No headphone forum?

SWMBO dragged her dragging butt off to bed and told me to turn down the stereo....

So, instead, I turned off the amps and I turned on the Antique Sound Labs OTL MkIII headphone amp, connected up a long headphone extension cord I made from Canare cable and some Neutrik parts, plugged in the SR-80's and now I'm sitting at the dining room table listening to a Meadowlark LP from Douglas Trowbridge, "Songs Unspoken" being spun on my LP-12 w/DL-103S and my AI as phono stage while cruising the information superhighway...

That's why I have headphones....

I do not prefer them....but the MG Head OTL MkIII makes stuff sound wonderful, but I still prefer the sound from speakers where the soundstage is somewhere else besides between my ears....

YES PLEASE. My dad has some wonderful headphones from his 8-track system - I forget what they are - but I'd love to know more about them and to talk about the general headphone market today.

BTW, so far nobody has said no. :D :D :D

You can count a yes from me! I've been prowling the old threads for info for awhile now. One nice home for the cans would be great!

Personally, I disagree. However, a new forum should be added via vBulletin, because I can assume a large group wants the forum, but this is a saga topic that is not going to end for a while.

Also, I would have much to share if a headphones forum exists. My headphones are enclosed in ear protection earmuffs.

Considering I do all my critical listening via "cans" I'm in.

3813877496_5a800af7ca.jpg

All For It!!!!!!!!!!

Put me down as a Headphone supporter...........I have a little collection of vintage cans myself................:banana::banana::banana: The Banana Can- Can!...............:music:willhowl

OK, my reason for not wanting to see 'earbuds' in the proposed new Headphone forum is because of their devotion to convenience rather than high fidelity.

There are some very good ear canal types out there which may be described as 'audiophile quality' some even have the added benefit of being tuned for your ears only.

I just think the combination of ultra convenience sized source +ear canal phones are not the stuff of high fidelity heaven. Would you listen to your main rig using ear canal phones?

Just my 3 ha'pence worth.

Oh and BTW epifanatic - took that pic myself on the foredeck of the Wisconsin laid up in Norfolk, Va.

OK, my reason for not wanting to see 'earbuds' in the proposed new Headphone forum is because of their devotion to convenience rather than high fidelity.

What's wrong with convenience and low-fidelity? I thought the motto of this joint was "All Audio..." which I interpreted to mean both "all about" audio- and "all forms" of audio.

Seems to me, with all due respect- that omitting any 1 technology or approach due to some subjective measure of "quality" is very much in conflict with the other 1/2 of the motto "...no attitude"

I'd submit that Earbuds have their time and place- I'd rather listen to earbuds while say, deep-sea fishing than nothing at all. So a discussion of good earbuds, that I don't mind getting fish guts all over, might be just the ticket :)

Another example might be my decidedly crunchy low-fi analog Moog synthesizer that by all "hi fi" standards sounds like crap- but to my ears, and for my purpose is magnificent.

But to the point- I can't imagine a reason not to have a headphone thread- for my money you get more bang for the buck with headphones than any other component.

So "yes"

There are good earbuds out there. Along with good in ear canalphones. Earbud wise there isn't really much of a middle ground. You have cheap 4 dollar to 20 dollar ones. Then you have the Yuin pk series earbuds. Which I have heard quite a bit of respectable buzz about.

I spend quite a bit of time doing chores around the house and yard with my IPOD and Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones. These phones will block out the sound of a leaf blower, lawn mower, power washer, excreta, and you don't have to have the music cranked to hear it, I absolutely love em. Good tunes makes the work so much easier.

Inside I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's with a Musical Fidelity X-Can Amp and my IMAC as a source. I can listen while the wife sleeps in!

I think a phones forum is a great idea.

There are good earbuds out there. Along with good in ear canalphones. Earbud wise there isn't really much of a middle ground. You have cheap 4 dollar to 20 dollar ones. Then you have the Yuin pk series earbuds. Which I have heard quite a bit of respectable buzz about.

Yes, Yuin PK series - which I learned about here - are a night and day difference from cheap earbuds. Earbuds certainly have every right to be discussed in an AK forum.

I would enjoy an "On ear, Over ear, In ear" CAN forum with the Audiokarma spirit.

In the words of Allen Toussaint and the Pointer Sisters:

I know darn well we CAN work it out.
Oh yes we CAN, I know we CAN CAN
Yes we CAN CAN, why CAN't we?
If we wanna get together we can work it out. :music:

Back
Top Bottom