Noise on one channel of phono stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idler50

In an obscene stroke of luck, I happened upon a Pioneer SX-850 last week at our local recycling station that followed me home. I cleaned it up and it looks like new. I've been enjoying it and everything seemed to work great until last night. I was listening to an album last night while I worked. The album ended and I ignored it probably for 30 minutes when all of a sudden holy hell broke loose. I thought my house was under attack. It was the stereo sending all kinds of loud pops and noise through the right channel. It sounded like someone dropping 100 microphones. I played with it a little more just now and the noise is still present. It's only on the right channel and only on either of the 2 phono inputs. I tried 2 turntables and it's the same with both. If I disconnect the turntable the noise is still there. When I power up it takes 15-20 seconds for the noise to really build up but it's there. AM, FM, and aux with streaming music all seem fine. I suppose I could go get a pre-amp and run the turntable through aux but that's not ideal. Is there someplace easy that I could look to get my phono stages back in order? Something I haven't considered cleaning yet? I had cleaned phono 1 rca jacks already. I hadn't phono 2 figuring it wouldn't be used right away. I cleaned the pots best as I could. I didn't clean the push buttons as they seem really closed up tight.

And on a side note, once the face plate was removed I could see the front of the pots and it looked like a small opening on the front. Did Pioneer actually engineer those to be cleaned without going through the bottom? I went through the bottom but was wondering if I could have done it easier.

Thanks in advance.

Probably need this moved to the SS forum if you want replies that can help. This is the tuner forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom