No, thank you! Lady Gaga headphones?!

Try to find one thing left in this world that does not have a marketing component utilizing some kind of name recognition to generate sales. I don't see anything different here than the food you are for breakfast this morning, the car you drive, or the thing you use to play your MP3s with.

As for lady Gaga. I really like her music and i like her as an artist. If some of you were to get past your prejudices just a little bit, you might just find that what she is putting out, although fully immersed in the machinery of pop culture, is actually tons and tons of fun. (Remember fun?).

I listened to her "The Fame" LP (yes, on vinyl) this morning, literally between sides of Joni Mitchell and John Coltrane.

Compared to her contemporaries, (Brittany Spears, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift) what Ms Gaga is offering is well made (and did I mention fun?) And to write it off as "terrible" only makes me wonder what terrible music you might be comparing it to. (Journey? REO Speedwagon? Elton John?) Sure, it vacuous pop music, but it well made and interesting (to me) vacuous pop music.

Give her a try. It FUN! Whay does it have to be anything more?
Watch this video, and tell me if after 5 seconds you think she's not trying to make you smile. It's just so over-the-top. That's the point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I

Last edited:
Compared to her contemporaries, (Brittany Spears, Ke$ha, Taylor Swift) what Ms Gaga is offering is well made (and did I mention fun?) And to write it off as "terrible" only makes me wonder what terrible music you might be comparing it to. (Journey? REO Speedwagon? Elton John?) Sure, it vacuous pop music, but it well made and interesting (to me) vacuous pop music.

One thing I really appreciate about her is that she makes no pretense about being anything but a fun pop star. Unlike bands you mentioned like Journey who write the same kind of formula driven pop and hide behind a rock curtain, she's just out there saying "so what?". I think she's refreshing. Still wish that I wouldn't here her music in the coffee shop I stop in every morning, because I end up singing her stuff all day in my head, and I really don't want "poker face" in my head all day.

BTW Brett...I think it's awesome that you went all the way up to a Well Tempered Record Player so that you could spin Lady Ga Ga...I'm being serious. That's fun and funny.

Sorry Brett, I just can't do her music, and I really don't think she's all that cute.. way too commercial and sounds way too typical... Now someone like Goldfrapp I really dig her music and could stand to look at advertising anything she wants.. Even Madonna had a not so typical sound... Gaga just seems to sound like everything else I've ever heard...

Try to find one thing left in this world that does not have a marketing component utilizing some kind of name recognition to generate sales. I don't see anything different here than the food you are for breakfast this morning, the car you drive, or the thing you use to play your MP3s with.

As for lady Gaga. I really like her music and i like her as an artist. If some of you were to get past your prejudices just a little bit, you might just find that what she is putting out, although fully immersed in the machinery of pop culture, is actually tons and tons of fun. (Remember fun?).

I listened to her "The Fame" LP (yes, on vinyl) this morning, literally between sides of Joni Mitchell and John Coltrane.

Give her a try. It FUN! Whay does it have to be anything more?
Watch this video, and tell me if after 5 seconds you think she's not trying to make you smile. It's just so over-the-top. That's the point!

:withstpd:

Good post.

From today WashPost:

Quoted: Lady Gaga gets a 'real job' at Polaroid

"I am so excited to extend myself behind the scenes as a designer and to -- as my father puts it -- finally, have a real job."

-- Lady Gaga, the platinum-selling pop performance artist, announcing her new gig as creative director and inventor of specialty products for Polaroid (still in business!), which will involve "developing prototypes in the vein of fashion/ technology/ photography innovation" ...

As stated before, I have no I'll will against her.

I don't find her music abhorrent.

Still, I can't say I prefer it.

I enjoy the big thumpy meat of Alison Goldfrapp and her band Goldfrapp, or even moreso, Merrill Beth Nisker, known as Peaches.

Regarding Peaches, in fact- I own all the releases.

Other fun? Miss Pussycat's tracks with Quintron, especially on the Swamp Tech release and Too Thirsty for Love release.

Bikini Kill, LeTigre, Lunachicks, Leslie & the Lys, also lots of fun.

As stated before, I have no I'll will against her.

I don't find her music abhorrent.

Still, I can't say I prefer it.

I enjoy the big thumpy meat of Alison Goldfrapp and her band Goldfrapp, or even moreso, Merrill Beth Nisker, known as Peaches.

Regarding Peaches, in fact- I own all the releases.

Other fun? Miss Pussycat's tracks with Quintron, especially on the Swamp Tech release and Too Thirsty for Love release.

Bikini Kill, LeTigre, Lunachicks, Leslie & the Lys, also lots of fun.

I confess to owning all of Peaches releases, and to having seen her live 4 times, going as far back as 6 years ago.

I confess to owning all of Peaches releases, and to having seen her live 4 times, going as far back as 6 years ago.

I'm not suprised. :)

I wouldn't be suprised if you were familiar with all the bands/performers I mentioned.

Saw Either LeTigre or Bikini Kill (fairly interchangeable) one sweaty summer day at Coney Island. The Donnas played that day too.

This is a bit back, when Coney Island was less a little Russia.

I'm not suprised. :)

I wouldn't be suprised if you were familiar with all the bands/performers I mentioned.

Saw Either LeTigre or Bikini Kill (fairly interchangeable) one sweaty summer day at Coney Island. The Donnas played that day too.

This is a bit back, when Coney Island was less a little Russia.

I've seen The Donnas live - I bet that was the better part of 15 years ago.

I remember sitting at home on a Friday night with my parents,and THIS came on.My folks had about the same comments that have been made in this thread.But Ive read at least one thread praising this release.Maybe we are all just getting old....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ymyWS82NsY

Thanks for the link!

Just think of the care he took in deciding he wanted his corset to stop before reaching his nipples.

:D

I suppose after Dr. Dre stuck his name on some headphones, it was inevitable that the latest super-self-marketing pop flavor-of-the-month had to follow suit:

This is one set of cans I would NOT be interested in. In fact, just looking at that picture almost makes me want to :puke:

What is wrong with the picture? :dunno:

But I'll bet the things sell in large numbers, further encouraging manufacturers to make such link-ups. Maybe one day no one will buy brands and models any more, just "names".

Don't we already? :scratch2:

Lady Gaga appreciates her fans so much that she spent over $1,000 on pizza for those who attended an autograph signing.

The 23-year-old, whose real name is Stefani Germanotta, heard that her patient fans had waited all night at a record store to see her, so she ordered pizza for them.

As well as splashing out $1,000 on the pizzas, which were provided by fast-food chain Papa John's, Lady Gaga is also said to have tipped "very, very well".

She wrote on Twitter: "Sending all my little monsters little pizzas for waiting all night for me at Best Buy. I hope you're hungry...eat up I love u!"

She had earlier written: "To all my beautiful fans, i love you more than anything. thanku 4 making the fame monster #1 on itunes. you are the only reward i need."

http://www.metrolyrics.com/2009-lad...pizza-for-fans-at-autograph-signing-news.html

Last edited:
I agree 100%. Unlike most label-created pop artists, she's worked her way up in the business, starting off as a songwriter for other pop artists. From what I've read, she seems like an interesting individual.

Look at all of the Beatles merchandising in the 60s...

Look at all the Beatles merchandising STILL!:yes: And yes, she is quite interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom