Noise, Signal Tube or Power Tube.

acass

I have a pair of VTL 300 deluxe mono blocks which are making a humming noise. One hums at a little lower frequency than the other. Each has 8 JJ 6550 power tubes, 1 12AT7 and 1 12BH7. Which is most likely to be causing trouble?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Alan.

Well, if you suspect it is the tubes you can pull the signal tubes 1 at a time starting from the input and see if that makes go away. If it is still there after pulling the tubes up to the power tubes then it is most likely not the tubes.

how long has that hum been around, did it just suddenly appear? Try shorting the input of each monoblock and see if the hum remains, this should generally tell if the hum is external or internal to each monoblock.
Also, have you made any interconnect changes lately?

Well, if you suspect it is the tubes you can pull the signal tubes 1 at a time starting from the input and see if that makes go away. If it is still there after pulling the tubes up to the power tubes then it is most likely not the tubes.
I wasn't sure it was safe to pull the signal tubes as VTL warns against running the Amps with no interconnects

how long has that hum been around, did it just suddenly appear? Try shorting the input of each monoblock and see if the hum remains, this should generally tell if the hum is external or internal to each monoblock.
Also, have you made any interconnect changes lately?
The amps have been sat for a while so I'm not sure if it had the hum before. At 75 my hearing is shot so I have to have my ear close to the speakers to hear it but my son in law was visiting and he spotted it as soon as I turned them on. I've changed the source from cd to tuner, I've changed preamps and I've tried various cables but the hum remains. It has a bit of a hiss to it so I think it's a tube also it is a different frequency in each amp. I will try another pair of mono blocks and see what I get from them.

If there is a balance adjustment or individual bias adjustments per-tube, are they set correctly? An imbalance in the output stage can cause hum.

Knowing the frequency of the hum will help too. 120 hz is power supply, which is also what an imbalance will be. 60 hz will be heater-cathode leakage, more likely one of the small signal tubes.

Quick and dirty way to rule out the small tubes is to simply remove them and see if the hum is still there. If it is you know its not them.

personally, I would not pull the signal/preamp tubes and run the amp. Depending on the circuit, this may in fact induce noise or cause other issues. It is always best to try a different set of tubes from your stash.
Here is an interesting 'fix' for VTL designed amps. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/184161-vtl-hum-3.html, top of the page.
I am not familiar with VTL amps, but for interest sakes, the signal ground on all my circuits are 'lifted'. I use an RC circuit instead of the diodes as describes in the above article.

If the amps are out of warranty , what are you going to lose by checking the circuit via removing the amplification devices in a logical step wise fashion. You might not want to have the amp hooked up to your best speakers but as long as they have a load it should not be a problem. It would be like the amp has a dead tube.

I use a #2 pencil and gently tap on tubes with the eraser listening for a response. It has to be a #2 though. :dunno:

I think I have found the reason, well maybe not the reason but the culprits. I put the right 12BH7 in the left amp and the left amp 12BH7 in the right amp and the hum pitch followed the tube.I am now in the market for a pair of new 12BH7's. Any recommendations?

mcshanedesign. Or you can become a subscriber, and put a WTB on barter town.

Back
Top Bottom