No one wants big speakers anymore

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Jayrosc, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jayrosc

Jayrosc Super Member

I've been a collector for the past several years, which means I've done my fair share of selling as well as buying. At this point I've come to the conclusion that many that want a pair of nice, retro looking speakers are mostly interested in a small pair, and by that I mean like the size of a set of AR4's. I acquire such items, fix them up, and off they go. In the meantime the bigger speakers I work with seem to sit and sit. Have we hit the point of diminishing returns when it comes to old school speakers? I mean, if I can't give away a pair of KLH Model 5's whats the point?

Dave1384 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the large 4-way JBL studio monitors.

3. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

KLH 5s really aren't a hot commodity in the vintage speaker world.

asilker and biscuithead like this.
  4. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Really? Cool. Point me at the Wilson Audio speakers being thrown away and I will sacrifice myself by picking them up and putting them in my living room. Heck, I'll rent a climate controlled warehouse just to stockpile them. What? No one wants to give them up? :)

stish, Todd Dodds, asilker and 9 others like this.
  5. CoogarXR

CoogarXR Super Member

Yeah, the bigger speakers are harder to sell (both in finding a buyer, and logistics). But there are buyers out there. I'm one of them...

6. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Some of the good speakers just don't have the value of some that just aren't as good. The DQ-10 can be had cheap, or not, interesting issue with this one. The Time Windows sell cheap, too, sometimes less than a pair of advents. I know which I would want but more people have heard of the Advents. Big speakers can be had cheap at times. They just don't fit and some in the household won't allow them.

7. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

Let me know what you've got that is big.

8. PAGS

PAGS AK Subscriber Subscriber

Tekton Design makes some pretty big-ass speakers, and they seem to be pretty popular. Check out these bad boys:

[​IMG]

stish and asilker like this.
  9. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    winters860, Treyfus84, stish and 5 others like this.
  10. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

This guy still appreciates big speakers.

cnolanh, Marine0811 and MarZutra like this.
  11. muscmp

muscmp Active Member

i think it is shipping problems as well as a space problem. you HAVE to have the room for them. plus, other than this site, how many people listen to music on earbuds or the iphone itself?

play music!

zebra03 likes this.

12. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

I came to like chinless direct radiators with tragic domes. Modern ones though.

F4E2BE68-9BF0-4ECF-A386-58A329BA4F5A.jpeg

Bahamayellow, stish, bhunter and 2 others like this.
  13. tarior

Monitor Audio?

14. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

If I were single........ah...the speakers....the giant speakers............

15. tarior

I hung my JBL 240ti on the wall.:D Freed up a fair bit of floor.

Bahamayellow likes this.
  16. MuchoReverbo

MuchoReverbo New Member

I think it's great that people nowadays seem to want smaller speakers.

It makes the awesome vintage big ones less expensive for me to buy!

Nemo bit, gdmoore28, Bodyblue and 4 others like this.

17. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

On average there seems to be about one collector about every 20 square miles. Limited oportunity to find buyers when shipping is issue.

18. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

A lot fo times it's because proprietary parts make it very difficult or impossible to restore/repair them. Big or small, that makes selling vintage or even modern more difficult.

stish and Bill Ferris like this.
  19. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

WAF. Since this became a " thing" big speakers has taken a hit. I know my L200's have a rather tenuous grip here to my house!

Dave B. likes this.
  20. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

This topic has been hashed and discussed since the introduction of the AR-3 if not before hand. But as then as it today small speakers are dynamically challenged and require vast sums of power. Roger Russel attended concerts and found that at an average level, equivalent to Row 10as I remember, Concert level was 104 or 105 db. Paul Klipsch who took similar measurements but closer to the first row said concert level was 115 db. Its been proven with many measurements that most listeners re quire their systems to only produce 85 db with a 6 db margin and professional musicians, audio engineers , producers listen some where around 90 db average with higher peak ratios. When CD's came along signal to noise was increased between 35 and 50 db and dynamic range could be very high or throttled to raise the average ,modulation levels. Ever notice labels like Telarc, Reference Recordings , Sheffield reissues that the average record level is almost 10db lower than pop CD's to allow additional head room for peaks. . So to produce 96 db in the home with an additional 10 db loss do to the distance between the speaker and listener th system needs to produce 106 db. Average speakers of today efficiency is some where between 87 and 90 db from smaller speakers at 1 watt. So to reach 106 db you need amplifiers between 50 and 100 watts. No big deal. But lets say you like to listen to classical music and hear a 104 db peak once in a while. Meaning your speakers have to produce 114 db. and you will require some where between 400 to 900watts. How many small speakers can do that, ZIP, Zero. And who can afford the amps. If you have larger more efficient speakers, Klipsch Cornwall, Forte III etc all you need is around 30 watts a very reach able goal. Now heaven for bit you want to reach Paul Klipsch levels you would hear at the front row of a concert. Only his pair of La Scala or Klipsch horns can provide the levels. Even Tannoys large Westminster would find itself coming up short. JBL DD67000 could do it with 300 watts to each speaker. Fortunately most folks only need 50 to 100watts. But you can't call that enough to be a faithful true HFi system. With todays digital systems capabilities its a shame folks want to listen at such low levels. We might as well return to LP's with their limited dynamic and spectral range. But then folks have already discovered that haven't they. So lets all move back to the 60's. When all the world needed was a great 10 watt amplifier and a pair of Klipschhorns, JBL Harkness, Altec Valencia, EV Georgian, 30 watts for Boak concert Grands or 400 watts per channel for 3 AR-3 per side.