No Respect! The Kenwood KA-7300

HWF1 said:
EW whats so different about Kenwoods that make them sound so open?
Nothing fancy in the design...basic, simple, proven circuitry from input to output. Straightforward signal flow path.

I think EW just wanted props for his handy work. I'm afraid if his KA-7300 gets any more RESPECT, EW will not sell it. FWIW, EW, I'll accept your price quotes for the 7300.

Well, even though I did not start this thread to hype something I wanted to sell (I was asked for a new nudies and my opinion of the unit, since they seem to be rarely discussed), it will be sold. I didn't expect so many people asking about it... I have given SPL db first shot at it, since I still have his dead KR-9600 here and also because he asked first. If he passes on the deal, I'll start a 'FS' thread in the classifieds, and we'll go from there.

Last edited:
Glenn did my 7300 and I just cannot tell you guys how good it sounds. The music has texture and depth I have not heard. I am a new audiophile and I can tell you that I am hearing things I did not. THe thing sounds FREAKING AWESOME and I am driving some very pedestrian vintage Sony 160w max thrift shop speakers. Glenn is a magician and yes....I am dude who blew the first one up.......
They call me the tinkerer.....LOL

Last edited:
The preamp is a sleeper.

There's a fellow who is registered here called 'Toronto Ken' who praises the preamp section of the 7300 to the skies.He can't say enough good things about it. :yes:

Yup the preamp is one of the best I have used. I am using mine as a preamp only. I ran my ka 7300 and kt7300 tuner in my shop for two years. After repairing my Carver tfm a few weeks ago for shop use I brought in the ka 7300 for preamp use only to run my Carver pm 900.The 7300 and the Carver match up well.I had a borrowed Crown ic 150-a pushing the Carver before and it doesn't compare to the Kenwood ka 7300. This is the forth preamp I have used on this Carver and it sounds the best of them all. Here is a picture of the present setup.I also have my seldom seen Teak A-430 three head cassette deck rebuild and up and running.It is every bit as good as my Nak CR-2.

Well, I'm the guilty party who bought EchoWars KA-7300.

And, as I'm sure has been said before, he's a great guy to deal with. And he's done great work on this unit.

It's as beautiful in person as in the pics and even though the new caps are still burning in, it sounds every bit as good as I had expected and hoped.

Now, all I have to do is whip up some custom stained side panels and it'll be perfect.

Very pleased I got lucky and found this amp. Hmm... I wonder how much it would cost to recap and update my Sony 6800SD? :music:

Very nice, EW! :thmbsp: I found a KA-8300, with the TA-100W amp chips, & power meters, non-working, for $10 a couple days ago. It's not as minty as yours, & no rack handles, but I think I'll be happy with it. ;) I've found the problem, at least one leaky cap on the main board, and I should have her running soon. :smoke: Anyone know where I can find a pair of good Chemi-con caps, 35v@100uf? I have all the others. Thanx.

mzeitlin3348 said:
Glenn,

Are you familiar with the Kenwood KA-907? (in comparison to your 7300).
I know of the unit, and it is supposed to be a kick-butt piece of gear. I've never worked on one, or even heard one.

Great post EW. She looks like the twin of the 7300 you did for me a couple years ago, bias servos included. :D Great sounding unit and such a pretty face. :music: And PLEASE keep posting photos of the equipment you're updating. We all love to see it! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
There's a fellow who is registered here called 'Toronto Ken' who praises the preamp section of the 7300 to the skies.He can't say enough good things about it. :yes:
Yes....this is one super SWEET unit. I have been absent from this board for a while..but now back on here. I currently own three of these babies!! One is for parts only though.
Try changing the power cord to a Belden. This unit becomes even quieter and cleaner and gets even more spacious. I mentioned that the star component of this unit is the pre-amp. Run it with Kimber Kable PBJ interconnects to some hitachi mos fets power amps or a very powerful sweet amp and your jaw will just hit the floor. It's almost "tubey" sounding..not as clean as tubes but super phasey and dimentional..if that turns your crank ( It does mine esp on say Jean Michele Jarre - Oxygen where you are just IMMERSED in the music)
And yes..they are hard to find but fortunately they are built like TANKS.
I am still looking for handles for my units..any suggestions?

