Nissan gave us a new car rental for 7 months free

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Omegaman, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member Subscriber

I bought my wife a 2007 Nissan Versa brand new. She never had a new car before and I let her take it to the dealer for service

She really likes the little hatchback and takes good care of it

Its 10 years old now has 52k miles now

Nissan called and said her passenger airbag had been recalled but parts will not arrive until spring 2018
    11 people have been killed by the flying shrapnel

So they gave her a 2017 Versa rental car with 10 miles on it.
    She has to go back each month to either check the car or get another one
    We left the old Versa Hatchback with the dealership but we could have brought it home for storage

It has Sirius XM working

No charge

Its called the Takata air bag recall

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Smitty43, stish, Mitkraft and 3 others like this.
  2. c5corvette

c5corvette AK Subscriber Subscriber

Next month she should request a GT-R!

bigx5murf and Hipocrates like this.
  3. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member Subscriber

Once we get back from our 50 state, three country North American tour

Its a Special Edition

Smitty43 and Wildcat like this.
  4. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

bigx5murf and RamblinE like this.
  5. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

I have a 2007 Mustang GT with the same airbag problem . I wonder .......................................

6. Wildcat

Wildcat "Road Song" (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

Honda offered free loaners back when supplies were tight on the inflators, but luckily my last replacement (this past Wednesday) was in stock at the dealer, so less than an hour later, I was back on the road. With the older car, one of the two inflators had to be ordered in before I arrived, but they ended up only replacing one, as the other inflator was not made by Takata.

7. soundboy

soundboy Super Member

Acceptable alternative.....the Nissan Z car.

8. zunde

zunde Member

Or hunt down a 4th generation Maxima, the last ones to be completely built in Japan (I think) and get this kind of reliability :cool: :

maxima.jpg

9. Mitkraft

Mitkraft AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow, that's pretty cool of your dealership! Thanks for letting us know, that's good info.

stish likes this.
  10. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

They probably concluded that their liability would be too great if they gave people back their cars, after they were on notice of the problem, and someone ended up dying. It works out well for you, but it's pretty much their own self-interest motivating it, not generosity. ;)

11. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

One of my friends that's a mechanic helped one of his customers get a brand new car from Honda. Apparently this guy drove into his shop, and his engine promptly seized up. It was determined the car never had an oil change at over 80k miles! Factory oil filter, no tool marks on the drain bolt, and a head full of sludge. The owner of the car actually produced a stack of oil change receipts from his dealer. Guy was out of a car for 6 months, and I'm sure some legal fees, but eventually got a new car. I was just shocked to learn how long a Honda could go without an oil change. While people like to argue, 3k, 5k, 10k oil change intervals.

12. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

bigx5murf is that dealer closed down, it should be.

13. Wildcat

Wildcat "Road Song" (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

The service advisor I deal with at my local dealer says he doesn't understand why people don't take care of their cars. They pay good money for the car, then they'll do something cheap like use off-brand parts, never get the trans fluid change (or change it with the cheapest ATF they can find), etc. We got on the topic because I was telling him how a dumb previous owner put crappy Bosch platinum plugs into our Civic, wherein the ceramic insulator had shattered inside the engine and scored the #2 cylinder wall. (Now I have 145# compression on that cylinder and 210# on the other three. Nice.) I have always used NGK plugs, same part number that came from the car when it left the factory. Never had a problem. I may not always buy genuine factory parts, but some are made by the suppliers (such as the Akebono brake pads I just bought), and others have sufficient high quality that they perform as well as factory parts. The economy stuff and no-name brands are garbage.

Based on the condition of many used cars I looked at over the past few months, it's like an epidemic. Cars are filthy inside. The outside has never been cared for. The engine bay is also crudded up. Oil leaks hidden under layers of dirt. Running lousy because they were never taken care of. Most cars can have a nice, long trouble-free life if they are taken care of properly. I saw newer cars than ours that were trashed. Quite a shame, really.