NO LOVE- speaker forum Yamaha speakers

Note the difference between ns-10T and ns-10m. The T series is a different animal. The 10m has a reputation for being harsh in the high end.
I was stating that so that no one would think the T had the reputation for harshness as the M does. Plus the contention that the M is a totally crappy speaker may need to be qualified somewhat. The harshness was sort of dampened by tissue paper in a famous instance. I was just telling the OP so if he ever found a pair of 10Ts he should pick them up. I only paid $20 for my 10Ts.

Last edited:

Thank you for posting that article, it was a very interesting read; although heavy on the technical, which for me was over my pay grade.;)
What I really seemed to learn is that like everything else here at AK and life in general, is that personal preference and subjectivity rule the day. At least there were scientific reasons for why the ns-10m sounds and performs the way it does. Whether some love it or hate it just depends on their particular use and taste (though the ns-10 did go through some variation over time which may reflect how some listeners perceive its sound)
Myself, I have no real opinion of the ns-10 sound as I've not heard music from a pair since about 1982. Much too far back for me to remember accurately.:rolleyes:

I'm going to pop in here and see if this thread is still alive. I have been researching the Yamaha NS-6490 speakers, and I have been reading the owners reviews in Amazon and other outlets.
What is interesting to me is that this model is acoustic suspension with an 8" woofer. My AR4x speakers sounded great with an 8" acoustic suspension woofer so I was curious how these sounded. Reading the reviews of
people who sounded knowledgable the Yamahas got very nice marks averaging 4.5 out of 5 points. They are not small speakers, measuring 10.5 inches wide by 16.25 inches high and 13.25 inches deep, They are actually larger than my KEF Q300 speakers which are 8.3 inches wide by 14 inches high and 11.9 inches deep. That is getting into big boy territory.
They are certainly smaller than the older AR4x or Dynaco A25 speakers. Rated at 8 ohms impedance and 90 Db efficiency they would present an easy load to just about any amplifier or receiver.
I think they would mate perfectly with my Yamaha R-S201 receiver or my A-S500 amplifier. The specs say they go down to 45 Hz which I think is decent for most music.
One user reported his speakers developed a "Rattle" and I suspect he was overdriving them trying to get a bomb blast in a movie, I think if that is what floats your boat a subwoofer should be used.

My sense, from reading the reviews, is that I feel they could be more forward sounding than the AR4x speakers and not as bright as Klipsch speakers, but that is only my guess.

I might have purchased them in the future just so I could hear what they really sound like and a majority of sellers has them for $129 a pair with free shipping. Unfortunately those dimensions are a real problem for me at this time so I am going to pass on them. I am hoping that any AKer who does get them will give us a full report on them.

OK, back to bed!:bye:

Last edited:
If you're looking for something compact with great sound then check these out:

Soavo 900M. They sound great and they're nice to look at and very solidly built. They are currently bringing up the rear of my surround setup (full Soavo set minus the sub) but I've tried them in two channel and it's rather nice. I have the NS-F901 towers as well and would say any piece of the Soavo series is of superb quality. I've heard the NS-5000's but wasn't that blown away by them.

I wanted to get in on the Soavo line when it was released, but its like they all disappeared. Would really like to listen to a pair of soavo 1.

One day...

I wanted to get in on the Soavo line when it was released, but its like they all disappeared. Would really like to listen to a pair of soavo 1.

One day...

Hifishark is a good way to find the original series and the more recent 901/piano black series is widely available though the ivory white looks pretty stunning (europe only). The Soavo 1 tower has a smooth and relaxed mid-range with a touch of midbass hump. The newer ns-f901 tower has a forward mid-range but deeper and more controlled bass. Both have great detail and nice highs that are better than most reviewers have described. If you could marry the two by adjusting the crossover you would have a near perfect speaker. Both pair quite well with vintage Yamaha gear.

I'm not surprised. Back in 81' or 82' I was in a recording studio and they had a set of NS-10's on the console. I asked about them as they were unfamiliar and assumed they were really good. The engineer said they used them because they weren't good at all, but they were a representation of the crappy speakers most people listened to. He said if you could get the mix to sound good on those then the music would sound good on most systems. The studio used to put a tissue over the tweeter to tone it down a bit.

This is the same as we did when making a mix for TV broadcast. We had a super shitty TV speaker and if the mix didn't sound good on that, it was back to the drawing board.

By the way Zreviews on You Tube runs the yamaha speakers and has a very interesting time with them!

Strange folks out there. Some paint over iconic speakers and others shoot up small churches in Texas...

My guess is he bought them for $100 from the guy that painted them that color, because he knew what they were, and now wants full value to offset the pain and suffering because his wife actually liked them in that Pepto-Bismol coloring. Admit it. If you see a pair of NS-1000 in good shape for cheap, you'll buy them no matter how pink or purple they are. A professional re-finish would make those look great and you'd still be ahead. Assuming they were $100 of course.

Saw these a while back:
ns-1000m-5-3l.jpg

Even the blue one... when seen up close is a work of art. Not my cup of tea, but still impressive. That's the kind of finish that's worth a couple grand and more. That's a lot of man hours spent sanding and shooting who knows how many coats of clear.

Back
Top Bottom