Attachments

• ka7300.JPG
    ka7300.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 542
Great photos Glenn. :tresbon: And thanx for including the nudie of my beloved 7300. She continues to purr right along driving my vintage setup with ease. :thmbsp:

Ken!
Good to see you back.:thmbsp:
Since the last time we exchanged e-mails,I've acquired not one,but two Kenwood 700C preamps.One of which was refurbished(to better than stock)by the One and Only EchoWars.

(Take a bow,EchoWars):)

Though I never ended-up getting a KA 7300,I can say that the 700C is one of those components which becomes the centerpiece of the system,by way of it's stunning(and that word doesn't do it justice)sound quality.The sheer operational flexibility of the unit is merely a handy byproduct.
Have you ever heard a 700C Ken?

Very nice, I'm going to have to add one of those to my short list! :yes:

Scott

Ken!
Good to see you back.:thmbsp:
Since the last time we exchanged e-mails,I've acquired not one,but two Kenwood 700C preamps.One of which was refurbished(to better than stock)by the One and Only EchoWars.

(Take a bow,EchoWars):)

Though I never ended-up getting a KA 7300,I can say that the 700C is one of those components which becomes the centerpiece of the system,by way of it's stunning(and that word doesn't do it justice)sound quality.The sheer operational flexibility of the unit is merely a handy byproduct.
Have you ever heard a 700C Ken?
Hi
Unfortunately never had the chance to listen to a 700C
But it sounds like it's giving you some choice "sounds"
How would you describe it's characteristics?

Glenn did my 7300 and I just cannot tell you guys how good it sounds. The music has texture and depth I have not heard. I am a new audiophile and I can tell you that I am hearing things I did not. THe thing sounds FREAKING AWESOME and I am driving some very pedestrian vintage Sony 160w max thrift shop speakers. Glenn is a magician and yes....I am dude who blew the first one up.......
They call me the tinkerer.....LOL

Aren't they just wonderful?
Sooo lush...almost dreamy like and scary height depth and width placement.
All of these factors making it seem like you are in middle of the music.

Ken,
I've had a lot of success with this system in extracting the impression of 'height'.
For example with the track '1983,A Merman should I turn to be' from Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album (vinyl Hendrix Family pressing),there are percussion effects which in my room appear to originate six feet above the speaker(or about 10 feet up in the air).
The impression of depth has been more problematic.It has taken a number of system refinements to all add to the overall result.
If I was to properly assign praise for the end result,I'd have to praise the turntable/cartridge and phono preamp combination,because if they weren't capable in this area then nothing which followed them in the system chain could resolve/restore the missing information.
Having said that,using the Kenwood 700C,and especially the EchoWars modified 700C is sonically akin to removing a shackle or eliminating a bottle-neck from the sound.
The tonality of the sound is much more authentic,the focus of the individual images is sharpened,the apparent space around individual images is evident making it seem like each individual image exists in it's own space/place.The soundfield also expands in front of and behind the speakers.The dynamic range seems much more expanded,yet with an apparent increase in the discreet resolution of fine movements of the dynamics.So the range between very loud and very soft seems to be increased as well as the ability to discern fine shifts.
I've never heard the 7300.I passed-up an opportunity to buy one here in Australia(mainly because of the results I was getting from the 700C),but perhaps I should have bought it to assess what you'd told me about it's preamp section.
I don't completely attribute the sound quality I'm getting here at home to any one component in particular,because I've heard every component and tweek contribute a little of it's own excellence to the overall result.Having said that however,having a range of well regarded preamps here to swap in and out of the system,has driven home to me that the preamp occupies a crucial role.It has to handle the output of the source and then pass that hopefully unmolested to the poweramps.
If nothing else,my adventures over the last 5 years since buying the Altecs and building a system around them has shown me that there is no one part of the system which takes primacy for the overall result,and that a balance of abilities amongst the individual components is necessary for passing the talents of the source component all the way to the ear.
If there is an Audiokarma member near to you who owns a Kenwood 700C,I'd suggest arranging a get together,so that you can take along your 7300 and compare the two. :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom