No one wants big speakers anymore

I really still admire many of the big speaks but my old guy in 50’s rule for me is that if I can’t pick them up and carry or move them, I don’t want them.

I can just barely do that with my
NS 1000’s and that’s it, I’m very happy with them and would gladly get another set.
What really matters is that my wife can't move them! My favorite two pairs of speakers weigh as much as she does per speaker, so they aren't going anywhere.

Fortunately most folks only need 50 to 100watts. But you can't call that enough to be a faithful true HFi system.

It appears that you value dynamic contrasts much more than I do.

I have no interest in reproducing the volume levels that a 90 piece orchestra or a Dixieland band are capable of, in my living room. Hell, a single violin played loudly in my living room (about 20 x 20 ft) overloads the room.

I value correct tonal quality above all else. Everybody has different priorities.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in some applications, smaller speakers kinda dominate over bigger ones with the exception of the LFE channel.

I agree with OP that the big speaker market is tough. But I think there will always be a market.
Over Christmas, I had a houseful of grandkids ranging from 2-14 years old. We all went downstairs and ran through the collection, and I noticed that playing smaller speakers didn't really grab their attention, but when we switched to big 'uns, suddenly I had a roomful of boogie & boppers. They were drawn right up to the speakers, which in some cases were twice as high as the kids. I think they'll never forget the overwhelming sensation of the big Khorns, Concert Grands and Altec 19's, and when they finally get their first digs, they will want to go big.

I don't think ''big'' is necessarily the problem,I believe ''shape'' is the biggest obstacle for most listening rooms.We'll have to leave the planars and e-stats out of this equation though,as their shape is dictated by design constraints.

Have you ever noticed that most speakers of the vintage variety (especially those of the full-bottom,concert level persuasion) are really kinda wide and deep? I don't know how big rooms were in that era,but man,you needed some serious real estate to fit most of those puppies in.

Now,if you compare (for the most part) modern speaker shapes,most are of the tall,narrow-across-the-front format,although some can get fairly deep.These are much easier to accommodate,and tucking them away unobtrusively is possible even in smaller listening rooms. Up goes the WAF,for those who are affected by such things:)

When I was young,I went through my period of old-school speaker silliness. Altec A7's, JBL 4560's with EV horns,Realistic Mach One's.I once even auditioned a pair of Electro-Voice Eliminator 1's for about a week before I came to my senses:confused:

Now,I have completely abandoned any interest in the old big-cabinet jobs,and am quite content with the modern tall-skinnies.I find that while they are not as efficient,they can do better and deeper bass and easily meet or exceed the output capabilities of the the refrigerators of yesterday.

Looking and listening to all the big speakers in my room, it occurs to me that if I had it all to do over again, I'd get some big speakers. Or bigger ones.
I especially like Bozak Concert Grands because they weigh about 225 lbs, and don't blow over if a breeze comes through the window, and it's fun to watch my 110 lb. wife try to move them to vacuum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom