No more lurkin' in the Queen City

owens_river

a bit off-axis
Hey! I'm new to this place and wanted to introduce myself. The knowledge base here has been such a vast resource to me these past months but really it's the spirit of the community– so generous and collaborative– that keeps me coming back. That and I've started texting those closest to me in AK-speak (":yes:"/":thmbsp:"/":scratch2:"). It's time to jump in!

I'm from N. California originally but live and teach in Cincinnati now. Grew up listening to my dad's AR's and L100's. Lotta jazz. Late night KCSM and his stories of the Blackhawk in San Fran. I listen to most everything. Small Totem Mites are gettin' the job done in my small space these days, but JBL 4406s were the main boxes for some time. I kinda miss 'em actually now that I write that.

Anyway– so good to finally be here and to meet you all.

N

Welcome. Just formally introduced myself here as well. And also from N California. I was looking for monitors for recording at a guitar center in San Jose in the late 80's and there were those JBL 4406, 4408, and 4410 on display..
Those 3 way 10's were what I wanted, but I couldn't afford them nor did I have the space. I still have the 4408s ended up with, re-foamed. If I place them just right I can almost will the remaining bass into existence. ha.
See you on the boards.
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks, man. Ha! and yup. I could kinda snuggle the 4406's near crooks where the defunct chimneys running through the building have been plastered over. I can eke out a bit more bass-somethin' but it was... modest? They have a strange magic with live recordings tho. Not sure if you found the same to be true of the 4408.

Subwoofer time! Be careful where you put it, though, I think mine cracked the window nearest it.:eek: welcome, browse & learn!:bigok:

Back
Top Bottom