No sound from FM on Marantz SR 5100

Simpleman150

Got an intermittent problem with the FM on my 5100. When I switch the power on or switch modes from phono, tape, etc back to FM, there's no sound even though the digital signal strength and power lights are all lit. The problem is fixed if I tune slightly away from the FM station and then return. Then, the sound comes out.

Any ideas on how to remedy?

Thanks.

I don't know much about those 'modern' units, but it sounds to me like a muting problem. Have you tried cleaning the FM Muting switch?

A quick test, muting control R207.

Mark the location of R207, then turn it first in one direction then the other and see what happens.

Also slight misadjustment of the lower coil of L201 (FM detector) could be an issue. Does the center tuning led come on without an antenna connected and no station tuned in?

upload_2018-3-6_23-10-48.png

A quick test, muting control R207.

Mark the location of R207, then turn it first in one direction then the other and see what happens.

Also slight misadjustment of the lower coil of L201 (FM detector) could be an issue. Does the center tuning led come on without an antenna connected and no station tuned in?

View attachment 1131403
I LIKE MUSIC,

Thanks for the detailed tips. I haven't had the problem I described for the last few days. Think I'm just going to wait and see if it returns. If it does, then I'll try what you and catrafter recommended and report back.

I don't know much about those 'modern' units, but it sounds to me like a muting problem. Have you tried cleaning the FM Muting switch?

Haven't had the problem recently so I think I'll hold off for now...if it comes back, then I'll try the suggestions and let you know.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom