No debates: what speaker wires, cables or interconnects do you prefer and use?

Regular Guy.

Speakers: #12 AWG. Cheap. From Lowes. :thmbsp:

Interconnects: Radio Shack gold-plated RCAs.

Power: Woods TrueProtection.

Speaker wire is just that standard Dayton Audio 14 AWG speaker wire. nothing fancy. I reworked my crossovers in my speakers.... now with the same 14 AWG speaker wire. CD player is connected with standard audio cables that came with our Dish box for the tv. I use a overly long Belkin cable to connect the tv to my Yamaha. Works fine for me.

Most of these are in use, in rotation, or on-deck.

Speaker wire
1. MSERIES ®. MCX-2S. High Performance Time Correct ® Speaker Cable with Solid Core Conductor. Magnetic Flux Tube ® and PEX™ Dielectric. by MONSTER CABLE ®. E 194702 (UL) CL3 75 °C CSA AWM LL91475 FT4, 15 ft, 2 ea.

2. megacable ®. PURE COPPER. FLAT SPEAKER CABLE 14 AWG | RadioShack 278-1273A, 25 ft, 2 ea.

3. megacable ®. ROPE STRAND. PURE COPPER. SPEAKER CABLE. 16 AWG | RadioShack 278-1270, various lengths.

4. 16 AWG brown zip cord, 15 ft, 2 ea.

5. ad hoc 24-16 AWG wire OEM with BPC.

Interconnects
1. MONSTER STANDARD ®. THX i100. THX ® Certified Shielded Audio Interconnect with Dual Balanced Conductor and Duraflex ® Protective Jacket. by MONSTER CABLE ®. Signal Flow >>>, 4 ft, 2 ea.

2. Monster Standard A/V Kit. Interlink ® 100 Audio Cable. Standard Video SV1, 1.5 m.

3. ad hoc RCA stereo interconnects, OEM & cheap RadioShack.

4. AUDIO Y-CABLE, 3.5 mm Stereo Right-Angle Male to Dual RCA (Phono) Male, 6 ft, gold-plated, RadioShack 42-492, 2 ea.

5. AUDIO Y-CABLE, 3.5 mm Stereo Straight Male to Dual RCA (Phono) Male, 6 ft, gold-plated, RadioShack 42-495, 1 ea.

Antenna, connectors, and RF cable
1. Folded Dipole FM Antenna, 60.5”, 74” 300 ohm twin lead, spade terminals, RadioShack 42-2385; with Matching Transformer, 300 ohm screw terminals to 75 ohm F-Connector male push-on, RadioShack 15-1253. 2 ea.

2. OEM AM loop antenna, 6 turn, 22 AWG, bare wire leads, from Yamaha RX-797 & RX-777.

3. Rabbit ears, 300 ohm twin lead.

4. F-Connector female to BNC male, RadioShack 278-251; BNC female to Motorola male, RadioShack 278-160.

5. Dipole Antenna, 66.25”, 51” ? ohm twin lead, spade terminals, generic PAT.P MOGAMI M10 JAPAN.

6. OEM FM antenna 56”, 24 AWG monopole, F-Connector male push-on, from Yamaha RX-797 & RX-777.

Speaker: LAT 2000 bi-wire
Interconnects: Ultralink Discovery
Digital coax: Audioquest VDM-1
USB: Audioquest Forest
Power: Shunyata Venom 3; JPS Labs Digital AC

I bought a pair of 8 foot Legend Audio Bi-Wire cables from the guy on that auction website. 11 AWG, banana plugs at amp end, tinned on speaker end. Seem quite decent.

Interconnects from the hardware store, two conductor extension cord running to speakers. Ooh. La. La.
:yes::yes::yes:

Last edited:
I use speaker wires from Kimber
XLR from Monoprice and M.I.T.
RCA from Kimber Tara Labs, Audioquest, and some smaller boutique cables sent to me for review years ago, some companies folded so I'll hold names private.
Power cables are Audioquest and TeckLine.
I have boxes of cables from others...esoteric cables to Monster to RadioShack... I slowly give them away as folks need them.

I have motley collection... err... library of interconnects including some Rat Shack Monster, and BJC. Of these the ones I *prefer* are Surf Cables PRO-1 and Linn Black. It's all relative I guess, but to me they are both pretty affordable.

I've tried a bunch of different stuff for speaker cable - most recently Canare 4S11 which has been my favorite. I definitely noticed a reduction in background noise compared to other cables in the same environment (it's star quad), and it was very easy to work with.

I have a Schiit (Straight Wire) USB cable coming with my DAC which I'm hoping will be a small improvement over the molded cables I have kicking around.

I've gone thru several iterations of speaker cabling with different speakers(Kimber 4PR, Audioquest CV-4s and Rockefellers 48dbs) - all with different results.

Currently I'm getting good synergy using MIT Shotgun S2 speaker cables between my Musical Fidelity A5 int amp and B&W CDM1NT bookshelves.

Back
Top Bottom