Nissan gave us a new car rental for 7 months free

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Omegaman, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

One would think the owner would be under the obligation to check the oil & so would notice the lack of changes! Like hey this oil is filthy after an oil & filter change!

stish likes this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

No doubt. I have read of dealers like this, in fact. Everything from ineptitude (throw parts at a problem until it goes away), to being cheap and not doing work that is paid for. The reputation tends to follow them, though, and they get bad reviews. The golden opportunity for them is an owner who walks in and says they know nothing about cars. May as well have a "kick me" sign on their back. :D

A good dealer, like the one near my house, gives a multi-point safety check any time the car is brought in, and only suggests a maintenance item might be needed. They don't press the issue. Same at the tire shop I use. ("Those rear brake pads are just about worn out. You might want to take a look at them as soon as you can.") My neighbor is also service manager at a shop not too far away, and has been a mechanic since the mid 70s (ASE certified). We've sent a few acquaintances his way, and the correct work is always done for a very good price.

So yeah, there are both good and bad dealers and repair shops out there.

My buddy used to wrench for a gas station back in the 80s. That owner was a dishonest SOB. I could tell stories... ;)

Other than a goodwill gesture, I would think it is not Honda's responsibility to replace a vehicle that a dealer might have neglected through fraudulent service records.

My drain bolts do not have tool marks after all these years, and the "factory oil filter" you can buy as a replacement at any Honda dealer--they are about average price, and they are the same filters the cars are assembled with. But, the sludge is definitely an indicator something was wrong there, somewhere. And I totally believe there are people out there who ignore their maintenance minders and never get maintenance done until something goes wrong.

3. Luckyorleans

Luckyorleans AK Subscriber Subscriber

It is unfortunate but getting more standard that that the front of shop "service advisors" at dealerships are partially paid on a commission basis. Like everything some are good and some are not, and it does not follow the car brand but reflect the dealership management.

4. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

I agree that it seems quite unlikely that they never performed an oil change. But if he did in fact have records to show that it was done regularly according to recommended maintenance schedule (at their authorized dealer) IMHO at 80K Honda did owe him an engine. There is no reason that a motor should be sludged up like that if maintained properly. At the very least the dealership should have noticed the issue. I know that Toyota had an engine sludging problem in their sixes in the late 90s early 2000's. From what I read they had made changes to the motor and the oil passages were not large enough. Seems some folks were able to get engines replaced by Toyota others weren't as fortunate...

Wildcat likes this.
  5. Wildcat

I think the issue as described was that this was dealer fraud--charging for maintenance they possibly never did. (And therefore, the same dealer would not have noticed the issue since they never bothered to look.) It certainly could have been a rare defective engine--anything can happen!

The way engines use oil, you'd think the oil would have run out well before 80,000 miles. Although my K-series 2.4L has barely used any oil between changes (at ~10,000 miles).

6. kfalls

kfalls Well-Known Member

While speaking to the representative, she asked where it had happened and was able to bring the area up on google street view. The street I was on was within a college area under an overpass where the streets where short and curvy (no room to be moving very fast). I explained that when I pressed on the brakes, instead of getting the slow pulsing you normally get allowing you to turn in the snow, the brakes were fast pulsing and didn't allow a turn. Instead of going around the curve the wheels slid squarely into the curb. It wasn't bad driving. These are blind curves in a college dorm area, so I'm always cautious navigating them. You never know who might be driving, walking or biking on the road. It's easy for you to assume bad driving. You must be a service guy, or a guilty until proven innocent kinda guy. Possibly Nissan took into account I've never had an accident or ticket after driving 45yrs. I suppose I'm lucky the representative had the insight to ask questions and look at the accident location. Or it's not an isolated issue and the braking system has a known defect.

7. w1jim

w1jim I can fix it but good... Subscriber

Likely they simply topped off the oil when the owner came in for an oil change.

8. Wildcat

It's possible. Certainly nothing new. ;) At a garage my buddy worked at, they would charge for a coolant flush. All they would do is top up the radiator and overflow tank, then splash a little anti-freeze around the top of the engine and radiator. Their "emissions tune-up" ($69, per state law) to get it to pass the emissions inspection was nothing more than them hooking the car up to the analyzer, then disconnecting vacuum hoses until they could get it to pass the test. Pretty crazy stuff they got away with back in those days! (That was the 80s, when cars were simpler.)

9. zunde

zunde Active Member

Yes- I'm more curious as to the dealership's reason for not checking the ABS as soon as you came in and told them it was not functioning properly. As I said they are compensated for labor and parts (if needed) by Nissan so no reason not to. Yet you are saying they blew you off.

I'm not a dealer service guy- I've had plenty of run-ins with them myself. I simply think there's more to the story. NO dealership would not check this--it's a safety feature for crying out loud!!

10. kfalls

kfalls Well-Known Member

The repair cost my insurance company over $3000 and there was no body damage. There may have been an ABS repair/adjustment, but I didn't see it listed.