No headphone forum?

I would hate to see the site get too fragmented with too many separate posting areas but….
Yea, I think I would really like to see a separate headphone section.
If it goes well we can keep it. If after the initial excitement wears off and it does not get much traffic (which I doubt) it can always be cancelled.

Precisely what I've been thinking, it's at least worth a try, so why not go into with a "*shrug* could be fun" attitude.

I've been a member of Head-Fi for a while, but never posted there, and as Jim M said, the signal to noise ratio is way too high...not really enough "meaty" discussions and folks who have never had a decent hi-fi setup with anything but headphones are hard for me to relate to since listening with cans is only an adjunct to the way I listen, not the primary focus....

That seems to skew the opinions there too much for my taste....

But, I did learn a lot there, I just didn't feel part of "that" scene....

But they are portable speakers. So that contradicts the fact headphones are speakers with casings, as both structures are.

Dude you micro analyze it WAY too much....they are headphones.....should we call a telephone speakers too as there is one in the hand set of a telephone?
:smoke:

I would be glad to have a headphones forum at AK. Living in an apartment with two young kids means I use them a ton!

The reason I wound up here was because I was looking for a good vintage amp to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD600s I bought for myself last Christmas. I tried HeadFi first; in my opinion, its not an Audiokarma kind of place. The folks there are knowledgeable and happy to make recommendations to you, but I guess I'm old school - and cheap - to the extent that I can't see myself having some of the layouts they do for their cans. It just struck me as a place that wealthier headphone aficionados would just as soon keep somewhat exclusive to themselves.

Being someone who uses headphones for his music listening at home exclusively, I would certainly love to see a headphone area here. Besides my HD600s I have Beyerdynamics DT-770s, Sennheiser HD570s and a smaller pair of Sennheisers for gym use. I've also picked up Denons and Sennheisers for my son. Lord only knows what other models I've owned over the years, Sony, Yamaha, Technics, AKG, Pioneer...

Last edited:
count me in on wanting a headphone section... just no threads on how to make a $30 amp that fits in an Altoids tin :)

Headphones are great! Just assembled a nice rig over the past two weeks. Can't run my SB 3 & Rega P5>Conrad Johnson EF1>CJ PV12>CJ MV60 >B&W CDM7SE & Rel Storm III rig while the wife & son are asleep :)

I think a headphone forum would be a great idea! I've read tons of information about speakers, amps, and turntables, but I still have no clue about any good vintage headphones (except for a few models). I think it would be nice to see threads on vintage or new headphones, how to tweak them if possible, models to look for, models to run away from, etc. Head-fi is a great resource, but it seems the majority of members there have spent more on their headphone amp alone than I have on my entire system. It would be nice to see what older headphones people find on the cheap and like. :D

Back
Top Bottom