a figure of $2300 body / $3400(!!!) with 24-105. Anyway you can't really say which one is better based on the info we have now, but on paper I would say overall the Nikon system compares pretty well.
I think people will gravitate toward the brand they already have at home and get the adapter. I have a Sony that I use with Canon glass, so I was hoping this wouldn't require an adapter. I am going to stick with Sony for now. I am just hoping more third parties start making affordable glass for Sony. Until then, I will probably stick with a metabones adapter and my Canon glass.

I think people will gravitate toward the brand they already have at home and get the adapter. I have a Sony that I use with Canon glass, so I was hoping this wouldn't require an adapter. I am going to stick with Sony for now. I am just hoping more third parties start making affordable glass for Sony. Until then, I will probably stick with a metabones adapter and my Canon glass.

Agree. I think there will be quite a bit less switching to Sony now, assuming the Nikon and Canon cameras aren't dogs. As far as the need for an adapter - if they chose to use the EF mount that would have put them at a long term disadvantage in optics and especially size. They would have to have a big empty space in front of the sensor.

Agree. I think there will be quite a bit less switching to Sony now, assuming the Nikon and Canon cameras aren't dogs. As far as the need for an adapter - if they chose to use the EF mount that would have put them at a long term disadvantage in optics and especially size. They would have to have a big empty space in front of the sensor.
I get that, but it (somewhat) levels the playing field for Sony right now and makes it more of a comparison of features rather than one of convenience to use your current glass without an adapter.

I get that, but it (somewhat) levels the playing field for Sony right now and makes it more of a comparison of features rather than one of convenience to use your current glass without an adapter.

How much of a hassle is the adapter? I suppose I will find out myself once I get my Z6.

How much of a hassle is the adapter? I suppose I will find out myself once I get my Z6.
It is going to be a hassle when you buy one native lens and start wanting to switch to your old lenses. You will have to reattach the adapter and the new lens independently much of the time (assuming you have more than one lens you like to use). If you never buy a native lens, then it isn't much of a hassle, but it adds thickness to the new camera every time you use it.

If I decide to buy a Sony lens, I will probably sell every lens I can other than my 100-400. That way, I will just leave it attached to the 100-400 most of the time. Right now, I am just using the adapter, so it isn't much trouble since I just attach whatever lens I want to use with it every time. It just stays attached to the camera body.

Yeah... Canon, just today, jumped into the foray with a mid-level camera, along with some impressive spec'd lenses. Their high-end won't be out for a couple years according to a guy who was at Australian debut.

It is going to be a hassle when you buy one native lens and start wanting to switch to your old lenses. You will have to reattach the adapter and the new lens independently much of the time (assuming you have more than one lens you like to use). If you never buy a native lens, then it isn't much of a hassle, but it adds thickness to the new camera every time you use it.

If I decide to buy a Sony lens, I will probably sell every lens I can other than my 100-400. That way, I will just leave it attached to the 100-400 most of the time. Right now, I am just using the adapter, so it isn't much trouble since I just attach whatever lens I want to use with it every time. It just stays attached to the camera body.

OK sounds like what I figured. I did order the kit 24-70, so I will be switching lenses between native and adapted. But usually I just use a wide zoom + normal zoom, or normal zoom + tele zoom, so I shouldn't switch adapters too much. And I will be getting the Z mount wide zoom when it comes out.

How does stabilization work on the Sony with Canon adapter? Does it use IBIS or the in lens IS or both?

Yeah... Canon, just today, jumped into the foray with a mid-level camera, along with some impressive spec'd lenses. Their high-end won't be out for a couple years according to a guy who was at Australian debut.

Those lenses are ridiculously expensive. Especially the 50 1.2 - $2300??!! And $3k for the 28-7- 2.0 is a lot of money too, but thats pretty close to what I expected. What I really don't like is that you will always have to use that glass without stabilization since those expensive lenses don't have IS, and the body doesn't have IBIS either. Kinda defeats some of the point of fast glass.

Back
Top Bottom