No Sound after cleaning of a slider and switch CR-1000

sssboa

So I tried to clean bass slider and turnover switch for bass.
I dismantled the switches and sliders and cleaned outside of the box.
I applied contact cleaner, compressed air and finished with lube. Now I have almost no sound. No change when I move the switch and slider. Can I still save it somehow?

Sliders are most likely bent or installed incorrectly. Its easy to bend them out of shape. And extremely difficult to bend them back into working shape.

Sliders are most likely bent or installed incorrectly. Its easy to bend them out of shape. And extremely difficult to bend them back into working shape.
Thx.
I don't think I did anything to bend them. I applied some chemicals that could remove old grease...
BTW. If the turnover switch in neutral, does it bypass the slider?

In the fog of war a wire between Filter Amp Circuit Board and Tone Control Circuit Board snapped off. I resoldered it and got back the left channel, clear as ever. The right channel is still missing. I had it before a few times that I lost entirely the right channel after deoxiting a potentiometer with left channel being perfect.
I will be swapping the switches and sliders between my two Yamahas to narrow down the cause.

So I fitted the switches and sliders from the other Yamaha and still no right channel. :(
Also the problems I wanted to get rid of by cleaning the switches and sliders are exactly the same on the remaining channel now so the reason lay somewhere else anyway.

Last edited:
Damn, I even recapped everything, cleaned pots. I lost the background hiss I didn't care much about. I have the best sounding left channel ever, and only left channel :(

Last edited:
Was this missing the right channel before trying to clean the switch ?

Was this missing the right channel before trying to clean the switch ?
No. I had both channels before cleaning. So then I borrowed switches from the other Yammy thinking that I had messed the switches by cleaning them but the channel was still missing so switches are ok it seems. I also replaced caps on 2 small pcbs while cleaning the switches, filter amp and tone amp so I replaced them again now. I also resoldered some of those thin fragile cables between the boards now cause while i was investigating they were snapping off.

The whole reason for me cleaning the switches was that the bass turnover switch is a bit noisy when used and when it's switched left or right and bass slider is at zero then I have bass reduction. ( In the other Yammy I have no change in bass in such case.) Then when the bass slider is around 3.5 on scale I have no change in bass when I turn the turnover switch, above 3.5 I have bass boost. So it's like point 0 is at 3.5. Not such a biggy as i don't use the tone corretion almost but in the other Yammy I have it is perfect neutral at 0 and bass boost above it.
Anyway I swapped the switches and sliders between the Yammies and the problem with neutral being at 3.5 still prevailed, i could hear same issue on the one channel i have left now. The same with the turnover switch for bass being a bit noisy. So my initial problem lies not in switches themselves. I guess it's the small tone control pcbs that cause the issue?

I think the right channel is absent completely and what I have on it is due to not-perfect channel separation, like getting some left channel in right channel due to electrical interference or something :), does it make sense?
I don't have any clue like I switch/turn/touch something and I get some volume in the missing channel. I have some faint volume that goes up slightly as I turn volume knob up, when the volume knob is at extreme up than I have some harsh disturbance when I turn the volume abruptly and that's it. I deoxited the volume pot and coupler at the back but no slightest change.

Back
Top Bottom